WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2005, 09:00 PM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

Re: Paint/draw from the same reference - March 2005

Steve, great skin tones on this. I think you've captured him well.

Feelingguilty, I'm glad you were able to upload this! I like the loose look of your portrait. The conte works great for the light areas. Thanks for sharing this, and I hope you will join us again.

Foxyfeline, this is a great start! There are all levels of artists participating in this, and we all learn something from each other. But it is not a competition, and your progress will be exciting to watch. I can't wait to see your updates!

greenhoop, so glad to see you stopping in. Wonderful work on this. You have a definite style that is apparent in your work.

Michelle, wow, please describe your technique. This is terrific!

ThinMan, you have really gotten a handle on the colored pencils in a short amount of time. This is a very impressive beginning with them.

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2005, 09:46 AM
Fredericton, NB, Canada

Hails from Canada

Well, after my 'so-so' effort at the lady in the red scarf, I turned my hand to the black youth... more satisfied with the results this time... the eye-hand thing is working better again... proportions aren't 'quite there' though... face is a little too long, facial hair not prominent enough... etc etc...

Sharon
Attached Images

Last edited by Sharon_L_Hicks : 03-11-2005 at 09:53 AM.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-11-2005, 04:11 PM
Resting in Peace
GA, USA

Hails from United States

These are both exceptionally good photos, the basis for some very exciting portraits. I truly enjoy seeing everyone's versions of these portraits. I think I am learning something, certainly can compare them to mine and maybe see what I need to improve, occasionally can see something I actually did better! This is the graphite version, hope to start over and do it in watercolor next.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2005, 12:08 PM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

I see many awesome results here....I love the freehand versions...

I did a freehand version myself, just looking at the photo on the monitor...
I tried no measuring, no grids or any other 'aide tool', done just by look and 'feel', although not much likeness this is an 'all-mine' effort, hope I get better some day...

Regards

C&C OK!

Last edited by Jet : 03-12-2005 at 12:12 PM.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2005, 02:57 PM
A Local Legend
bournemouth dorset

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi everyone lots of good sketches and paintings posted since i was last here,haven't been that well for the last week,but managed some progress on my watercolour of mouscous.

#66   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2005, 06:55 PM
Alabama

Hails from United States

I have been lurking and admiring the great work of sooo many artists. I'm almost (but not quite) embarassed to add my work to the list. But I'm gonna do it anyway. Of course I'm interested in c and c...this is still WIP and I can tell you the nose has gone and come at least three times (and may go again).
The ground is watercolor paper surfaced with toned pastel primer (two coats); pastels are nupastel for the most part with a few strokes of Rembrandt or Bloxx.
Regards,
Mary Johnson
[email protected]
Attached Images

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-12-2005, 10:30 PM
New England, USA

Hails from United States

Hi Everyone,
I'm new here, just joined today. I've been away from painting for a long time now, and I really missed it. I thought I'd give this one a try and it was really fun, I forgot how much I loved to paint....I'm very rusty but I'm going to keep trying. There are so many talented artists here it is very inspiring!
This (if I can get it to upload) is acrylic on watercolor paper
April
Attached Images

#68   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2005, 11:36 AM
Veteran Member
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hails from Canada

Eileen,

I don't really have much of a technique, really. I started out with a blunt HB pencil and sketched the outlines and features and shaded lightly. To add depth, just kept on adding more and more layers and eventually moved on to 2B, 4B and 6B. I used sharpened pencils for the detail work.

I know a lot of people say you should work with sharp pencils, but I love using blunt pencils. It's so much easier to erase and you don't scratch the paper when you shade.

Michelle
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2005, 07:12 PM
Immortalized

That's interesting, Michelle, thanks for explaining your process. Your work has a unique look, and I was curious how you went about it.

Sharon, it's good to see you try this one. I think you did great defining the facial planes.

Connie, I like those highlights on the top of the head - it gives some real dimension to your portrait. I'll look forward to your watercolor version!

Jet! I'd love to comment on this, but don't have my magnifying glass handy, . It looks great from what I can see. Please do share a larger image - you put some work into this, and we'd love to see your work!

Guilli, hope you're feeling better. Your portrait is coming along nicely!

Hi, Mary! Nice modeling of the scarf, and I like your color palette as well. I think you've caught her expression well. I'll look forward to your finish.

April, welcome to the portraiture forum !! You've introduced yourself with a delightful painting! I hope you will continue to share your work here. Looking forward to seeing more from you!

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2005, 07:49 PM
Resting in Peace
GA, USA

Hails from United States

I really studied the pencil drawing I posted a few days ago and think that the worst fault was that the face was too short. I guess I overreacted when I sketched this out for the painting. Now his face is too long. Things never look the same when lightly drawn as when they have color added. And watercolor is fairly unforgiving, so that will be the way it stays. I know, for instance, that the irises are too large, but can't erase the dark paint. But for a first real painting of a portrait, I am satisfied.
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2005, 12:56 AM
A Local Legend
81200 - Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenclaire
Jet! I'd love to comment on this, but don't have my magnifying glass handy, . It looks great from what I can see. Please do share a larger image - you put some work into this, and we'd love to see your work!

Eileen, Sorry for the confusion!!..
.I guess it was my fault, for not placing a legend earlier...

Please, Click on the picture to see a larger image--->...

Thanks for reviewing... Comments, Suggestions and accurate Nit-Picking are always Very Welcome !!

Kind Regards
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2005, 01:57 PM
A Local Legend
Elk Grove, CA

Hails from United States

I did this one for a WDE a while back but thought I'd post it here because it was a turning point for me in overcoming my fear of portraits. It is done in pastel and was done in under the two hour time limit...to my great surprise!

Mikki

"To Begin, Begin." - Wadsworth
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2005, 02:25 PM
Veteran Member
Canadian gal soaking up the Israeli sun for a year or two

Hails from Canada

Here is my version of the lovely lady in the shawl. This is watercolor and I used a layering method talked about in the August 2004 WaterColor Magic magazine. The artist is Charles Novich. Various washes of yellow ochre, burnt sienna, ultram blue,alizerin and cad red light were used. I liked the result and will try it again. There are some glaring errors which I cant do much about this time around but look forward to using this method with my next portrait. CC's welcome!
Deborah
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2005, 04:57 PM
Immortalized

Connie, great job on your first portrait painting! The unforgiving nature of watercolor has led me far away from it, since I am in need of a forgiving medium ! But you seem to have an affinity for it.

Jet, LOL, you are so clever with the computer! However did you manage to make that a click on???? I like your freehand sketch very much. The only small suggestion I have would be to use tones rather than lines on the eyes and ears, which you have done quite successfully with the rest of your portrait.

Mikki, this sounds like it was a breakthrough portrait for you! Thanks for sharing it here.

Deborah, great to see you joining in, and lovely job on that scarf! Can't wait to see more of your work.

~Vincent Van Gogh
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2005, 05:14 PM
carlisle, PA

Hails from United States

great work everybody! here's mine.
Attached Images