WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 02:43 PM
Caroline County, Virginia

Hails from United States
Still a WIP

Some may recall that I posted an earlier version of this portrait in July. Well, I'm still at it. I've spent a lot of time on the eyes, hand and background, following advice on WC and from some artist friends. This is my first portrait so I've been open to any advice. I still am. This is not a particularly great photo of the painting, but I would appreciate any C/C. In particular, any advice on smoothing out the transition points between colors or values. Thanks.

Robert

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 03:17 PM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States
Re: The Portrait Gallery, August, 2005

Val THANK YOU!!!
Janet, THANK YOU!!!
Terry, THANK YOU! I'm still learning!!!! SOme things take longer to SINK IN than others...ha. Skin and proportions...argh! ha. BEAUTIFUL PAININTING!!! I can't wait to see what all is hiding in that beard!!!! I feel like a kid waiting for Christmas here!!!!!
Robert, Very well done! Nice softness and transitions...Lovely work!
Krysta
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 03:43 PM
A Local Legend
Florida

Hails from Puerto Rico

Terry - I love the way you handle your watercolor.
Robert - the portrait is looking very good. I heard somewhere that the transition between light and shadow is always warm. Experts: correct me if I am wrong.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from United States

Here's two fun portraits that I started a while back. I'm aching to finish them, so I'm going to work them simultaneously over the next few weeks.

The first is 46" x 60", the second is 30" x 48"

#35   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-05-2005, 12:02 AM
Immortalized
Somewhere under the rainbow!PNW

Hails from United States

I remember those Jaysen! Great that you are getting back to them. Keep us posted.

Dianne
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2005, 01:01 AM
A WC! Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

TERRY -- Wow, this is looking so great. I just love his eyes (I think you said they are your husband's eyes -- lucky fella to have eyes like that ). I'm looking so forward to your updates.

ROBERT -- Your Portrait is looking super. I really love it, and I love the colours you are working with also.

JAYSEN -- Both Portraits are looking fantastic. I love the poses of each person, and the second one looks wonderful with the crowd of people all watching this pretty young beauty. Great work so far.

Val.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2005, 03:34 AM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States

Jaysen, these are fabulous! Very elegant! Can't wait to see the progression...
SPEAKING OF WHICH... TERRY... Where is your Santa today???? I can't wait to see the update!!!
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2005, 10:17 AM
Veteran Member
Midwest, USA

Hails from United States

Hello ... To greenpearl, Saeed, AL, Dianne, krystakaye, Terry, Robert, & Jaysen: I'm enjoying your work immensely and find myself greatly impressed! What a talented bunch you are!

I'm attaching one I did of my little neice Miranda. It was a birthday present to her mommy. I can find things wrong with it, but I reached the point that I HAD TO finish it and wrap it up ... BTW I learned to never add colored pencils to the mix - I didn't mean for some areas to come out ruddy gray LOL! Oh well, live and learn

Anyway, I'm happy to report that the recipient of this drawing was pleased & feels that it's a good likeness. It's various graphite on 5" x 7" Strathmore Vellum. Impossible to say how long it took me as I've been busy and had to scatter the time I spent on it over more than a week. I don't feel comfortable posting the reference picture of my neice to the net - hope that's ok. C+C welcome.

Warm Regards,
~Lissa
Attached Images

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2005, 01:42 PM
Veteran Member
USA

Hails from United States

Artsy Lisa, Beautifully done! Lots of personality coming out in this! WELL DONE!
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2005, 10:57 PM
Veteran Member
Midwest, USA

Hails from United States

Krystakaye, thanks so much for your comment. Glad you enjoyed it ~Lissa
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-06-2005, 11:06 PM
A WC! Legend
South Australia

Hails from Australia

Lissa, there is SO MUCH work in this Portrait, and you have done it beautifully. The work you have done with her hair and its adornments is amazing and wonderfully rendered. I also love her hands, which are very hard to get right, but you have done a great job. The only little crit I have is that her ear on our right doesn't seem to be attached to her face, but with all of the rest of the beautiful work, I wouldn't lose any sleep over that. Thankyou so much for posting it for us to enjoy.

