WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 11:50 PM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago Suburbs

Hails from United States
Re: Paint/draw from the same reference!

Lisa, beautifully done. Youíve even got that angled shadow by his eyebrow and made it look natural.

Kareen, very nice, lots of lovely light.

Sandra, Iím looking forward to seeing more on this.

Eileen, what are you going to be working in? Oil Sticks?

Terry, even if you donít like it, I have yet to see anything of yours that isnít beautiful. And this is no exception. I especially love the way you did the hair!

Duncan, thatís cool! Is it a paint from scratch or a photo manipulation?

#32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 03:50 AM
Enthusiast
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

OK....here's my attempt....Royac colour pencils.
Attached Images

All criticism, especially what's wrong, welcome! I need to learn!!!!
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 05:42 AM
Enthusiast
Missouri

Hails from United States

Hi all! Great thread! I know I am going to forget some things and have to post again but first let me answer Mario.
Mario, first, thank you for the kind words. I have a traditional background in oils and pastels but for this one I used Corel Painter 9 (a software program) and a Wacom tablet (fake pen and tablet). I have been wokring with digital a lot more this past year. I work exactly the same way in pastels, oils and digital. This one was from a blank "canvas" and I used an "oil brush" which I have custom made. I have the source file in a window just to the left of my actual "canvas." I found as I painted this, it was more like pastel for me than oil paint but I think I have found a brush I like. Most of my commissions are still in pastel and oil but I really enjoy the digital medium for a few reasons. It has really helped me look closer at my traditional paintings when I do them, I can erase (LOL), and no drying time! Overall, they are less time consuming. Many digital painters combine photos, apply filters, and so on. I do not fault them at all...I really believe it is still art. BUT, for me, a traditional painting style fits me best and my goal with digital is to offer my clients a simliar look to traditonal with the advantages of digital (I'll save you the explanation for now). I still do traditonal portraits. I have just added digital. I really hope to see it become an ever increasingly accepted form of artwork and portraiture. Hope that answered your questions. I think I may do a digital WIP soon so people can see how digital CAN be just like traditional...and to give those who don't do digital paintings a better idea of how it works. Might even drag Joel into that thought...
Colormyworld, thank you very much. That little eyebrow expression bothered me at first. I tried to tone it down a tad. At first I left it out but realized it changed the personality of the painting so I put it back in.
Terence, thanks! I hope my answer to Mario helped you. Yours has the most awesome color work I have seen in a long time. I love your shadow colors. For that matter I love the warm tones too! You have quite a touch!
Artbabe, you're too sweet. Thank you very much.
Eileen, yep a quick one. This one came in at just under 2 hours. I made a point of trying to fly through it. I was hoping is would look "looser" but I think I am dooomed to the right look...except maybe the shirt. I KNOW yours will be spectacular as usual and I can't wait to see it. Will you be posting a WIP? I hope so.
Drounding, I very much like what you have done. I would like to see you completely eliminate the orginal photo from the painting because I think it could stand alone as a painting a tad more that way. Just my two cents.
Asis, that is going to be a wonderful painting. I have never done underpaintings so it fascinates me to see the progress of this method. Ingenious method I might say.
Weckster. very nice. I have never heard of that brand of colored pencil but then again, I was never good at colored pencil. I admire people like you who have the patience for it!
Yako, I haven't been to the digital forum recently but dare I say you have really made a leap in your work! Very nice portrait work, my friend.
Imagernator, your sketch is right on! Can't wait to see more.

Oh I hope I haven't forgotten anyone. It sure wasn't intentional as I keep revisiting this thread. These are all so much fun to see and everyone is doing such a great job. Isn't it amazing how differently we all work yet we end up with nice portraits and likenesses notheless?

Thanks all! Looking forward to more.

Lisa

Lisa Ober, Portrait Artist
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 07:42 AM
Lord of the Arts
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Thanks very much Lisa. I am still confused so I guess that I will have to wait for a W.I.P. and I am looking forward to that, a lot.
It appears that you are talking about painting on 'canvas' with 'oils' and painting with digital software, too.. I am not sure if all the quotation marks means that the words don't really mean what they used to mean or what..and there seems to be a controversy between 'traditional' and other digital portraits.. wow, this is all leaving me in the dust..
I am just, now, becoming aware of digital and already there is a traditional and non-traditional approach? Is some of what you are refering to, in your own work, actually what we know as canvas and oil paint without quotation marks, or have you left all that behind, already?
"I would paint something and be satisfied with it for a period of time and then, foolishly, I would go into it again and destroy it. That became so painful that I stopped painting for about five years. Iíd get to a place, maybe an ecstatic moment, or maybe not that good, but somehow it was concluded... Why go and mess with it? But the idea would come to go back into it, assuming that the more times Iíd go back into it, the better itíd get. Well, itís just the reverse!! It doesnít work that way. Itís a gift. Itís kind of given to you" -Nathan Oliveira

Last edited by Mario : 01-03-2005 at 07:46 AM.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 12:07 PM
A WC! Legend
Wigan Lancashire England

Hails from England

Ooh thanks for pointing this out - I just recently started portraits so this will be good practice - not sure when I will get round to it mind but maybe next week or so.

Pat
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 02:18 PM
Enthusiast
Sydney, Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoplepainter
Weckster. very nice. I have never heard of that brand of colored pencil but then again, I was never good at colored pencil. I admire people like you who have the patience for it!

Thanks! It was my first try in a while, and I only bought the coloured pencils yesterday - Roymac - I left out the "m" above!

They seem fine to use. I usually paint in water colour.

