WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#196   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Veteran Member
west midlands

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Join us in painting and drawing from the same reference! 12-05

I agree whole heartedly with what Jet said,and Tom it's a piece to be proud of!,and like I said earlier,leave as is!!!,and keep up the good work!.
dex
  #197   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2006, 07:27 AM
Italy

Hails from Italy

Thanks a lot, Dex, for your compliments! As for doing a WIP, well, I'll be happy to post one, as soon as I'll start my next work (right now, I'm working on a child 's portrait, but it's almost done, so it's too late to take step by step photos...) probably in 2 weeks, ,I could do it! Thank you again !
Alessandra
  #198   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2006, 12:07 PM
Veteran Member
west midlands

Hails from United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alessandra Rosi
Thanks a lot, Dex, for your compliments! As for doing a WIP, well, I'll be happy to post one, as soon as I'll start my next work (right now, I'm working on a child 's portrait, but it's almost done, so it's too late to take step by step photos...) probably in 2 weeks, ,I could do it! Thank you again !
Alessandra

You're very welcome Alessandra,
and thank you!,look forward to WIP,
regards
dex
  #199   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2006, 12:38 PM
Massachusetts, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks for the feedback, everyone. I'm looking forward to the next one of these.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet
Unfortunately, there is a dominating tendency to disregard artistic interpretations, and impose a high-value just to those pieces that are exact copies or clones of the original picture

Jet, you're quite right about this, and it raises a really interesting issue (to me at least). As I kept working on this, and on another portrait I was doing of my neice (posted in the January 2006 portraits thread), of course the process involved an initial layout and then a lot of refinements, and I did consciously ask myself what I was shooting for overall. A *perfect* reproduction of a photograph would be indistinguishable from the photograph itself, and since the other portrait was a gift for my brother's family, I thought: why not just give them the photograph and be done with it? What is so interesting about a drawing, which is invariably going to be different from the photograph? And if the accuracy of reproduction is the meter it's measured against, then even the greatest drawing is never going to be PERFECT, because it'll always be SLIGHTLY "off".

But clearly, that's not what we shoot for and that's not why we create art. I'm not sure why we do it entirely, but I think it's inescapably related to the fact that we know it was made by a human hand, and so there's an emotional value as well that a photograph can't capture. My ultimate goal / wish is to be able to create art that moves people, not that necessarily impresses them.

However, a secondary goal is certainly to be able to accurately reproduce something if I strive to do so, and since that was part of my goal in this exercise, I feel like I have a long (happy) way to go still. The differences between what I wound up with and the original image are partially the result of my artistry / interpretation, but also largely my lack of ability to reproduce with great technical accuracy what I'm looking at. So my goal remains twofold, I suppose: work hard to try to continue to develop the technical skill to render with my hand what is in my head / eyes, but also to continue to try to learn how to SEE what I'm looking at and bring out the qualities of it that appeal to me the most, and communicate that artistically through the piece.

(Hope that wasn't too off-topic for this thread; apologies if it was!)

Cheers,

TM
  #200   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2006, 02:20 PM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Hi Tom!

I understand what you're saying....

Regards
  #201   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2006, 09:13 PM
Atlanta

Hails from United States

Paki -

Beautiful work on the woman's protrait. The colors are wonderful, the piece is simple, and yet, somehow, very dynamic.

Love it!
  #202   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2006, 08:06 PM
Enthusiast
Central Florida

Hails from United States

Hey, folks!
I know I'm quite late getting in on this- I hope you'll tolerate me.

First, a bit of explanation.
The second reference is one of my absolute favorite themes! (Hey, I'm a guy, OK?) I categorize it with the one so many did a while back, Beth. I call these "Exotic Women", but I digress.

I was about to start in on this when I fell crossing a snowbank, and broke my right hand. So I decided to try my left hand at this piece. It's not finished, but I'd appreciate feedback anyway.
Thanks!
Attached Images

#203   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2006, 10:45 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from Puerto Rico

Jerry - with your left hand? Wow! It's great!
  #204   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-09-2006, 02:27 PM
Enthusiast
Central Florida

Hails from United States

Thanks, Janet.
I pretty much had to try it. My mentor broke his elbow several years ago. He won an award for a piece he painted L/H, so he challenged me to "paint through it"! Coulda been a Marine DI, eh? LOL!