WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States
Re: Paint/draw from the same reference!

Mario - I posterized using Adobe Photoshop Elements 2, blew it up on Posters7 (www.postersw.com), glued it together, rubbed oil stick on the back of the picture and traced it on the board. I also used the "spherize" filter on Photoshop at +5 to fatten the face a little to allow for the distortion of a photo and hopefull, to keep the babylike quality. I usually have to decrease the number to allow for the barrell distortion most photos have. Sandra
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 10:54 AM
Lord of the Arts
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Thanks Sandra.. wow, what am I messing with brushes and paint for? This is indeed a brave new world.. you know, McCluhan had said, "Yesterday's technology is Today's Art".... because there is so much reverance for the technology of our great grandparents.. anyway, I like it all. It is confusing when I don't know that it wasn't done with hairy brushes, though.. I get to feeling that I'm not that adroit with paint..
Upon rereading your post, I am seeing that maybe you only used the Hi-tech for the underpainting? and will continue with spade and hoe, like the rest of us stuck-in-the-past types? lol just kidding..
I am looking forward to hearing from Peoplepainter, too. I checked some of the threads that she started and noticed that she mentioned "doing another version in Oils".. I wonder what that means? Maybe it's a software program? Either way, she is producing some tremendous work.. the photo of the black girl that she had taken is amazingly beautiful and I don't know, from reading the thread, if it is a photo or an 'enhanced' digital work, or what...
I must admit that I have not visited 'wetcampus' for quite a while and so am sadly left behind in this.. please, bear with me and any educating that you care to do with me, will be greatly appreciated.. thanks to all M.
"I would paint something and be satisfied with it for a period of time and then, foolishly, I would go into it again and destroy it. That became so painful that I stopped painting for about five years. Iíd get to a place, maybe an ecstatic moment, or maybe not that good, but somehow it was concluded... Why go and mess with it? But the idea would come to go back into it, assuming that the more times Iíd go back into it, the better itíd get. Well, itís just the reverse!! It doesnít work that way. Itís a gift. Itís kind of given to you" -Nathan Oliveira

Last edited by Mario : 01-02-2005 at 11:02 AM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 11:19 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

Mario - After I trace it onto the board, I paint with oils and brushes. I only use all the technology to get it onto the board. I hear that some people can actually draw, from life, directly onto the board with what I believe are called pencils Wish I had that kind of talent. Sandra
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 11:44 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by asis
Mario - After I trace it onto the board, I paint with oils and brushes. I only use all the technology to get it onto the board. I hear that some people can actually draw, from life, directly onto the board with what I believe are called pencils Wish I had that kind of talent. Sandra

lol , I love it!... well, I did learn something then... the transfer from photo to board worked nicely! way to go.. I have been using soft charcoal on the back of the PC prints, Oil sticks had never occurred to me.. thanks very much!
"I would paint something and be satisfied with it for a period of time and then, foolishly, I would go into it again and destroy it. That became so painful that I stopped painting for about five years. Iíd get to a place, maybe an ecstatic moment, or maybe not that good, but somehow it was concluded... Why go and mess with it? But the idea would come to go back into it, assuming that the more times Iíd go back into it, the better itíd get. Well, itís just the reverse!! It doesnít work that way. Itís a gift. Itís kind of given to you" -Nathan Oliveira
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 12:00 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Mexico

Sandra,
I would love to see what the actual transfer marks that were left with the oil sticks, looked like. You don't happen to have taken a shot of that or of something similar, do you?
And as for the 'glazes', did you mix the alizarin and sapgreen together or did you use them seperately? Do you have any progress pics of this stage, perhaps? (too much to hope for, I guess)
Anyway, you have attained a convincing roundness to the form and I am wondering how you see the next step to be?
If it were I (and I've never done this, before), I would try to lay on opaque colors that are the same values as each of the underpainting's. This is NOT an easy task but it would preserve the solidity of the turning forms. (Just an idea that I wanted to express.)
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 01:48 PM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

The actual process is: Mix aliz. crim. and sap green together (equal parts). Then mix this color in various amounts into Cad. yellow hue to have four or five values running from the pure yellow to the red/green mixture. In this portrait I used the red/green mixture in different strengths to get my values and very little yellow. I still have a lot of corrrections to do in my underpainting. After I am finished with it, I will probably do a glaze over all of the skin with cad orange. I would love to follow your suggestion to lay on opaque colors, but don't know what to use.

Sorry I don't have a picture of what the oil stick looks like initially on the board. I really like using the oil sticks because they disolve as you go along. I use a light brown oil stick.

