Home Forums Explore Media Fiber Arts Stitch in Time December 2019

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
  • Author
    Debby

Well, I’m late. :clear: It’s here. The last month of this year. I expected to be busier than I have been with critters. Not seeing the sales I usually do. Probably because even after all this time, I don’t market them. It’s ok, I’m not depending on this to feed me. It’s kind of a side thing.

Hope y’all are doing well and staying warm if you are in the northern hemisphere. There’s been some outrageous weather.

I’ve done as many critters as I’m going to for now. My shop is reasonably stocked online and the gallery has a dozen of them. I’ve been looking at the last doll head I created. It’s ok. It’s definitely a step in the right direction. But, when I embroidered an eye it looked like I’ve never embroidered before. :eek: Which is ridiculous because I began my embroidery journey more than 50 years ago. I think I’ve figured out what went wrong and am starting yet another doll head to give things another go.

Debby
        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

I have been busy too. Our spare room now has a tile floor. The disgusting old carpet is gone. This meant emptying the room of everything except the big furniture in 2days. Plus things are not going well with the kids so lots of hand holding.

Embroidering dolls heads is tricky. First it is not flat. Second it is more like applying makeup, it should suggest rather then being the thing. Remember the best makeup looks like no makeup.

I finished the dog sweater, it works and she is ok with it, but it keeps growing. And then she gets pee on it and …. I have to fix it.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, so sorry about the kids and things not going well. Hope they improve soon. Glad you got the flooring you wanted. I’ll keep your doll advice in mind as I begin again.

I’ve been going thru a period of bleariness. This whole night shift thing is wearing me down. I had figured I’d adapt. Alas, I have not. I’m really counting on this to put us in a good financial position as DH retires next year.

Working on (a little at a time) making a new head and doing some needle sculpting to it. Then try again with the embroidery of features. I know it could be painted. I’m not a great painter and am experienced with embroidery which is why I’m gong this direction. Tho’ after my last attempt I’m questioning myself.

Debby
                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

So I finished a flock of little birds and I got my camera and then started wrapping gifts and next thing I knew everything was wrapped and no photos had been taken. I am not sure where my head was…. I have no pictures of finished pieces.

I am still struggling with mice. And cleaning and mouse proofing. It is taking over my life.
                    Ugh.

Doll Art by Lena

Lena

Got two more done!

Doll Art by Lena

ntl

Got mice? Google mouse bucket traps!
                            Cute birdies!

Debby

Lena, sorry you are still battling mice. That’s got to be miserable. The birds turned out cute.

Hi ntl. :wave:

Another dragon crisis is upon me. The gallery suddenly sold out of all the dragons I had up there. They have asked me to provide twice as many this time. I had stopped making them. I’ve got that many. It just kind of devastates my online shop to do so. That just means I’m back to making dragons again to fill up the shop again. I should probably make extras to accommodate the gallery. Get ahead a little even.

Debby
                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

Got mice? Google mouse bucket traps!
                                    Cute birdies!

Forget it. These mice are to smart. We use sticky traps where they run.

I am cleaning and stapling metal mesh screen over any possible entrances. Stuffing steel wool in crevices.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, sounds like you really need a good mouser type cat in your life. Some domestic cats have no idea they are supposed to catch mice. Wish you the best in this war.

Dragons have flown away to the gallery. Now to get busy sewing them again. *sigh* It would have been nice to have a bigger break away from them. Oh well…

Debby
                                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

The mouse cleaning is going slow. I have almost finished the kitchen, but I got distracted when we were putting up the tree.
                                            My exmilitary sister just got stuff she bought last month on holiday in San Francisco. The jades are nice but she is very proud of the Thomas Kincaid painting she found. Sigh, it looks like a cheap Woolworths tacky picture. The kind people paint monsters on. I said “that looks like it fits nicely over the fireplace ” when she asked me about it.
                                            She and my oldest have same taste, Sears catalogue style.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, I admire your restraint. Some people are afraid to be themselves and rely on average to tell them what is styling. Sorry about the painting.

Just busy sewing dragons. I’m not shopping or making for family this year. It’s been too rough with DH on night shift and me being there with him. I’m having a hard enough time finding the energy to sew dragons and keep adulting. I am so tired all the time.

Debby
                                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

The kitchen has been all cleaned. Most stuff has been put away. Now to start baking for Christmas. (And put down more traps) I am actively looking for a cat now.

I have been knitting hats for charity but I missed the deadline. I am watching a winter train ride from Trondheim to Bodo in Norway, 9 hours while streaming jazz in the background while knitting. My body is objecting to moving the fridge and freezer the last 2 days and I am hoping this will distract it.

Night shift is hard when you are over 30, the body doesn’t adapt to time change well as we get older. I am not sure whether to congratulate you on the sales or commiserate with you on the extra work, lol.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, hope you find a cat soon. Relaxing after all that hard work is good. Sorry you missed the date for the hats to charity. Can you give them to another organization? Or save them till next year? I appreciate your mixed feelings of sympathy and congrats. :)

I’m naturally a lark. I’ve always been one to get sleepy as darkness comes and wake with the sun. This night shift has completely derailed me. In less than a year it’ll be over. DH is aiming for an October 1, 2020 retirement date. This is our best scenario financially and for medical insurance here in the US. In the meantime, I’m working on sewing up critters. I’m not putting pressure on myself to have them done by a certain date. Just keep on working on them. Eventually, I will be caught up again.

Debby
                                                        Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Lena

There are other places to send then. With our climate hats are always needed.

I found that when I had to do a lot of boring hand work I made a schedule and kept to it. That way I knew that right after this I will doing something I like. I had little rewards for myself too. I also played videos or audiobooks.

Doll Art by Lena

Debby

Lena, thanks for the tip.

I find videos and audio books distracting even when doing repetitive work because I’m watching or listening rather than doing. I can only do videos or audio books if I’ve already heard them a number of times and know what comes next. That way I can follow the story kind of slipping in and out of attention because I’m familiar with what is going on and didn’t really miss anything.

Debby
                                                                Guide - Fiber Art Forum

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 37 total)
                                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.