WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Photography > The Shutterbug Pub
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 07:20 AM
Lord of the Arts
Southwest Georgia (Columbus) on the banks of the Chattahoochee River

Hails from United States
The Shutterbug Pub, Thursday, January 23, 2020

Good morning fellow shutterbugs. Warmer this morning here in Georgia. We plan on doing a little shopping today to start getting ready for the camping trip coming up. It will be a short one, only 5 nights but it is something we have been doing for several years now.

Many visits to the St. Mark NWR while we are down there.

Another Snow Goose coming in for a landing.

Nikon Z 6, D500, and D7000. Nikkor 28-300, 16-80, 35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/4 S, 14-30mm f/4 S, Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 and 150-600mm f5-6.3, YN468-II Speedlite, Adobe Lightroom CC Classic and 6, Adobe Elements 14, Adobe Photoshop CC, Topaz suite.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 09:16 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: The Shutterbug Pub, Thursday, January 22, 2020

Thats a great capture Don!
Landing gear down!
Nice color in the background.

Its 36F with a wind chill of 32F
right now.

Thank you for starting the pub today!
I'll be back later with something to post.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 10:13 AM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

Don, Your photos are blowing me away. Are the birds flying in slow motion so that you get shots like this? I just can't believe how clear the captures are.
Thanks for staring the daily. After being awake for two hours during the night, I slept in till 9:30. So, I missed fulfilling another good intention.

HEY DON, how was the speaker last night?

Hi Ya Patty,
I know you are anxious to get out and take photos, it won't be long for you now before blossoms start to sprout. It looks like winter over here, all is white out still because of the big storm we had last week and cold temps since. We are expecting another storm to go through this weekend.

It will be more stuff like this:

Have a good Thursday all. Looking forward to my photo club meeting tonight.

LORELL
Olympus OM-D E-M1 MarkII, Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens, Sigma 2.8mm FishEye Lens
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 01:17 PM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

What a superb photo, Don!

Hi Damar. Here at 10:00 AM local it's clear, calm, and about 59F; should get up to 64-65F.

Hi Lorell. I gotta say that I don't miss those Michigan winters. But they do present good photo opportunities, as yours proves.

Hadn't taken many photos over the past few days - mundane real-life stuff got in the way. So today I took the camera out to the front yard in the early-mid morning. Here's one I just processed...

[Nikon D7500 + Nikkor 18-300 taken @ 300mm, manual mode, 1/640 sec, f/10, ISO 500, processed in ACR & PSCS5]

Ummmm, isn't today the 23rd?
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 01:44 PM
Sterling Heights, Michigan

Hails from United States

Dave,

hey folks, we got ourselves some real nice photos going on here in Thursday's thread. Dave, that is awesome. It is nice how the background agrees with the overall color scheme. Excellent macro indeed.

I will take care of the date for you.

Later, all.
LORELL
Olympus OM-D E-M1 MarkII, Nikon D5100, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, Tamron 16-300mm lens, Tamron 90mm Macro lens, Sigma 2.8mm FishEye Lens
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 02:38 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States
Re: The Shutterbug Pub, Thursday, January 23, 2020

Dave, you've had some real nice photos lately!
This one included!

Lorell,
I remember the icy, frosty, slushy mess of winter quite well.
The smell of wet woolens steaming on the cast iron radiator to dry.
Snow packing in the door
Snow melting down inside my little red boots
Ice packed in my ice skate laces
The sound of snow and ice sliding off our tin roof.
Your photo brings back memories!

I'm going to break with nature and post one from Feb 2017

When the guy a few doors up sets his back yard on fire!
LOL
Firemen in shirt sleeves: yes, it can be that mild here in Feb.

#7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 07:28 PM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you, ladies. Compliments from folks as talented as you are means a lot. (I'll admit that I am pleased with my shot of the ragged dandelion - it turned out better than I expected.)

Fire trucks and firefighters are always interesting subjects - very nice photo there.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2020, 08:03 PM
Lord of the Arts
Southwest Georgia (Columbus) on the banks of the Chattahoochee River

Hails from United States

Great shot Dave. I like shots like that... Lorell, the speaker was good but I have to say I didn't learn a lot. He did mostly "people" photography, lots of senior HS photos, etc. Interesting talk though, especially about building a rapport with the subject. I don't have to worry about that when I am photographing a bird or a flower. Your photo of snow (or ice) makes me cold. I'm not a big fan of snow and/or ice. When we drove up to Sandia Crest to try to get the Rosy-finches there must have been 4 to 6 inches of snow on the ground. The last 3 miles were white knuckle for me but we really didn't have a problem.

Heh, it would be embarrassing for the fire truck to have to come out because you've set your back yard on fire.

Sorry about getting the date wrong. Thanks for changing it.
Nikon Z 6, D500, and D7000. Nikkor 28-300, 16-80, 35 f/2.8, 24-70 f/4 S, 14-30mm f/4 S, Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 and 150-600mm f5-6.3, YN468-II Speedlite, Adobe Lightroom CC Classic and 6, Adobe Elements 14, Adobe Photoshop CC, Topaz suite.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-24-2020, 08:35 AM
A WC! Legend
Huntington Beach, CA

Hails from United States

Thank you, Don. It's especially gratifying when top-notch photographers like you (as with Lorell and Damar mentioned earlier) compliment one of my shots.

Like you, I'm not a big fan of cold & snow - got enough of that growing up in Michigan and going to college in Wisconsin.

I went back to study your Snow Goose photo some more. In addition to faultless sharp focus and great action, you nailed the clarity, quality of light, and colors. That rich blue on the top of the wings is gorgeous.

Damar, the story about the firefighters reminded me of a time many years ago when I was doing some backyard grilling: I used a metal chimney-type charcoal starter. Of course these generate pretty thick smoke in the beginning, and a neighbor (acting with the best of intentions but a bit rashly) called 911. The fire station is just as few blocks away, so almost immediately two full-sized ladder trucks pulled up, sirens blaring. The firefighters (stern and imposing fellows) ran to the front door and knocked loudly. I tried to explain what the situation was, but (being extra careful, as they should) they insisted on checking things for themselves. So these 3 or 4 huge guys, axes and other gear in hand, rushed from the front door through the living room and out back through the French doors.

It was a little embarrassing, but we all got a laugh out of it once they realized there was no real fire, no danger.