WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 09:12 AM
Immortalized
New York

Hails from United States
Re: Paint/draw from the same reference!

Nancy, sweet digital pencil portrait. I don't see many pencil drawings in digital. I really like yours!... looks great. Subliminal message** peeeeeeeen aaaaaaand taaaaaaablet. **

Florain, your doing really great! Nice work!

Nolita, it's not just you... we all have those senior moments. Looking forward to your entry!

#62   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 09:30 AM
Veteran Member
Paris, TX

Hails from United States

[quote=JCoop]. Subliminal message** peeeeeeeen aaaaaaand taaaaaaablet. **

Yes Joel, I hear you ...LOL...you know I have one...just feels so cumbersome and I get easily frustrated with it...keep going back to the mouse...am still stuggling with skin tones and trying to improve my freehand skills so therefore pencil was the only choice for this one digitally speaking that is...thanks for the compliment ..glad you liked it..
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 10:59 AM
Veteran Member
South of Dayton, Oh

Hails from United States

Two Nancy's here confusing as to which you refer. So from now on I am Nanc
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:26 AM
Immortalized
Somewhere under the rainbow!PNW

Hails from United States

Hi all. I'm joining you. Late as usual. I'll post as soon as I have something worth posting. This is going to be fun!

Dianne
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:54 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

It is with a great leap of faith that I post this. I am using this exercise to help me learn to use flesh tones. I didn't have all of the paints that were in some of my portrait books, so I made up a combination of white, yellow ochre, cad red light and mars violet. The mars violet was a mistake. I actually thought it was burnt umber. Don't ask.

I know that there are a lot of things wrong. Now that I see it on my computer, it looks like he has a dent in the side of his head. His nose is crooked. His neck is too big. I had to re-draw his ear as it looked way to far out. The hair is not finished yet and I don't know what I could do with the background and chair.

Any and all comments will be greatly appreciated. Is there hope?

Sandra
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:55 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

Here it is!
Attached Images

#67   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 11:58 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

I have to add that this is the first portrait I have done on canvas. I didn't prepare the canvas and it was very difficult to wipe out mistakes. Sandra
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 12:02 PM
Veteran Member
South of Dayton, Oh

Hails from United States

And this is my attempt at pastel portrait. Obvously I need lots of work to get it right. Please critique
Attached Images

#69   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 12:31 PM
Immortalized
Somewhere under the rainbow!PNW

Hails from United States

Ok, here is mine. Oils. Very small -done this morning. I haven't even gotten out of my pajamas yet good grief! Its 9:32 am already. I've got to shut this computer off.

Dianne
Attached Images

Last edited by DLGardner : 01-05-2005 at 12:37 PM.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 01:45 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
A Floridian in Tennessee

Hails from United States

Nancy, nice pics of your progress, the color really tops it off.

Nancy Ellen, I can't believe you drew yours with a mouse! Considering that, I think its quite good, I would just watch the direction of the eyes.

Asis, nice soft touch to yours.

Dianne, I like the warm contrast in your colors.

Stoy
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 02:33 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

This was a bit rushed...2.30min...and I haven't really done the hair justice...but I should get back to it eventually!
Pastel on 9x12 Wallis
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 02:49 PM

Hails from United States

HI Everyone...

So enjoyed viewing the different techniques & how they effected the same photo..

Mine is digital, used a few techniques in Photoshop and then took Nick into Painter 6. Then back to Photoshop to finish blending and framed it.

To view a larger full version..

http://www.pbase.com/goldcoin/image/38312374/original

This was an interesting article, showing a traditional oil painter & a digital painter, as they both painted the same same subject...

http://www.digitalartguild.com/modul...article&sid=24
Attached Images

#73   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 04:01 PM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Striver
eileenclaire
Hi
What an exciting thread, certainly fast and furious and such talent.
Will the portrait classrooms include Acrylics and for wishful thinking, perhaps an article on skin glazing techniques?
Happy New Year all
Les

Les, the portrait classroom isn't media specific; I think you will be able to apply the demos to different media. Skin tones will be covered - we don't have skin glazing techniques as a topic, but if you can think of an artist on WC who excels at that, just pm me with their name, and I could always ask them to do a demo. That's how I was able to get some of the other presenters on board. Not one of these generous artists turned me down - I think that says a lot about the incredibly giving people we have here at WC!

Sandra, there's always hope, especially when working in oils ! One thing I love about this medium is the ability to go in there and change things over. I think this is an excellent start. I've seen you work your magic, so I will sit back and watch you do it again.

Wow, Nanc, this is terrific! My head is spinning with how quickly you work. I'm afraid I can't agree that you need lots of work to get it right. I'd say it is just right as is. There is a certain presence to your work - you have a sensitive touch. I'm so glad you joined in here!

Dianne, I've always liked your style of painting. It is loosely done, yet captures the essence of this little lad.

Deirdre, I like your interpretation of this. Your shadow colors look good!

Gold Coin, thanks for joining in, and for sharing that interesting article.

Florian, it's great to see how you start out, it will be very instructive to me to see how you proceed.

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 04:25 PM
Immortalized
New York

Hails from United States

I'm just overwhelmed by the wealth of talent and technique pouring into this thread!

Sandra, that a beaut!!! Try hinting blue, green or purple into the shadows for a little flavoring. Nice "as is" though.

Nancy, beautiful, powerful and confident! Maybe take some of that blue in the eyes and hint it around the background and in the hair. Lovely!

Dianne, outstanding!!! You may want to double-check the direction of the eyes, but wow!... your piece is so nice!

Deirdre, love the smooth transition in the skin tones. The purple in the shadows and hair is a nice touch. Really great portrait!... looking forward to seeing you finish.

Goldcoin, your portrait is beautiful too! So soft and radiant! Nice work!

Last edited by JCoop : 01-05-2005 at 04:38 PM.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-05-2005, 08:03 PM
Veteran Member
Paris, TX

Hails from United States

[quote=Stoy Jones]
Nancy Ellen, I can't believe you drew yours with a mouse! Considering that, I think its quite good, I would just watch the direction of the eyes.

Stoy, thanks...yes I see what you mean...Am trying to correct it now...and yes using a mouse has it disadvantages but it also presents a challenge and a good lesson in discipline, for me that is...