WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 07:02 AM
midlands

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Paint/draw from the same reference - April 2005

Hi all :wave

No carol its not charcoal, i used a HB & B6 for the darks, its the only ones ive got. Hade to nip in to town this morning so i picked a nice set of Derwent 9B to H up ( ive just got to be brave enough to have a play with them all)

Deepat what more can i say you can feel the warmth of the sun on her face

Thankyou all for having a look
Kirby
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 08:12 AM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Kirby, that's funny, you are buying more pencils while I have gotten down to one.

LC, I have found that the Bic actually says HB, but performs like a 2B. Some brands of pencils are harder even with the same number. You really just have to experiment. I like Bic because they work well and are so cheap!
Carol
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 08:44 AM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

Deborah, I love the sketchy feel of your work. I really don't think you have aged her much; perhaps it's the scan, but the value of the eyes looks light, and the lip value is perhaps too dark? I think you have retained the sweet baby face look here. Would love to see your watercolor version - this thread will stay open as long as people post to it, so there is no real deadline here.

Jet, interesting tutorial and nice work on the line drawing. Your digital version of Gabrielle is so charming! Love it!

Andagail, I can't see your sketch very well, but it's looking good from what I can see. Please post your updates .

Nanc, I think the key to staying loose is to not blend as much. Consider that these words are coming from a consummate blender .

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbeckett
Gabrielle in oil 9x12
Another one-night wonder. Wonder why her shoulders aren't right. Wonder why she looks a couple years older. Wonder what all those bees are doing in her hair.
-Steve
Steve, I loved your description, you had me laughing! I really enjoy your painting style, glad you joined in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat
I do measure the main dimensions...I do it with dividers, instead of CPR...same result. The difference is in being able to translate it quickly. Doing it the other way, I often used to get distracted and have to redo the measurement...dividers stay in position! :
Deirdre, I have some questions for you. Your WIP is fascinating to me. What do you mean by dividers? Also, it doesn't look as though you have used a sketch at all on your WIP photos. Have you covered it all up with paint? Another thing - how can you scan a wet oil painting???

Hi Carol! I remember your work well from the D & S forum. This is lovely, the eyes are especially beautiful and luminous. I'm glad to see you've returned to WC, your work is a pleasure to view.

Kirby, I really like the softness of your drawing also. Can you explain your technique?

kordelia, that is the best compliment!! She does look like a princess. As far as the sparkle in the eye, how about a touch of white gouache?

donald weasley, I'd like to see your try at this! I've seen your painting of your little brother, and you do children so well.

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 09:17 AM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenclaire
[ B]Deirdre[/b], I have some questions for you. Your WIP is fascinating to me. What do you mean by dividers? Also, it doesn't look as though you have used a sketch at all on your WIP photos. Have you covered it all up with paint? Another thing - how can you scan a wet oil painting???

Eileenclaire... Dividers...like a compass....but without the pencil!
I lightly sketched in the main shapes using a yellow watercolour pencil.. then blocked in the base colours....then painted in the features - roughly...then more defined. I went as far as the second wip then realised the eyes were too high, so I blocked then out then started further down! So no pencil sketch for the features...just paint & brush.
BIG TIP COMING UP!! If your painting is wet in the middle, as mine was, but the edges are dry...lay two long handled large paintbrushes on the edge of the scanbed, one either side. then lay your painting over them so the middle does not touch the glass...scan as normal.
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 09:52 AM
midlands

[quote]Kirby, I really like the softness of your drawing also. Can you explain your technique?

Thankyou, i also use a divider, mark out the bits i need then blend the skin tone with a stump, i feel as if i have more control useing a stump with how light or dark i want to go then i just draw on top of it . I start a morning a week at the local collage next week its only for 10 weeks but im looking forward on how to improve.
Kirby
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 12:20 PM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepat
Jet, Thank you...I think....In case you hadn't noticed...all my work is authentic! I really don't know why you feel it isn't! I don't trace...I don't need to, I can draw! Check out Sultry's before & after thread...all my befores were done in art class, under supervison! I do measure the main dimensions...I do it with dividers, instead of CPR...same result. The difference is in being able to translate it quickly. Doing it the other way, I often used to get distracted and have to redo the measurement...dividers stay in position! As for the bra strap...it's just an impression We, girls, don't study them!

Dee, sorry my words might have another meaning..
I know you don't trace and that you draw freehand...

I wrote it like that, for lack of a better word to indicate it was made from scratch, but felt that Original wasn't the term i was looking for...

I never intend double meanings in my words, but probably the confusion came from placing the word between apostrophes ('), as I've seen double-meaning words usually are written between quotation marks [ " " ].

Only positive meaning and good intention were in my words for you ..honest..

Regards

ps- about the bra strap, it is not a flaw per se, it just didn't appeal to me,
that's why I said a 'nitty' for short of tiny nit-picking, as that being more a personal taste really...

