Home Forums Explore Subjects Fantasy and Sci-Fi Art Comic (advice wanted)

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    IsobelW

Been playing around with fantasy comics. This is just the first few panels. I’ve been wondering if I should ink it. I’ve tried before. Uploaded one panel which wasn’t a complete disaster:lol:, but most of my ink work is a lot worse. But my pencil work looks quite bad in the computer?
        I’m experimenting with levels in photoshop, but that seems to make it too dark(?) Does anyone have thoughts on this? Is it worth keeping to pencil.
        I’m only doing the comic for fun, probably won’t show it to anyone, so in that sense it doesn’t matter, but I am using it as drawing practice, so I want it to look good. Hope this doesn’t sound weird.

Attalus

I like the second one, except for the blob at seven o’clock :clear: Are you scanning your work into the computer or photographing it? In my (limited ) experience, a digital camera in strong artificial light works better on pencil than a scan does

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/

I suggest doing layers for everything – even your pencilwork can be done digitally.

Doesn’t seem weird at all!

They are quite dark, I can’t make out the first three at all but the last one is fine but a little unfocused.

How are you uploading them? Camera? Cellphone? Scanner?

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
            Find me on Instagram
            Find me on Facebook

IsobelW

Thanks for the responses and feedback! In this case, I photographed them with a cellphone. I do have a scanner, but it got dirty over the years.
                Tried to use photoshop again, not darkening it quite so much. If I ever got a tablet, I would probably ink /colour it digitally,but colouring with the mouse is very slow.Still saving up for a cheap one.
                In the second one, I was using a dry brush for mist. Guess it didn’t work:lol:.

Jaime9526

Switch your pencil layer to multiply, then duplicate it.
                    Erase things on the topmost layer to get the things you want bright again bright. You can even add highlights and shading this way. Repeat as often as you like to get it the way you want. Finally, use a top normal layer to paint in any true white highlight (like using white ink on transitional inks)
                    That should do it if you aren’t going for colours. :)
                    Should be quite fast too.

IsobelW

Thanks! Will give it a try!

Nice drawings. Sounds like a good project to just have some fun and, as you said, get some drawing practice. Getting good images to post online is always a challenge. People usually suggest taking the painting or drawing outside and laying it flat in the shade to photograph. I sometimes wander around the house trying to find a good place to take the photo since it is often not a good time to do it outside.

C&C always welcome. Michelle

mkmcreations.com
                        Every painting is a new adventure.

IsobelW

Thanks! I’m still trying to find ways of photographing with a phone without casting a shadow over the work.
                            Tried what Jaime suggested. Still a work in progress, not all the panels are very clear (though that could just be my drawing) but I think it’s looking better.

Jaime9526

Thanks! I’m still trying to find ways of photographing with a phone without casting a shadow over the work.
                                Tried what Jaime suggested. Still a work in progress, not all the panels are very clear (though that could just be my drawing) but I think it’s looking better.

Nice. If you are t using a scanner try using masking tape or similar that won’t damage your art, tape it to a window with a decent amount of light coming through. That might even out the light and get rid of any shadow.

IsobelW

Thanks Jaime!

talisman

Finding the perfect place for photographing is always a challenge.
                                        I now have a two places I like, I take photos in both then pick the best.

Dianna WC! Guide: Fantasy/Sci-Fi Art
                                        C and C always welcome.
                                        My DeviantArt Gallery

You can clean your scanner top gently with the lens cleaner that you use for eyeglasses. They come in wipes or spray and are very cheap.

To take a photo with your cellphone clearly, you can lean your picture to avoid a shadow just make you tilt your phone to match the lean. Make sure your camera app is focused. You can also adjust lighting settings on the phone, there are quite a few online videos for pretty much every phone out there.

Those do look better, but they are dark. It’s not your drawing it’s the photos.

I’d love to see them properly. They look interesting.

The Purple Dog Painting Blog
                                        Find me on Instagram
                                        Find me on Facebook

IsobelW

Thanks vmrs! I tried photographing in better light. These are very close to my original drawings, though I sharpened the contrast. I can see now there is still some shadow, should probably have waited until the afternoon. The top panels had heavy pencil shading, so they would be quite dark

Attalus

Okay, that’s much better

Bill was a long time valued member of our community who passed away after a lengthy illness. We will miss him. Rest in peace.

"Modern art is what happens when painters stop looking at girls and persuade themselves that they have a better idea."- John Ciardi

My dA page:http://attalus.deviantart.com/

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.