WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2005, 01:28 PM
A Local Legend
bournemouth dorset

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Paint/draw from the same reference - March 2005

I thought i would try the other one this month,so here is my pastel version of the lady in the shawl

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2005, 04:00 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

I liked both these references when I first saw them! I especially love the colours in moscous' with his blue shirt and the deep darks in the skintones. I've meant to try one of his.
My gawd Joel! I can never fill in eyes. I need them roughed in pretty well first. If I have to go back and redo the main body of my eyes after the surround is well established, in portraits, I am often dead! Interesting to see your stage!
Deepat, I like your second Woman in Shawl. I think all it needs is some value deepening in the face and it'd be perfect! (Ah, just realized not to put critique like comments!) I'll leave it becasue it essence, it is sayign I like it but with a thought attached! lol
Dea, I also really like your Woman in Shawl, great light balance.
Rod NYC, I love yours as well!!! I love how you did the lighting and the shadow as well as your brush work. I really think this is a good one! Sort of has a Classic feel but is like an excellent study, nicely unfinished.
Everyone seems to be handling these well. Cool! It is fun to see them.
Jocelyn

Last edited by jocelynsart : 03-05-2005 at 04:04 PM.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2005, 06:42 PM
Immortalized
New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
jocelynsart _"My gawd Joel! I can never fill in eyes. I need them roughed in pretty well first. If I have to go back and redo the main body of my eyes after the surround is well established, in portraits, I am often dead!"

LOL!... Joss, that's my lack of formal training. Sometimes I start with the eyes, other times I start with the facial construction, minus the features. I haven't really learned the "right" way to approach my portraits. Everything I do is really just instinctual... I think it helps me in some ways, and henders me in others.

Everybody's work is so great... when I get a chance, I'll be back to comment more specifically, but they're all so well done!

Okay, here's my final... I'm calling it done...

Digital, Painter 9

Last edited by JCoop : 03-05-2005 at 07:25 PM.
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2005, 07:20 PM
A Local Legend
Willow Grove, Matthews, NC

Hails from United States

aw, coop, that's gorjus!!! you really nailed the eyes, and i LUV the scarf....
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2005, 08:53 PM
Lord of the Arts
Omaha, NE

Hails from United States

HI Everyone,

I noticed you started doing a portraiture paint along last month and I'd like to start participating. I'm cheating this month because I, too, painted this during the WDE. It is Li Newton, a wetcanvas guide. I sent it to her afterwards and she gave me a beautiful handpainted scarf. I would like to try the second picture and will post before the month is over.

watercolor 9 x 12

Kathy

Awww, Honey, I've always liked your art. Your paintings look like the things they look like. ~ Homer Simpson
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2005, 04:19 PM
carlisle, PA

Hails from United States

JOEL, lack of formal training? really? maybe there's hope for me after all.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2005, 04:38 PM
Massachusetts

Hails from United States

Thought I would join the fun. Heres two quick ones.
Attached Images

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2005, 07:35 PM
Immortalized
New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_ironoxide
JOEL, lack of formal training? really? maybe there's hope for me after all.

SRB, I've seen your Baby Mason portrait and your "Nick"... your art is beautiful... for sure! I try to make up for my lack of formal training by spending lots of time studying others... like yourself! I try to take something away from every portrait that I see.

Thank you for your nice comment.

#39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-06-2005, 07:38 PM
Immortalized
near Frankfurt in Germany

Hails from Germany

I thought I'd give it a try.
Sketchbook, 65lbs, letter, 6B - 10H, no blending. Sorry but the paper didn't want to take any more darks without becoming spotty. C&C highly welcome

Cheers , Reinhard
How do you know you can't if you didn't try? And even if you failed the first time, try, try, try ..... one day you will succeed and be proud.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 09:28 AM
Veteran Member
Clarksburg, West Virginia, USA

Hails from United States

Silk, I'm not really sure if the eyes are too big, (it's hard looking back and forth to the ref. photo) I think it's just because there is little or no shading on the eyes (unless it's just my monitor). It makes them kind of pop out, too white. Overall, it's a nice job.
Deepat, As always, a wonderful job. Colorful and soft. What a difference from the first one. I'll bet that makes you feel great making such strides.
JCoop, You're just amazing! I can't think of enough adjectives to describe how I feel about your art.
So many others that are so nice!!
I sure hope I get time to join in on the fun
Belinda
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Clarksburg, West Virginia, USA

Hails from United States

HEY!! I'm a SENIOR member now! Or did they just find out my age?????? Someone saw the wrinkle discussion in CP didn't they!
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 08:18 PM
carlisle, PA

Hails from United States

Joel, your response makes me feel all warm inside! hehe! it gives me a lot of hope...for real!...hope that my art will get me somewhere someday (somewhere outside of my kitchen) lol. I'm working on the good looking guy with the nice head right now...i might get it posted sometime.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 08:26 PM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

Sharon, I'm glad you were able to upload the image. Great job for just coming back to portrait work! I hope you will continue to share your work here.

kordelia, I love the effect you achieved with the scarf. I have watercolor pencils, but was never able to get them to work for me - clearly you know the secret.

Guilli, you are very prolific! And you seem quite at ease switching between mediums (er, that should really be media, shouldn't it ).

Jocelyn, I agree - moscous has some good photos in the RIL. I hope you will give one a try.

Joel, gorgeous work! I can always learn something from studying your art.

Kathy, glad you posted yours here. It's good to see different versions, even if you did do yours earlier. I always admire those who can do a portrait in such a short time.

Wow, IRartist, nice work for being quick!

Reinhard, it's great to see you posting here! I like your drawing of moscous. I think a darker shadow on his right cheek and jaw area would round out this version nicely. You were able to give a good sense of the highlights on the top of the head, more so considering there is no background to play against.

Congrats, Belinda, on your senior membership! LOL, I think that entitles you to a discount.

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-07-2005, 09:35 PM
A Local Legend
Willow Grove, Matthews, NC

Hails from United States

Eileen, thank you.... i thought i'd fallen thru the cracks!!! just got a new set of w/c pencils today... i really love them.... AuntBE.... it just means you broke 100 posts..... no reflection....
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2005, 06:42 AM
Immortalized
near Frankfurt in Germany

Hails from Germany

Eileen, thanks for having taken the time to take a look at my drawing and commenting. You are absolutely right, his right side needs more shadows. Unfortunately the paper I was working on did not want to take any more black, it became already spotty and patchy, so therefore I stopped. I have tried to darken the shadows after spraying and have come closer to what would have been required from the beginning. I keep trying.

Cheers , Reinhard
How do you know you can't if you didn't try? And even if you failed the first time, try, try, try ..... one day you will succeed and be proud.