Home Forums Explore Subjects Landscapes Getting harder

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
  • Author

While there are ups and downs along the way, I get the feeling that painting keeps getting harder, like trying to run faster up a slippery slope. These are oils based on earlier, smaller acrylic drafts. I plan to make further attempts on both subjects. My underpainting plan for the second seemed to fail as the underpainting sucked some life from the final. C&C welcome. Gary

8×10 Oil on Carton Paper.
    [ATTACH]870995[/ATTACH]

9×12 Oil on Gessobord
    [ATTACH]870996[/ATTACH]

My underpainting for the second
    [ATTACH]870997[/ATTACH]

"Painting is a verb"

Both are lovely!

Christel

Love these Gary, they are both filled with beautiful sunlight. Love the distance in the background in the second one.

I know what you mean about painting seeming harder at times. I think as we grow and improve we expect more from ourselves and are harder on our self critiques. At least that’s true for me. I have a disaster on my easel right now, trying to save it but it may be headed to my corner of shame:lol: .

Heather AKA Lucy12
    https://www.heatherrossbach.com
    https://www.instagram.com/heatherrossbachart/
    https://www.facebook.com/heatherrossbachart/?modal=admin_todo_tour

Bizzibee

A slippery slope covered in oily paint, indeed, Gary. I find it is hard because the more I learn, the more I realise how little I know! If it kept getting easier it would be boring, and if it feels harder it means we are stretching ourselves. I think these are super! I don’t know if it because they are in oils, but the colours are beautiful. I very much like the heavy feel of the sky and the barn in the second. In fact, that is what I like about your work: how solidly you paint.

'One must still have chaos in oneself to be able to give birth to a dancing star': Friedrich Nietzsche

Reddyman

Nice work Gary and yes I think like anything in life we do tend to endure times where we seem to level off in our artistic journey. it always seems to be a continual learning curve in my opinion.
            Both of these are beautiful with wonderful colour choices, good depth and nice brushwork.
            John

RandyP

Hi Gary, I like the changes overall to the first one. The light to dark progressions within the trees look really good now. Barn looks good! I think you dialed back the silo too much. The shadow side of it would be the same value as the shadow side of the barn. I also like the second painting very much! In fact I think it’s incredible! Very Nice!!

Improvement in Painting is often one step forward, two steps back. It’s too bad progression isn’t a steady upward curve, but unfortunately it seems the more we learn, the less we realize we know. Keep in mind it’s the journey that matters. No one really “arrives” doing this. No matter how “good” anyone is there is always room for improvement.

Randy

landsmith

I like both your paintings. The barn and silo really stand out in the first.
                    Rob

oldnmartist

I don’t know where I heard this but the 4 stages of painting development are:
                        1. unconscious incompetence
                        2. conscious incompetence
                        3. conscious competence
                        4. unconscious competence

We probably bounce back and forth in these states.

Everything else being equal, I would rather be in the painting zone.

kentiessen

I think the second (with underpainting) is a strong piece- it has good atmosphere, value, and light- much better than your small sketch in those aspects.

Ken Tiessen

www.KenTiessenArt.com
                            Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!

Dorrart

…the 4 stages of painting development are:
                                1. unconscious incompetence
                                2. conscious incompetence
                                3. conscious competence
                                4. unconscious competence

Isn’t that the truth.

I think once you’ve mastered the basics (moved on to #2 above), finding things to paint and locking into a good style (moved on to #3 above) are pretty much all you need to do (to stay at #4 above).

Trikist, I think you have a very good painting style. If you did no more than just find different subjects to paint in your style you would be doing well in my opinion.

These are all good, I like the color and sense of light.

- David

"Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working." --Picasso

Ohiohawk97

I really like the improvements in the first one Gary. As Randy points out, the silo shading will make a big difference.

The second one is excellent. The tree on the left is my favorite and love the background trees that set the stage for the chroma in the foreground. The light is depicted wonderfully as well.

Don’t be too hard on yourself. I have always admired your work and you have a unique style to your brushstrokes that many of us look forward to viewing, including myself.

We all are striving for improvement and that is what makes this hobby/profession so great. We can never master it and new challenges are always presenting themselves.

Wes

Gary, Fine work on these. It’s a struggle to make changes in our approach and expectations. But, I think, better than playing it safe.

Chris DuVal

Love your work!!

Chris DuVal

Thank You Christel.

Thanks Heather. I always chuckle when you mention your corner of shame. When I paint in acrylics, it is great to know that my failures can be soon gessoed over and left to taunt me.

Thanks Trudi. Part of the issue is rising expectations. Part is that a bad painting that follows one that I liked is extra painful.

Thanks John. Both of these were fun to paint.

Thanks Randy. I do need to revisit the silo. Sometimes I get in the middle of a painting and feel a panic as I have no idea what to do next. I suspect that never ends.

Thanks Rob. A red barn in a green setting is still has appeal for me as well.

Thanks Ken. I thought the tree on the right in the second got too muddy.

Thanks Oldnmartist. I know that i have done paintings that I thought worked and tried to duplicate my approach only to have the second fail. There are definitely ups and downs.

Thanks David. I appreciate you encouragement. I have been trying a few still lives to branch out a bit.

Thanks Wes. In the second I did the tree on the left after the one on the right. I was forewarned to go in with heavy, high chroma paint. I worked better to my taste.

Thanks Patrick. I am sure you are right. I have to keep changing.

Thanks Christopher. I appreciate your encouragement.

Thanks again. Gary

"Painting is a verb"

Bardo

Gary,
                                            I really like these paintings, strong light and shadow and good compositions. I thing we progress not in a linear fashion but in fits and spurts, with plateaus along the way. I am on a plateau myself and looking for ways to get on with it! Your work is great so don’t sweat it!
                                            Freeman

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 23 total)
                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.