Thanks, Mario, for your suggestions.

C and C welcome. Sandra
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 01:56 PM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

I'm so glad to see so much interest in this thread!

Zoe, I hope you will make an attempt at doing this one! I think you will find it very helpful. Also, we will be having a Portrait Classroom starting January 11th, that will cover different areas such as mouth, nose, skin tones, etc. You can do your own examples and post them for feedback. I hope you will join in!

Pampe, sure it counts, let's see it!

Ann, can't wait to see what you come up with, it is exciting to watch your development as a portrait artist!

Simon, excellent sketch! I'll look forward to your progress on this.

Terry, I do hope you'll continue. I admire your color handling on your portraits, and I would love to see you finish this.

Nolita, glad you'll be joining in! Can't help with the photography, it's not my strong point. I just make sure I take a photo in the daylight, it makes for truer colors.

Lisa, wow, that was a quick one? Incredible! You are amazing!

Carol, I hope you will find time to do this, I'd love to see how you interpret this photo!

Kareen, so glad you could join in! I think you did a great job with the skin colors for your first portrait!!!

Sandra, great to see you here, and this looks like an excellent start!

Mario, this thread will be up for a few weeks, so I hope you will be able to give this a try.

Here is my initial sketch. I had a hard time getting his eyes aligned properly, did anyone else have a problem with that? I see a few problems in the sketch, but I'm going to transfer it to the canvas anyway, and hopefully fix it while painting.
Attached Images

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 03:23 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Canada

Assi, I really like the loose portrait you did here!
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 03:41 PM
A WC! Legend
Montana

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by eileenclaire
I'm so glad to see so much interest in this thread!

Also, we will be having a Portrait Classroom starting January 11th, that will cover different areas such as mouth, nose, skin tones, etc. You can do your own examples and post them for feedback. I hope you will join in!

OK, Eileen.....who is doing feet & hair demos???? LOL! I really look forward to the line up of talented artists who will be doing demos for this Portrait Classroom!! We need to spread the news about it so MANY will be able to benefit from it!

I'm thrilled to see the INTEREST in drawing/painting this little guy. Wonderful reference! Terrific starts everyone & finish LISA! Look forward to everyone's progress! Thanks EILEEN for all your hard work getting this organized for all of us!

Hey, Mario....

~Be COURAGEOUS, It's one of the few places left still uncrowded~

~Life is not measured by it's length BUT by it's depth~
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Mt Sinai, Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

decided to keep working at the protrait and am posting it as. Dont have time to do more on it. While it resembles the child I didnt capture him and dont like the piece. The photo was so good, with terrific lighting that I thought this would be easy but I found it very hard. I agree with Eileen about the eyes being hard. I changed them 4 times and they are still wrong. Changed the mouth 3 times. the child looks younger than my original start but he still looks older.

Lisa's painting is outstanding.
And everyone else has a great start.
Attached Images

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 03:54 PM
Veteran Member

Eileen, thatís a great idea I like this thread and what a beautiful reference picture.
Iíll join this project, but can only start in a week.

Florian
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 04:59 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Mexico

Terence,
I think that you are doing really well with this.. Again, I would love to know the media being used.. Your first version looked a lot like pastels. What is it that you are using, please? Is it software?
The difficulty with the face and eyes, as I see it, is that the head is slightly turned to model's right. Therefore, the right eye is a turning elipse not straight on as many are struggling with...also, the right cheek should be not as wide..just cut a sliver off of it as it is turning away and therefore foreshortening.........
I, myself, am not a stickler for detail in my own work, but I noticed that many here are, and so I am injecting my own two cents about the perspective of the head, in this case.
I will be in Mexico for the next several weeks and Hello Artbabe..
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 06:00 PM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

Thank you Joceylyn. Just wait until my obsessive disorder takes hold and I get out the size 0 brushes and my magnifier! Sandra
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 06:06 PM
Veteran Member
Mt Sinai, Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

Mario, this was done with pastels on the wallis sandpaper. I usually like to use soft pastels like unison and started that way on this but couldnt get the softness of the child so did it mostly with the nupastels and some soft.

You are right in your comments , thats what is wrong - the features - nose, eyes and turn of head are going in different directions.

And Lisa like Mario, I would also like to know what method you use. Your portrait came out beautiful
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 11:41 PM
UK

Hails from United Kingdom
Smile Re: Paint/draw from the same reference!

Hi all - this a tryout I did of little Nick fooling around with Painter. I quite like the result, so I thought I'd share it.

Duncan
Attached Images