Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting Oil Painting – Hall of Fame Oil-from-life challenge, Aug. 2018: optional "blue" theme!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
  • Author
    Grotius

Happy August, everyone! Let’s paint from life! As always, feel free to post whatever you like — landscapes, portraits, figures, still lifes, whatever — so long as your work is painted primarily from life. This month I’m suggesting an optional theme: paintings that feature the color blue. I’m hoping some of you are looking at blue ocean, or blue rivers, or blue skies, or blue pottery for a still life, or maybe a model with blue hair. As always, the theme is just a suggestion; post whatever you like. Four guidelines:

1. Please paint primarily from life — not from photographs or imagination. It’s okay to post finished studio works based on studies from life; in that case, please post the original study as well as the finished work.

2. Please submit something created either last month or this month, not something you’ve done in the more distant past.

3. Please paint in oils. That said, please feel free to post studies in any other medium, so long as you also post your oil painting(s).

4. Please list the size of your painting and support. E.g., ‘”8×10″, oil on panel.’

Optional: Tell us the title of your painting!

—————–

Unfinished works, studies, and outright failures are all welcome. There’s no requirement that you invite comment & critique. If you’d rather post without being critiqued, just say so; that’s fine by me!

You can find older oil-from-life threads in the “hall of fame” subforum of the Oil Painting forum.

I hope you’ll all consider posting a painting or two! Thanks.

- Geoff.
        My website and blog: https://www.geoffwatsonart.com/

ronsu18

thanks for the new tvread! it’s vacation time but here up north the daunting bonnet of swelter and smoke is subsiding, making plein air possible. mosquitoes grilled to dust, looking forward to late blue blooms to work with. or storm clouds maybe. this is a painting month for me, finally! :clap:

C&C welcome

Grotius

Glad to hear it, ronsu! The weather here in the east has been pretty bad for plein air this summer. In June we had record heat; in July we had record rain. Alas, August has started off rainy too, but I hope it will stop sooner or later. In the meantime, I’ve been doing lots of drawing with my fountain pens, as my life class doesn’t resume until September. I’m determined to get some oil-from-life done, though, so I’ll put together a still life next week if it’s still raining.

- Geoff.

Grotius

The weather has gone from rain to oppressive heat, and it’s way too hot to paint outdoors. What’s more, my life class doesn’t restart until next month. So for now I’ve been busying myself cataloging my work in anticipation of my show this December.

I checked my contract, and I realized I have to prepare only 35-60 works, not 60-90. So that’s not quite such a big framing bill, lol. I’ve cataloged 109 possible candidates for inclusion, so I need to whittle that down, but that’s a nice problem to have. I still hope to paint a few larger works between now and then. About 50 of my 109 are 9×12″ or smaller; another 50 are between that size and, say, 16″x20″; and just 7 or 8 are 18″x24″ or larger.

Anyway, I’m sort of relieved that I am more prepared than I realized, and that framing will be less daunting. But it’s still a lot of work ahead of me!

I hope to paint something new once the weather improves!

- Geoff.

ronsu18

good news!
                        even 60 pieces suddenly sounds like ordinary work. you’ll be able to manage this with a frequent smile on your face and enjoy the process. painting larger works sounds smart, i believe it will help with first impressions very favourably, creating interest and inviting even more people to linger. sorry to hear about the heat, i’m so relieved it’s over up here. frost nights started immediately (lots of strawberries coming) and it’s all about firewood for the next two weeks, cleaning the shed (mice + weasels = hazmat suit ), carrying, stacking. looking for blue all the while :).

C&C welcome

The weather has gone from rain to oppressive heat

it is DREADFUL. :(
                        if I go plein airing right now i might die for reals.

Lady Mars Orange Marmalade Stapleford
                        Moderator: OIls, Pastels, Plein Air

Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken. -Oscar Wilde

Dcam

Sargent was always ready in all kinds of weather: Woolen suit, woolen hat, tie and dress shirt, Umbrella strapped to his leg (to cool things off), and of course…..Dress Shoes.

Sargent would not have been out in this weather. Not in that outfi!! :eek:

Stapleton Kearns would be out but he is immune to all weather and also he wears tshirts.

I am not immune. I am a HEAT WIMP and humidity is definitely lethal.

Dcam

As I read your Post Jess….a massive thunderstorm is looming..dark greenish sky.
                                Exciting and scary. Might cool things down. Going to get my woolen outfit. B’ back.

I think it might roll this way too.

I’ll pass on the soggy wool, you have fun with that bud. :D

Grotius

I love that picture of Sargent! Did he never spill paint on his nice shoes?

The weather was even worse today! I spent some time outdoors, and my shirt was drenched after half an hour. I hope I’ll make up for lost time with some good paintings in the second half of the month…

- Geoff.

DMArtist7

Argh you too? We’re getting record-breaking heatwave over here in the Netherlands and it hasn’t rained at all so all grasses died. It hit our trees pretty hard too – they’re going in an early autumn mode now due to the lack of water. Recently we had a storm that cooled things down, but the real question is, for how long? It’s sunny again now.

I also have had some medical issues that finally got sorted out. The blood test found out that I’m deficient in two vitamins, B12 and D, so I have to take a high dose of them and retake the blood test in 3 months to see if they’re back in the normal range. No wonder I had no energy for art lately and that winter had a huge impact on me.

Better now than never I guess.

Good luck @Grotius with your expo. :)

Also love that picture of Sargent too. I’m not sure if wool clothes would be proper for such a hot weather though…. lol

Cheers,
                                        DMA

"Choose only one master – Nature." ~ Rembrandt

Dcam

Yes folks, I’m looking for the “blue” inside rather out in that heat.
                                            Derek to wife:
                                            Hon, don’t we have anything blue in this house?
                                            Wife: no, you know we don’t like blue.

Sigh! :angel:

Grotius

LoL! I had in mind painting blue skies or maybe blue water. Instead I’m rummaging around the house looking for something blue to put into a still life. :)

- Geoff.

kentiessen

This rose was painted last week from a small setup in the Studio. I’ve done several flower paintings recently and like this one a lot. The greenery was reworked several times for color and shape, some of it still not completely resolved. I feel working from life is my best path to learning.

Most of my work is primarily landscape and portrait and I’ve focused on Oils for the last while after working for some time with Pastel. It is interesting to switch back to them occasionally. 8×10 Oil on primed panel

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                                                    Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 93 total)
                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.