Home Forums Explore Media Acrylics Acrylics – Hall of Fame Camellia Bush : wip … now Finished – post#47

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
  • Author
    Ellis Ammons

This is a read only thread – the original, if you wish to comment, can be found here.

Started this painting yesterday. I’m mostly just working on the leaves for now. And hopefully I’ll get alot more detail in the flowers also. Probably work on it for another week.

At times I’m getting a photo realistic result and other times nothing seems to be working. I’m in a love/hate relationship with acrylics. Mostly love though :):heart:

This is Golden fluid acrylics on a 18×24 birch panel.
        Thanks for looking C&C welcome.

Check out my work in the acrylics Hall of Fame Camellia WIP
        oil and acrylic paintings..

WEll, the leaves look done (to a photo-realist standard) and maybe just need a green glaze? Are you working those flowers with an airbrush?
        I’m sure it will be superb!

Cheers, Maureen

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in the Florals/Botanicals forum , WDE in the All Media Art Events , Different Strokes in Acrylics forum .

gaykir

Oh this is going to be nice. Can’t wait to watch this develop!

http://gaylekirbyart.blogspot.com/

Looking good.

A painting is never really done as long as I can get my hands on it.

Ellis Ammons

Thank you, thank you.

WEll, the leaves look done (to a photo-realist standard) and maybe just need a green glaze? Are you working those flowers with an airbrush?
                I’m sure it will be superb!

The flowers are just a quick 5 minute airbrush underpainting with quinadricone magenta. They aren’t really even started. I like to use the airbrush for underpainting sketches and to soften/loose edges. But at a certain point can’t use it anymore because of overspray. Especially trying to spray titanium. It’s like dusting the painting with chalk. :eek:

I really want to take this one to my local gallery and maybe a couple others and see if they will put them up. I’m actually planning on doing a series of these.

Ellis Ammons

Well, the detail progress is slow going. I’ve been working in the upper left quarter. I may be trying to work to small and I may have to use oil paint. I’m mixing all these little piles and my paint drys before I get to use most of it. It’s a waste. I paint maybe 10 minutes, and then scrape, mix, wash brushes for the next 30. but acryic does seem better for getting everything drawn out. But all my little nuance colors get scraped and tossed long before they have a chance to make it to the canvas.

Getting things to look right like the grey/blue reflection on the leaves is very challenging. I know some of you are good at detail work but I can’t really find anything on youtube to help. It’s all gigantic hyperreal paintings and fur tutorials.

So I painted in the top left 3 red flowers today. They still need some work.

fedetony

Is really lovely… What nozzle size, pressure and which acrylics are you using?
                        Learning to control the overspray is challenging, you have to tune your equipment for it.

Federico Garcia
                        My Blog
                        C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Mary

The leaves are awesome! I love the colors of the flowers and leaves together. The flower in the top center is really working for you.

Mary.

Mary Thompson
                            http://www.wildpinesstudio.net

Constructive Criticism Always Welcome.

Ellis Ammons

Thank you Mary! Uplifting critique :)

Fedetony, thank you as well. I’m using a .3 nozzle at around 20-35 psi. Depending on how close i get. I’m using golden fluid acrylics for both brushwork and ab. I don’t really use the ab much at this stage. I get carried away with it and I can ruin a painting pretty quick.

I painted the last flower in that cluster today using just brushwork. I think it’s turning out really nice. Seems to have a realistic quality. I got a new brush – synthetic hog hair round and it made a big difference. Could really load up the brush and concentrate without having to go back down to the palette constantly. I’ll save the nit picky details until the end in case I make any composition changes.

fedetony

OK, 0.3 is quite good size, not too small not to big :). You need to try to lower the pressure to the 20 psi, then go very close to the surface, control the distance constant helping yourself with the other hand. Open the air, and very slowly open the paint flow. Don’t open it fully, just enough that little paint goes out, you need to build it slowly, so its just a matter of not opening the paint fast. My AB has a screw to stop the amount of paint, but I use it seldom, is just easier to get conscious about opening the paint slowly. Even if you don’t see paint going out, it is. You need constantly to clean the tip of the needle because at low pressure, the dry tip happens more often.
                                    I learned this from hunterpaul and are very great tips for using the AB. Look at this WIP for more info and tips from him.

Federico Garcia
                                    My Blog
                                    C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

This is coming along very nicely.

Synthetic hog hair?

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                                    Every painting is a new adventure.

Ellis Ammons

Thank you Michelle. I really like the synthetic hog hair so far. It holds enough
                                        water and paint to let it flow, and doesn’t dry out in 10 seconds. Holds a point better and doesnt react weird to water. I found a set of brushes made specifically for fluid acrylics so I ordered those and some more of the synth hog. Hopefully I’ll find some brushes that work. My current set is just about like painting with a stick “:)

And thanks for your help fedetony. I’ll try that and look into the WIP.

Today I painted in the multicolored flowers along the top and worked a little on some leaves in the upper right. Bringing them forward.

Colorado_Ed

Wow! Those leaves look great!

"The universe is under no obligation to make sense to you." Neil deGrasse Tyson

My blog: http://ejsherman.blogspot.com/
                                            Instagram: edward_sherman

Konfuzd

This is looking gorgeous so far!

C & C is A-OK!

Dcam
                                                  Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 66 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.