Home Forums The Learning Center Studio Tips and Framing Protecting surfaces when painting in living area

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    lorraine57

I have decided to get back into painting after a hiatus. We moved into a new to us home since I’ve last painted. We redid the entire house so it is all new surfaces (floors, walls, doors, etc.). Contemporary finishes…almost all white.
        I primarily use watercolors and would like to try acrylics so hazards aren’t an issue. The issue is how to protect all these new surfaces from paint spatter, etc. I’m not a wild painter but just a flick of the wrist can send spatters flying.

The only place I can paint where that won’t be a concern would be my (unfinished) laundry room but space is tight there and since it’s in the basement, I’m afraid out of sight will be out of mind. I do have a spare bedroom I can set up in but once again, it’s brand new hardwood, white walls, white trim, etc.

I thought of buying cheap clear shower curtains or something and hanging them with command strips. I thought of trying to get ahold of large pieces of cardboard (like the size a door comes in) and using it like a screen behind the easel….then I figured that all the creative folks here might have had the same dilemma so I’d ask here…..

Any ideas?

Lorraine

contumacious

Our studio is in a bedroom with solid wood floors. We covered everything that might get paint on it with tempered hardboard that costs $8 for a 4×8 foot sheet. We sealed the joints with heavy duty packing tape. It has worked really well. The hardboard would not work if it was on top of thick carpet. Your chairs and furniture would punch holes through it.

ntl

You might be interested in reading https://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/showthread.php?t=617489

I am severely reactive to chemicals. I paint with oil paint and walnut oil. I DO NOT use solvents.
                There are several threads on wet canvas re toxins in paint.
                Good for you, getting back to it finally. I hope you enjoy it again.

ddattler

I have used a cheap 8×10 rug to protect the floor and an old dressing screen to protect the walls from splatter.

http://wildlifearts.com
                    Practice what you know, and it will help to make clear what now you do not know. ~ Rembrandt

In Art, Learning to see is at least as important as the actual creation of Art. ~ George Benedict,

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.