WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#211   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2005, 06:14 PM
San Francisco, California

Hails from United States
Re: Paint/draw from the same reference!

Thankyou Ant Carlos,

I think you did what I guessed but in different order. I wouldn't have brought the hair into it, but I think it's one of those areas that stumps people. When I first started painting I tried to paint every single strand of hair...it seems logical, but it just didn't work. Now I do a base color and use the tonal values for shape. But then that's how it is for everything now, I shade better, but it took, and is still taking practice.

I have to admit I'm a bit jealous that you put the bubble in. Was what I would have done, but then you had it in allready, while I was still trying to get features down(I don't trace, because I'm trying to improve my drawing skills, and well, if I trace I'll fall backwards). I was going to put it in because he's definitely looking at something, and lately I've been practicing bubbles and droplets of water(glass is next on my list of excercises). But I'm happy with my choice of a sparrow. I think it's a good challenge, not as tricky as the hand is, but the feathers will be good practice, since I'm really good at individual feathers and need to get the hang of painting the impression of feathers(I get too carried away with details and I'm trying to break myself of the habit).

I was worried I'd have to trade a sparrow for a butterfly, but I ran a search for photos of people holding sparrows. I found a photo with an adult holding four sparrows on their index finger. I'm pretty sure a 2 or 3 year old can hold one little sparrow, they're very small, and lightweight.

P.S.

I must have run about a thousand searches looking for tasteful, artistic, black and white, nude, photos(with and without the commas). A few months ago I ran a search for nurbs(one of many ways you can make 3d models), it's completely unrelated and yet I found a link to a website with pages and pages of high-res, artistic, black and white, photos of supermodels. They're really high quality and obviously from various fashion magazines(mainly European ones I think). They're probably copyright protected, but excelent for practicing.

If anyone wants the link PM me, or else a mod can say if it's okay to post the link in the forums. Obviously you can't just copy the pics and post them as original art, but I'm sure nobody would mind if you use them for practicing drawing and painting the human form. By supermodels, I'm talking about the girls from the "golden age" of supermodels, Cindy, Christy, Naomi, etc...
  #212   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-27-2005, 08:47 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

Nolita - you sure do know how to hold someone's interest, but, I am not a young person - so hurry up or at least post a wip. Sandra
  #213   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2005, 08:42 AM
Portland, OR

Hi every one i just wanted to post an updated version of my pastel of nick. I am titling this piece " Moon child" . I went Back in and made a few subtle changes. This is a much better picture He was a great reference to use so elieen thanks to you for posting this thread!!

~Carol
Attached Images

#214   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-28-2005, 08:54 AM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States

Very nice, Carol. Beautiful interpretation of Nick.
Pat
  #215   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2005, 01:12 AM
Enthusiast
Northland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Carol
Very nice and imaginitive, wonderful to see people thinking outsi9de of the square, not just copying. Very encouraging and challenging.
More please
Les
  #216   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2005, 08:57 AM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

Carol, I love what you've done with this, and the sparkle in his eye really lights up this portrait!

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh
  #217   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-31-2005, 04:03 AM
Portland, OR

elieen- i went back in and tryed the hot tip from the portrait classroom eyes thread .. It really made a difference!

Striver and vangogh-

thanks a bunch, I plan on doing another version of him from one of the other reference library photos as a sun child. I'll get around to it some day LOL.

~Carol
  #218   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2005, 10:45 AM
Resting in Peace

Hails from United States

Okay, I've decided to post as much of little Nick as I have done. It is not finished and I can't work on it anymore as the paper is driving me crazy. I just can't seem to work with it. This is an oil pastel on pastel sabertooth paper. When I bought it to try it seemed smooth, but the texture is really rough. Very frustrating to work on. Here is Nick and I may try him on AS colorfix or Wallis.
Pat
Attached Images

#219   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-21-2005, 10:50 AM
Lord of the Arts
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Very interesting work, here.. way to go, everyone!
"I would paint something and be satisfied with it for a period of time and then, foolishly, I would go into it again and destroy it. That became so painful that I stopped painting for about five years. Iíd get to a place, maybe an ecstatic moment, or maybe not that good, but somehow it was concluded... Why go and mess with it? But the idea would come to go back into it, assuming that the more times Iíd go back into it, the better itíd get. Well, itís just the reverse!! It doesnít work that way. Itís a gift. Itís kind of given to you" -Nathan Oliveira
  #220   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2005, 12:47 AM
Enthusiast
Northland New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Eileenclaire
Feeling guilty not supporting you as intended, as they say "man supposes and SWMBO disposes". Had two G/C for 4 days and lost my sanity. Kitchen alterations gone into major. Chaos rules. Where are everyone else? Please do not lose heart and keep the good work going on. Perhaps N/W I can find a paint brush or pencil.
Les
  #221   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-22-2005, 09:47 PM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

Hi, Pat! Sorry to hear you had to struggle with that paper. But you pulled off a nice sketch of Nick in spite of that. I know you are getting pieces ready for a show, so I'm glad you were able to squeeze this in.

Les, it sounds like you are buried in renovations and family, LOL! I hope you can see your way clear to join us one of these days. I always look forward to your posts .

Mario, jump on in, the water's fine .

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh