WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#166   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2005, 10:52 PM
Enthusiast
Missouri

Hails from United States
Re: Paint/draw from the same reference - April 2005

Hi Jive,

I think you have a really great likeness here of the subject. It seems you have turned her ever so slightly toward the viewer which is fine. I say that because you have a bit more of her right cheek showing and the nose seems more turned toward us. You have a nice loose style which I like very much. I might suggest warming the skin up with some ochre as it looks a tad pink overall. I don't know if you use any glaze in your work (doesn't look like it) but that would be a fairly easy way to wash in some yellow tones. You all have worked from a nice clear photo but for me there isn't enough contrast which is coming through in the painting as well. That's just the way it is on this one. I do see a slightly darker shadow under her right arm which might help define it more. Really, I am only mentioning these little details because you asked me to comment. It is an excellent painting of course and I am nit-picking.

Lisa

Lisa Ober, Portrait Artist
  #167   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-28-2005, 11:55 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplepainter
Hi Jive,

I think you have a really great likeness here of the subject. It seems you have turned her ever so slightly toward the viewer which is fine.

Yes, I turned her head some. If you'll scroll up the page a bit, you'll see that it was not originally that way.

Quote:
I might suggest warming the skin up with some ochre as it looks a tad pink overall.

It's totally pink! Scarlet and white, specifically. The only yellow comes from using scarlet rather than deep red, and some umber in the shadow. I decided to do it that way and use a, uh, what's the word for "dark teal"? -- background. Whether or not it "worked" is another question. She had pink skin in the reference photo (on my printer at least). I thought if I changed the background to the compliment of scarlet it ought to look good. Maybe not.

Quote:
I don't know if you use any glaze in your work (doesn't look like it) but that would be a fairly easy way to wash in some yellow tones.

I glazed the Man with Red Pencil's face. I also glazed the background in the picture under discussion. It's cobalt teal and scarlet with a black (!) glaze.

Quote:
You all have worked from a nice clear photo but for me there isn't enough contrast which is coming through in the painting as well.

"More light, more light, more light"? I did add contrast (more dark) compared to the reference painting, but perhaps it could use more. The dark background probably emphasizes the lack of contrast in the face.

Quote:
It is an excellent painting of course and I am nit-picking.

Lisa

Please don't apologize! Nits or lice, they need picking. Thank you for your help.

Last edited by jdadson : 04-29-2005 at 12:19 AM.
  #168   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2005, 12:23 AM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdadson
Just about finished, but suggestions are still welcome.

opus 12, portrait 4

Oops. Forgot to mention. The painting is 14X11.
  #169   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2005, 08:12 PM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Studio224
By the way, Eileen, when are you posting the next paint from the same reference? :-)))

These are monthly, so the next thread will be put up tomorrow. I hope you will join in on that one - there will be two great references to choose from.

Jive, I really like your finish on this. You have captured this little girl beautifully. It's a wonderful painting.

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh
  #170   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2005, 06:10 AM

Hi folks. Thought apologize for some of my goofs
Firstly, I said that I had no particular personal style so I'd try photo-realistic. I didn't mean that photo-realistic wasn't a style, but, I meant like the philosophy behind it seems obvious, that is, to be as realistic as the reference itself. The technic, however, is still beyond my ability and many others.
Secondly, I manipulated deirdre's painting when I wasn't still enough familiar with the etiquette of this forum. I noticed later that people ask for permission before doing so. I did something awful and I'm sorry Deirdre
Thirdly, I guided people without having enough art savvy hence caused controversy. Forget about all I said so far!
If there is still something that I didn't mention please consider that I'm a newbie and very likely to make mistakes unintentionaly
Saeed
  #171   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2005, 10:22 AM
El Paso, Tx

Hails from United States

I'm just now finding all the neat stuff in WC (sorta kinda new here) and I came across this exercise. Is it too late to join in because I would really like to try this.
  #172   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2005, 10:38 AM
Immortalized

Joe, it's not too late! Take your time, and post your work whenever you finish. Welcome to WetCanvas! Also, be sure to check out May's paint/draw from the same reference thread. We have two good references to choose from there as well.

Saeed, I admire you for all that you have written. As far as guiding people without having any art savvy, I beg to differ. You do have art savvy, and this is very clear from your words and work. Members understand that when they ask for critique, that the critique is only the poster's opinion, and they in turn have to evaluate it and decide whether or not they will act on it. Hearing other artists' opinions is very valuable, in that it gives you a fresh way of looking at your work.

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh
  #173   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2005, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast

Here is the final version, minus perhaps one or two small touch-ups. Thanks to Lisa Ober for her helpful suggestions.

Gabrielle / Oil on linen 14x11
Attached Images

Last edited by jdadson : 05-02-2005 at 02:32 PM.
  #174   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2005, 03:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
Portugal

Hails from Portugal

Wow!! Jive she is beautiful!!!!
-m-m--------

Studio224
  #175   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 10:35 PM
El Paso, Tx

Hails from United States

This is my first attempt at sketching this lil girl, Jive? Is that her name? Anyway, this took around 45 minutes and it looks nothing like her LOL. This will be the first of many attempts, shes just too adorable to only do one sketch. I have to tell you all, though, I normally use grid lines when I draw something. And to do this using the pencil method and eyeballing it was frightening, exciting and liberating all at once. So I will probably sketch this little beauty until I get it right, then I'll try to add some tone to her features.

*click on thumbnail below*

[IMG][/IMG]
  #176   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-03-2005, 11:45 PM
Enthusiast
Pennsylvania

Hails from United States

Everytime I come to look at these, I am amazed at how different they are, yet how wonderful each one is. Jive, your painting is absolutely beautiful. Red, I love the background you put in yours. It's a very nice portrait.
Carol
  #177   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-04-2005, 08:18 AM
Immortalized

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jogle
: And to do this using the pencil method and eyeballing it was frightening, exciting and liberating all at once.

Yes, I know just what you mean! You did a nice job with this, Joe, and I look forward to more of your sketches of Gabrielle!

~Vincent Van Gogh