Home Forums Explore Subjects Classical Art Classical Forum – Hall of Fame Project: wax or oil resist techniques

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    artbyjune

:wave: Hi everyone and welcome to the wax resist project.

Its a technique we don’t see often in the classical forum but I think its an exciting one to explore and has been used by major artists, e.g., Henry Moore (UK artist- more about Moore later).

[FONT=Times New Roman]Oil and water do not mix. [/FONT]
        [FONT=Times New Roman][/FONT]
        [FONT=Times New Roman]Essentially with the resist technique you use a wax crayon, candle, encaustic, or OP to make your initial marks…e.g. marking in the highlights on a figure. Then you lay on washes in a water-based medium, e.g. watercolours, gouache, ink. [/FONT]
        [FONT=Times New Roman]The initial resist marks should not be in a water-soluble wax pastel otherwise the next wash will obliterate the marks. [/FONT]
        [FONT=Times New Roman]You can work with simple marks and washes or as you progress you could be quite complex and more adventurous in your combinations of resist and wash.[/FONT]
        [FONT=Times New Roman]Challenges for this project.[/FONT]
        [FONT=Times New Roman] [/FONT]

[*][FONT=Times New Roman]use white wax for highlights and cover with a simple coloured watercolour wash[/FONT]
          [*][FONT=Times New Roman]use coloured wax crayons or oil pastels and gouache washes[/FONT]
          [*][FONT=Times New Roman]use wax or op with ink washes[/FONT]
          [*][FONT=Times New Roman]copy a Henry Moore resist drawing[/FONT]

[FONT=Times New Roman]Do figures, landscapes still life…your choice. WIPs are very welcomed so we can see your method.[/FONT]
        [FONT=Times New Roman]If you discover a novel way of using the resist method, or a link to artwork using resist, please add it to the thread.[/FONT]
        [FONT=Times New Roman]Have fun creating in a new way.[/FONT]

:wave: http://june-walker.pixels.com/
        Life beats down and crushes the soul.... and art reminds you that you have one. Stella Adler

artbyjune

Here are some links to techniques of using resist.

http://painting.about.com/library/weekly/aawaxresist2.htm

http://www.watercolorpainting.com/watercolorpainting/waxresist.htm

Life beats down and crushes the soul.... and art reminds you that you have one. Stella Adler

artbyjune

Henry Moore

A noted Bristish sculptor who used the resist technique to work out compositions for large sculptures of figures, many of which were then cast in bronze. The sculptures are found in various sites around UK, e.g., grounds of the Scottish museum of modern art.

His sketchbooks are full of drawings using the wax resist technique.

Links to biography and more info on Henry Moore

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Moore

http://www.henry-moore-fdn.co.uk/

artbyjune

Some drawings by Henry Moore.

Nickel

Hi June,

Another great program! :thumbsup:
                        I did this today, my first time with wax resist.
                        Not sure if I did it right, I used a white, red, green crayon, then some pretty thick watercolor and gouache.

This is a painting I wanted to do for V-Day but didn’t get to it.
                        after
                        Cupid with Butterfly by Bouguereau

wax, watercolor, gouache, on paper
                        5×9″

:wave: Nickel

artbyjune

This is so beautiful Nickel. The resist seems to give a 3D quality to the artwork.

I am a beginner with this technique. I think it is a matter of experimenting with various combinations to see what works and what you like.

I tried one this morning too…very loosely and quickly done just to see what’s what. Inspired by the reclinging figures of Moore, I set up a mannikin. I need a few more attempts to get it but I’ll show it anyway to get us going….

artbyjune

Yep, I need to work on it!!!

Forgot to say: cartridge paper, about 8 by 12 ins, OPs for resist and watercolour washes.:(

artbyjune

There is a technique for a strong black and white image using resist which I used years ago. I haven’t done anything in this way recently and have no surviving images. But here’s the technique.

Use black/ white OPs and Indian ink for the washes. Draw your image with the white OP for highlights and the black OP for the darks. Then lay on a thin wash of black ink. You can grade the white and black OP so you have tonal areas in your drawing. Keep repeating layers of OP and ink wash until you achieve the result you want. It can produce a very dramatic monochrome image.

For color resist, you can draw the image in OP in various colours and then layer on your ink or watercolour in various colours too. You can repeat the OP and wash layers many times. I think it could get a bit unruly so perhaps best to start off with a limited range of colours. You can also scrape back the layers for a sgraffito look.

There may be more info on the OP forum. I’ll check it out later.

artbyjune

Here’s my attempt at the mannikin again…using black and white OP and black ink washes. A bit mundane but its a learning experience. You can see its effective for direction of light.

I think I’ll try a full colour resist painting later…maybe with wax crayons instead of OPs to see what looks best.

See you later.:thumbsup:

tyree

hi gang…what a neat project june!!!! i love nickels figure, that skin looks transparent,,and the painting does look dimensional…beautiful piece….hope to give this project a try this weekend…!!!! tyree

'art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known'.....oscar wilde

eyepaint

Very cool project!

Here’s one I did this past summer with student oil pastels and then diluted acrylic ink for the background.

Then I did the figure with more oil pastels.

Cheers,

-- EP Moderator for:
                                                All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

Nickel

EP, this girl looks great! I like the action of this painting! Thank you for sharing her.

Hi Susan, thanks for the comments, I had fun!

on becoming a mod! :thumbsup:

Hi June, you always inspire! Now I am going to dig out my oil pastels and ink. :eek: I know, scary…………….:evil: I didn’t get to work on this program today. I am really attracted to some of Moore’s work. Your mannikins rock!:thumbsup: I can’t pick a favorite, they are both good.

Thanks for the comments on the angel. I was a little uneasy with the technique, it kind of made me have to give up control, not an easy thing, lol.

eyepaint

June – those last two by Henry Moore with the warm colours are so awesome :) Great job on the revision of the mannikin resist drawing!
                                                        Nickel – thank you. Cute little cupid. I’m sure your valentine loves it even if it’s a few days late :)
                                                        Tyree – when did you become a mod? Congrats!

-- EP Moderator for:
                                                        All Media Art Events, Artwork From Life, Art Journals

artbyjune

Hi Tyree and EP. EP your girl looks very lively…full of action. Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Nickel, the method is good for encouraging experimentation and ‘letting go’. Tyree, congrats on becoming a mod..:D

tyree

thank you thank you,,,i just became one,,,now if i can figure out the exercises im givin to become one, ill be a happy camper:p ….ep…i remember this one…shes so lively and colourful,,,nice nice piece i thought….i have to work this weekend:mad: again:mad: but, am still going to try this with ops and gouache….tyree:wave:

'art is the most intense mode of individualism that the world has known'.....oscar wilde

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 47 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.