Home Forums Explore Media Oil Painting The Technical Forum windsor newton london oil paints

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    modular2

Does anyone know anything about this old brand of paints?

Kory

I use windsor newton (I don’t think mine say London though)

They seem to be pretty good, you can get them in different grades, the really expensive “professional” grade ones I believe have more permanence, but I think they’re all pretty decent. (I haven’t had any problems with them)

Don Ketchek

From what I can gather, they are Alkyd oil paints – a predecessor to the W&N Griffin Alkyds sold today. Don’t know if they are exactly the same and just renamed or if they were reformulated.

Here’s a link to some on Ebay:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/37ml-Winsor-Newton-London-Alkyd-Original-/380369180230?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item9758b17806

Don

Anonymous

London oils were renamed Winton oils sometime ago, they are the same, winsor newton’s student line.

Anonymous

Londons were regular oils, watercolors, and alkyds, the London ranges of paints were made by Winsor Newton in the late 70’s and 80’s. The watercolors were replaced in name by the Cotman range in the early 80’s as were the regular oil replaced in nane by the Winton range. The alkyds became the Griffin range of paints. I was there, I used the London range of regular oil paints which were by far the most popular and available Winsor Newton student paints.
                        Here is a picture of the old former London watercolors which are now Cotmans:

Here are some old small tubes of London regular oil paints:

Here are some London alkyds:

Sid is correct, there were different versions; regular oils, and alkyds, etc. For example, the image here is regular oil paint, albeit student grade. I think that this may be an older tube than what Sid posted, but it really isn’t bad paint. It seems a bit more loose, and slightly better pigment load than present day Winton, but is comparable. I don’t think that it was as good as WN artist grade, of that day.

Anonymous

Yes JT, that tube was the earlier version of London oils which doesn’t have the Union Jack emblem on the labels like the ones I posted. I had a couple of 37 ml tubes of regular London oil paints but are long gone now, but here is a tube of venetian red London regular oil paint:

BTW, Winsor Newton introduced the very first alkyd range in 1976 and they were just called Alkyds, then they became Londons, and now are Griffins.

Thanks Sid, very interesting. I’d bet the cadmium red in that very old lead tube, is some great stuff.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
                          • The topic ‘windsor newton london oil paints’ is closed to new replies.