BTW - your oil version is spectacular.

All criticism, especially what's wrong, welcome! I need to learn!!!!
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 02:35 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
A Floridian in Tennessee

Hails from United States

I'm glad to see this thread and I yet to respond to the different versions on here. Mine is done on 14x17 sketchpad in graphite. My first attempt was a disaster by not getting the shape of the head correct...not doing so made the feature placement incorrect...so here is my second attempt. Any critiques are most welcome!

Stoy
Attached Images

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 07:00 PM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by artbabe21
OK, Eileen.....who is doing feet & hair demos???? LOL! I really look forward to the line up of talented artists who will be doing demos for this Portrait Classroom!! We need to spread the news about it so MANY will be able to benefit from it!

Cathleen, I regret to say we do not have any demos scheduled for feet! LOL! But if anyone wants to volunteer for that....

Terry, though you may be unhappy with this, I am studying it closely for your wonderful use of color. I just love the skin colors and hair colors on this.

Florian, I'm happy to see you joining us here! I'll be eager to see your interpretation of this.

Duncan, a very nice rendition, I can see why you are pleased with it!

Ann, I will be using the oil sticks for this. I've put away my oil pastels for now and possibly for good, I love this new medium so much!

Erica, you have captured this little fellow nicely in your sketch. Thanks for sharing your work here!

Pat, glad you will be joining us! This thread will be open for a few weeks, so I'll look forward to seeing your work.

Stoy, this is a beautiful portrait. The modeling of the features is wonderful. Your handling of the edges here is just lovely. I like the treatment of the hair, and the fading out of the shoulders. Very artistically done!

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 07:01 PM
Enthusiast
Missouri

Hails from United States

Stoy, that's fabulous! I love the way the details are in the face but as you go out from the features it looks looser and less finished. I think that is a great look!

Wow.

Lisa

Lisa Ober, Portrait Artist
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 08:51 PM
In the land of dreams

Hails from Brazil

Hello Everybody,

I have been painting for some months now. But I never tried painting portrait before. ONly, with graphite I just tried actually to portrait my daughter yesterday. Of course there is a lot to learn. My son asked me about the portrait and I said I think it may be easier if it is done with colours, instead of just black graphite. I hope I dont dissapoint him!!

I will do my best and I am sure with the good examples ahead I wil be able to get there.

Thanks Eilen to open this thread. It is very good opportunity to learn for me. And my thanks also to all that can help me.

I will check more about late this week. By the weekend I may have something to show you guys.

Kiss to all and bye bye.

Rose Bard
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 09:29 PM
A Floridian in Tennessee

Hails from United States

Thanks Lisa and Eileen! I tried to go for something a little more than just a drawing by loosening things up. There is more I would like to do for it, eyes look a bit dark for the rest of the piece(?) I think I'll push all the values further and keep those edges the same. What I would like to do is paint from this reference sometime as the color and lighting is quite good...but still learning to do that.

Erica, it has been a while, good to see something from you!...nice work!

Duncan, excellent digital rendering!

Lisa, wow!..nice work as well! Looks like oils!

Yako, I like your choice of color and the softness!

Terry, also nice colors, good warm colors in there!

Looking forward to more...

Stoy
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2005, 10:38 PM
Immortalized
New York

Hails from United States

Eileen, thanks for hosting this excellent project!!!

Everybody's work is very cool!!! Here's my effort...

I've actually painted this one before, so I had a decent starting point to try and improve on the past...

Basically, my method is much like traditional. I lay down broad areas of color and shapes. I then refine them to the point where I feel the detail is sufficient. The whole time I'm paying lots of attention to color and value... striving to keep the feel exciting. When I'm basically finished, I go back over the entire painting, re-stating highlights, shadows and checking that my color values are balanced and lively.

Artist's Oil Brushes _Digital, Painter 9.

#43   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2005, 01:31 AM
Veteran Member
Beautiful Berkeley, California!

Hails from United States

This looks like an intriguing project--I just saw the note in the pastels forum. I am going to give it a try, but since I am also parenting a 10-day-old infant, I may not get to it until life settles a bit--we seem to have a serious lack of routine just now !

Libby
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2005, 11:10 AM
Veteran Member
Mt Sinai, Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

Such great work submmitted.

Stoy, I love your work. It reminds me of a skecth that Rembrant might have done. My only suggestion, if you dont mind, would be to lighten up the front of the nose. My eyes is drawn to that spot. I could be wrong.

JCoop, the painterly look really came out great and you still captured the softness of the child. I had hoped for this effect when I started but found that I couldnt mantain the gentleness of the child. You did.

Lisa, like Mario, I am still unclear about how digital work is done. Is the work actually done on the computer? I would love to see a demo of this done.
My son in law, an artist, gave me the Corel program, but I cant make any sense out of it. Is this the type of program someone would use.
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-04-2005, 11:26 AM
Immortalized
New York

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERENCE P
Lisa, like Mario, I am still unclear about how digital work is done. Is the work actually done on the computer? I would love to see a demo of this done.
My son in law, an artist, gave me the Corel program, but I cant make any sense out of it. Is this the type of program someone would use.

Hi Terence, thank you for commenting on my work. I thought yours was very well done... it has a soft warm quality, and the hair is teriffic!

Lisa's painting was done on the computer in Corel's Painter, Version 9. She has a different style than I do, but we often use the same tools. Our paintings are transferred from their digital form to archival artist's canvas and mounted for framing.

Just thought I'd give you a quick heads-up, incase we don't hear from Lisa right away. Thanks again!