Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting If I want an 8×10 inch painting how do I calculate the "same" size for the thumbnail?

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    SoftRoses

I am beginning to sketch thumbnails now and find I’m a bit lost size wise.

Let’s say I want to paint a specific size painting. How do I make it the “same” size relatively in the thumbnail sketch, which is smaller of course in real size.

I think it would be very helpful to me so I know how large to make the objects in the sketch – I hope I’ve explained this well enough.

C&C always welcome!

OK

“8 x 10″ is pretty small so you could just make the thumbnail 4″ x 5″ if you wanted to make the thumbnail smaller again you could make it 2″ x 2 ½ “ All I’m doing is halving the dimensions each time, so proportions are staying the same.
            Just divide your painting proportions by a convenient number it wont always be a half.

:wave: Dave.

“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
            — Allen Ginsberg
            Are you ready for a Journey?
            PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting, please don’t press the like button.

Anonymous

You must pick at least one dimension then calculate the other one by this formula:
                8/10 = X/Y
                say you pick 3 inches for Y.
                multiply 3 x 8, then divide that by 10.
                thus 3 x 8 = 24, then 24 divided by 10 = 2.4 inches.
                so a 2.4 x 3 inch thumbnail would equal the aspect ratio of 8 x 10 inches.

t1barkode

I was having A LOT of trouble with this exact same issue myself. I finally figured out a great way to deal with it. This works great for me.

I use an image editing software called GIMP. I’m sure this would work the same in Photoshop or a similar program. I use GIMP because its free and I use a Mac.

Anyways, I create a new file in GIMP, and make it so that the size of it is the same size as my canvas. Then, I open up the image I want to paint as a new layer on top of the blank image. Then I adjust the size of this new layer until it fits on top of my canvas how I want to paint it. Then you can print it out so that it is smaller than your canvas, but still has the same relative dimensions.

I hope this makes sense to you, good luck! :)

SoftRoses

You people rock as usual!!!!!!!!

C&C always welcome!

budigart

Draw an 8X10 inch box on a piece of paper. Draw a diagonal line from one corner to the the other. Anywhere along the the diagonal will match — proportionally — your 8X10 final size. You make a mark on the diagonal, then use a T-square to lightly lay an horizontal line and a vertical line, and there is the size of your study size.

t1barkode

Draw an 8X10 inch box on a piece of paper. Draw a diagonal line from one corner to the the other. Anywhere along the the diagonal will match — proportionally — your 8X10 final size. You make a mark on the diagonal, then use a T-square to lightly lay an horizontal line and a vertical line, and there is the size of your study size.

This is a nice trick to know, never thought about trying it like that :)

adhartnaudio

I think you’ve got it already, but maybe this can help too. 8 is 80% of 10. Or 0.8 out of 1.

Next pick the longest side for your next scaled version. If that is 2 inches, just multiply the longest dimension by 0.8 to get the shorter side.

And you’re done. :)

Adam

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                                  • The topic ‘If I want an 8×10 inch painting how do I calculate the "same" size for the thumbnail?’ is closed to new replies.