Val.
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2005, 09:49 AM
Veteran Member
Midwest, USA

Hails from United States

Val, thanks for your generous encouragements and for your good advice - both are greatly appreciated. Hmm I see what you mean: the shading on the right side of the face should have been greater to correct. In my next portrait I will be sure that is "right" ... Btw, yes the hair was the hardest part... At one point I considered changing it to an easier style to render, but decided against it as her braids and beads are "part of her" ~ Lissa
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2005, 12:56 PM
Enthusiast
Gig Harbor WA

Hails from United States

First I gotta thank everyone , all the nice comments keep my motor running .

Robert ...Fabulous job for a first or last , you don't need any advice but to do more..I think your transitions are great

Jaysen...Get busy ...These are wonderful ..you gotta keep working on them , very powerful

Lissa..Dito on the personality ..I love lots of detail , so glad you did her braided hair ..good work , good control

I finally got back to it yesterday , put in 9 hours . I'm keeping it light on the beard for now till I figure out how rich the bg will be ......TerryC

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2005, 01:24 PM
Veteran Member
Midwest, USA

Hails from United States

TerryC, I am loving this. The colors are great and your work with the facial skin folds is amazing! Bravo ~ Lissa
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2005, 02:33 PM
WC! Guide
Ontario

Hails from Canada

Wow -- you all have been busy on here since I last posted! Lots of inspiring work on here, and we're only just finishing the first week of August!

It took me a while to go through and look at everyone's work. Then, I wrote a long post, commenting on all the new portraits, tried to post it, and somehow lost it. Grrrrrr.... It seems I put in too many of those little face-things. So I'll skip them this time, as I start again from scratch. Grrr....

Monica -- how's it going with your oil portrait of the old man? I really think you have a great start and look forward to seeing your progress.

Saeed -- love how you have done the little girl so far. The face has so much character and isn't overdone at all. I look forward to seeing how you finish it.

Al -- great to see new work from you. Lovely drawing of the native man -- in your favourite Derwent pencils, I suppose. As I didn't stay tuned through the July portrait posts (it was another busy month for me), I guess I missed the other 2 works that this 3rd completes. Is that where I would go to see them? You have me curious about them. Lovely detail and rendering on this one.

Dianne -- I so much enjoy your portraits of Renn Faire folks. This one is lovely -- reminds me of an N.C. Wyeth illustration. Love the colours and painterly qualities. Congratulations on the commission -- I hope we will get to see its progress on here, once you start it. Looks like you will be busy with art inspired by (and more commissions!!) the Renn Faire you will have a booth at. I look forward to seeing whatever you post on here for us to see!

Krysta -- You sure work fast! Thanks for posting the WIP of your Dominican man. Both portraits are lovely. The old man's beard is amazing! Perhaps you will be posting more portraits on here this month -- I look forward to seeing what you work on next!

Terry -- Great handling of the watercolours! So, your husband is the model, but the beard is somewhat longer than his? Looks a lot like Santa! Wonderful expression and twinkling eyes. The pencilwork of the beard-to-come looks great. I look forward to seeing this portrait develop!

Robert -- Pretty good first portrait! Is it in oils or acrylics?
Great background, hair and skin. Not sure if the hand is too big or the wrist too thin. You have taken on a lot in this portrait. Glasses are not easy, and you have so much detail here. Lovely handling. Are you working up the green clothing more? It's sketchier than the rest, but doesn't need much work. Bravo!

Jaysen -- Two large portraits -- wow! Are they in oil? The underpainting looks good, and the poses are very elegant. I look forward to seeing how these two develop -- please post your WIP pics. You have two good starts here. Looking forward to seeing how you handle the crowd background on the second one.

Liisa -- This portrait of Miranda is charming. You had a challenge -- the hairstyle and the hands. You did them well, and the eyes are wonderful, and full of life. It's a fine portrait -- bravo!

As for me, I did do a charcoal portrait study this past Wednesday at my weekly portrait workshop. I will post it up as soon as my husband downloads the photo he took and readies it for me to post. I am not very handy with the technical side of things and depend on him to take care of readying digi photos and scans for me. I'm working on it... but it'll take me a while to learn.

Cheers, Lauren