WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2005, 01:54 PM
Immortalized
in a cozy house next to a lovely forest

Lightbulb Paint/draw from the same reference!

This will be a great thread if you are just beginning in portraiture, or if you want to improve your skills, or just have fun! We will be painting or drawing using the reference below. You will have an opportunity to see how other artists approach the same reference, how they resolve problems that may be troubling you. It will be very interesting to see how different artists interpret the same reference.

You can request feedback if you need help along the way. If you like, you can show your work in progress in this thread.

If you have a reference that you would like to submit for use in this thread, please upload it to the WC image library and pm me with a link. We are looking for photos with good lighting (natural lighting from the side works best - no flash photos, please), and good clarity of features.

Here's the photo: Nick, posted by yahooserious (thank you!). A higher resolution image can be found here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/RefLib/show...cat=54&page=42

If you hear a voice within you say "you cannot paint," then by all means paint, and that voice will be silenced.
~Vincent Van Gogh

Last edited by eileenclaire : 01-01-2005 at 02:16 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2005, 02:14 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Rust Belt

Hails from United Nations
Re: Paint/draw from the same reference!

Eileen, thanks so much for broadcasting that the Portraiture Forum is doing this project. I am struggling with just this issue for my Tsunami piece so I'll be following you with great concentration. I've already trashed one piece. I find my drawings nearly always seem better without paint

And Happy New Year to you and the Forum members!
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2005, 03:04 PM
A WC! Legend
The Rockies, Montana, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks..I have already done this child once...LOL....does that count?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2005, 06:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago Suburbs

Hails from United States

A great project to start the new year!
Thanks! Off to get started...

#5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2005, 07:29 PM
Warwickshire,UK

Hails from United Kingdom

Hi all & Happy New Year,

I was really inspired to have a go at this portrait so i went to work straight away and sketched this out, i'am fairly happy with it so far, i'll perhaps work on it more tommorow, i'am off to bed now
Thanks
Simon.
Attached Images

#6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2005, 08:38 PM
Veteran Member
Mt Sinai, Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

Eileen, what a good photo. I was rumagining through my own photos looking for something to paint when I decided to check wetcanvas. No need to look further!
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2005, 09:30 PM
San Francisco, California

Hails from United States

Hi,

I'm definitely joining in as it will help me with the current pic I'm working on. This is so perfect! Really, even though it doesn't look like my imagined little guy, it's still a baby. Today I stared at a pair of what looked to be about 9month old twins(big, and just cutting thier first few teeth). I kept chattering away about how cute they were and complimenting their dad's tatoo, and various assorted other prattlings so people wouldn't think I was a total freak for staring slack-jawed and mumbling art-ref reminders to myself. It was really cold today, and I was torn between being pissed off beyond all belief in that their daddy brought them out barefoot, without hats, and they weren't wearing their jackets, and being all ecstatic, because I could see their wrists/hands, and ankles/feet very clearly and study the folds and fat.

Does anyone have tips for photographing art? I'm going to be sketching the little guy in the ref for this project on cotton watercolor paper(as it's nice and sturdy), and painting him in acrylics. Just got a shiny new bottle of retarding medium so I can get my blend on.

Oh, I need to know how to photograph the pic(digital cam 3mp) because my scanner's a piece of crap that puts a pink cast on everything I scan.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2005, 11:33 PM
Veteran Member
Mt Sinai, Long Island, NY

Hails from United States

I started the portrait of the child and am posting a photo of the wip ( if I continue with it) This is often the point in a painting where I look at it and feel discouraged and decide to toss it. I fight this because often, when I do continue, it becomes one of my better pieces. I think what happens is that I decide that since its no good anyway so I might as well relax and just fool around.

If I do continue with it , there are many changes needed - eyes, height of forehead etc.

The sketch by Simon is beautiful as is.
Attached Images

#9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 12:00 AM
Lord of the Arts
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

That photo is nicely lighted.. it is one of the very few that I would like to try painting.. i am traveling, however.....
"I would paint something and be satisfied with it for a period of time and then, foolishly, I would go into it again and destroy it. That became so painful that I stopped painting for about five years. Iíd get to a place, maybe an ecstatic moment, or maybe not that good, but somehow it was concluded... Why go and mess with it? But the idea would come to go back into it, assuming that the more times Iíd go back into it, the better itíd get. Well, itís just the reverse!! It doesnít work that way. Itís a gift. Itís kind of given to you" -Nathan Oliveira
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 12:32 AM
Lord of the Arts
Chicago Suburbs

Hails from United States

Simon, great start!

Terry, it almost seems like youíve added a year or two to the childís age. Maybe itís the face proportions? I love the colors you are using!

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 03:08 AM
Enthusiast
Missouri

Hails from United States

Hey there!

I like this idea for a thread. It's great to see all the different styles and having one reference makes that even better. It's fun to guess whose work is whose. I can get close sometimes. Great posts so far!

Here's my version. It was a quick one. I felt compelled to throw a collar on because I wasn't sure what else to do with the body. I guess I could have made it look more boyish. Wish the brush strokes showed in the JPEG. Oh well. Cute little guy. I must say a good reference makes painting so much more fun, huh? That hair was a challenge but if I had hair like that I would be thrilled.
Painter 9. Custom oil brushes.

Can't wait to see more! Happy New Year all!

Lisa

Lisa Ober, Portrait Artist
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 08:21 AM
Portland, OR

hi everyone!! What a cute reference!!

This sounds like a great idea!! Maybe I'll give it a shot if i can find time the next day or so would be really fun to do!

Love seeing everyones interpretations !!

~Carol
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 08:46 AM
Lord of the Arts
San Miguel de Allende, Mexico

Hails from Mexico

Hi Lisa,
That portrait certainly is 'grabbing'..
Please, give some details of your method of working. Is this an oil portrait painted with brushes on support or is it a digital portrait done with software on a PC.. also, any names of your tools (paint, software, etc.) I would appreciate it. thanks M.
"I would paint something and be satisfied with it for a period of time and then, foolishly, I would go into it again and destroy it. That became so painful that I stopped painting for about five years. Iíd get to a place, maybe an ecstatic moment, or maybe not that good, but somehow it was concluded... Why go and mess with it? But the idea would come to go back into it, assuming that the more times Iíd go back into it, the better itíd get. Well, itís just the reverse!! It doesnít work that way. Itís a gift. Itís kind of given to you" -Nathan Oliveira
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 09:59 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Santiago, Chile

Hails from Chile

Hi! guys! I don't usually post in the portrait forum i do it in the digital forum. Eillen invited us to participate. I don't have any experience with portraits so i did a trace and from this i started from zero applying colors with a wacom tablet and procreate painter classics...I did this because i found it interesting to try something different....Any critiques regards color is welcome
Attached Images

#15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2005, 10:41 AM
Enthusiast
Alabama

Hails from United States

Thank you, Eileenclaire, for starting this post. I am attaching the underpainting I did this morning. This is how I have been taught to do portraits. It is in oil, 16x20. I used a thin glaze of Aliz. Crim. with Sap Green and medium. I can usually get a reasonable likeness, but I have not learned to do skin tones as we always use the above two hues in addition to Cad. Yellow Light, with a glaze of Cad. Orange - no white! I'll post my next step this afternoon and hope everyone will feel free to jump in with comments, questions, etc. It is on a white canvas so the colors are not true, but I guess it doesn't matter since it is monochromatic at this point. Thanks. Sandra
Attached Images