Last edited by Jet : 04-07-2005 at 12:29 PM.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 12:50 PM

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet
Dee, sorry my words might have another meaning..
I know you don't trace and that you draw freehand...

I wrote it like that, for lack of a better word to indicate it was made from scratch, but felt that Original wasn't the term i was looking for...

I never intend double meanings in my words, but probably the confusion came from placing the word between apostrophes ('), as I've seen double-meaning words usually are written between quotation marks [ " " ].

Only positive meaning and good intention were in my words for you ..honest..

Regards

ps- about the bra strap, it is not a flaw per se, it just didn't appeal to me,
that's why I said a 'nitty' for short of tiny nit-picking, as that being more a personal taste really...
I'll accept that explanation Jet...Thanks for explaining it!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 02:55 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Deidre, I never heard that tool called a divider--in fact, it's in my set of mechanical drawing tools and I've never used it. I just measure with the end of my pencil.

Kirby, don't be too disappointed if the teacher doesn't really teach much about the methods of drawing you are looking for. From my experience, you can learn much more from observing and asking questions right here. But the experience of working with real live art students and one on ones with a real live teacher will be valuable. I hope you enjoy it.
Carol
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 03:26 PM

Hails from England

Carol, I used to just use my pencil for measuring, but when I returned to drawing I realised I didn't have quite the same attention span.(had a small stroke a few years ago) ..so I devised using my dividers when working from a photo. It works for me! I still use my pencil when working from life but have to check it frequently!
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 04:11 PM
midlands

Carol, i have been reading the posts on wc for a while now, everything i have learned so far has been from posts on wetcanvas, you cant help but be inspierd by the work that you see on here. Im not the wolrds most confident person so im hopeing that collage will bring me out just that bit more .
Kirby
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 05:40 PM
Recently transplanted to Central FL

Hails from United States

This forum is intimidating to a newbie, wannabe artist! The portraits that have been posted here are simply awe-inspiring... better yet, they’re inspiring. I am your quintessential late-bloomer, never having painted or drawn anything EVER until a coupla years ago. Now with 5 kids grown & gone, and time to pick up a hobby, I have attended some watercolor and oils workshops, and recently picked up a little starter set of pastels. I’ve been lurking in the All Media Art Events WDE’s, but without scanner or digital camera could not participate. The spirit of things over there is wonderful – folks put up their successes AND failures and all benefit from the sharing of honest experiences and find much encouragement. In that spirit, I take the plunge and make my very first post (gosh I hope it uploads!).

I realize that my little rendition is recognizable as a girl, but has no relation to the original. Having just read Deepat’s comments about a divider, and good genes – well, the divider I can go get. Deirdre, your work ALWAYS takes my breath away! SilknSatin – your girl is just lovely!

My girl looks older -- how to make her look younger? Comments welcome. Working a small image (4”x6”) with pastels, it was hard to get the details right, and I had this blue paper to work on, struggled with that. How to blend with pastels – oh so much to learn!

Thanks for looking.
Attached Images

Render service • Find no fault
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 06:01 PM

Hails from England

Spritelight...Hi & Welcome! I think you'll find there are quite a few of us...of a certain age, having had children, & grandchildren in a lot of cases...retired maybe...but have returned recently to enjoy art at their leisure! I'm certainly one of them! I returned to art when I joined Wet Canvas...so it's not that long ago....the secret of my progress to date is that I draw or paint or both....every day! The more you practice the better you will get. I don't think I'm necessarily getting artistically better, but I'm probably getting a better tecnique!
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 06:26 PM
Recently transplanted to Central FL

Hails from United States

Thank you Deirdre -- talent is spectacular. Always makes me draw breath. I've told my family I'm gathering my talents for the next life... : )

Render service • Find no fault
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 06:42 PM
A Local Legend
Willow Grove, Matthews, NC

Hails from United States

Dierdre and Jet... glad this didnt come to blows!!! (i read the same thing, D)... anyway, the bra strap thing cracked me up totally:::: it is the only reason i would not do that picture... i have an OBSESSION with the stupid strap showing in photos!!! glad it was mentioned, so i'm not the only one thinks it's tacky!! (when daughter was teenager, we actually paid to have professional photo taken.. her stupid strap shows..... grrrrrrrrrrrr.... ) well, now that things have simmered down, the two of you can backtrack and see my Princess shot and comment nicely, please.... have had one suggestion re eyes... more?? (in RL, less purple in hair, more blue in eyes)... thankew.... Kory (when i diddled around more on my Tahitian girl for WDE, i lost her face and darling smile COMPLETELY... so am a little reluctant to mess with it too much........)
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-07-2005, 07:18 PM

Hails from England

Cori...I agree with the suggestion to use white gouche if the eye highlight has gone...although I also think if you used a damp white conté crayon you would get it too!