Home Forums Explore Media Pastels Soft Pastel Studio and Gallery Calley – Bengal kitten

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    randomlil

My daughter’s cat aka Bew. From a photo taken Jan 2013. Calley was clipped by a car a year later and lost an eye. In spite of having impaired vision in her remaining eye she manages very well, is still independent and adventurous.

Size A4 297mm x 210mm on Winsor & Newton Tints (blue grey) using W&N and Rembrandt soft pastels. C & C welcome.

water girl

Welcome to the pastel forum, Mary! I see that you are just starting your pastel journey. What a cutey. I’m sorry to hear about the accident, but relieved that all is well now. By incorporating the green in the eyes into the background, you have tied things together quite nicely.
            I’m known for my suggestions. :lol: I am going to make a few for your consideration for the future. First of all, white is not white. Don’t be afraid to stroke in some more light valued colors when painting white. I see hints, but you can go further when comfortable. Also, don’t be “afraid of the darks”, as someone once said. When in the art store next time, look for some very dark valued pastels sticks to keep handy.
            I also remind you that suggestions are just that…suggestions. Always consider whether or not you wish to follow one before changing a thing. It is your work, and is fine as is. I hope you will be an active member now. This is a great group of supportive artists.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

franglais

Welcome, Mary! I love the mischevious look you have captured on the face of the kitten! Tabby cats can be a challenge for me, but your fur looks so nice and soft. Thank you for sharing!
                Mike

Skappy

Cute! love the expression

Mmm_Pasta

Such a great expression!

randomlil

Please could a mod rotate my image – sent from iPad it always uploads sideways even if rotated and saved first. Can’t change EXIF.)

Water girl, thank you for your suggestions. Here is the reference photo I used.
                            The light is coming from top right. I didn’t think there was a lot of contrast between the blanket and Bew’s fur so I ‘greened’ it. I got rid of the doorway etc behind as it was a distraction from the subject. There doesn’t seem to be that much ‘dark area’ to my novice eye. Where could I darken? Should it be the background area or perhaps the blanket to the left which is in shadow? I do have quite a few dark pastels already. :)

Franglais, snappy, Mmm Pasta, spydersmomtammy – thank you for looking and for your positive encouragement.

The eyes were my fourth attempt. I had made the mistake of putting the pupils in first, then trying to add the green and the blue reflection, which looked flat and lifeless. YouTube was my friend and I watched a demo cat’s eye with pastel before try no. 4.

water girl

Mary, I was just suggesting you keep some darks around for future use. :wave: :wave: When I first began painting with pastels, there weren’t as many dark valued sticks available as there are now. Even with the few I had, I hesitated to use them.

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Karen, IAPS/MC, PSA WC Moderator-Pastels

web site , Getting started in soft pastels., What you need to know, Critique Guide Lines

randomlil

Hi Karen

No worries. :heart:
                                    I am going to try a landscape next. I have my darks at the ready! :thumbsup:

Mary

vhere

you got the wide eyed expression :)

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
                                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.