Home Forums Explore Subjects Animal and Wildlife Subjects Blue Frog (x-post watercolor)

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Leah Howard

Hey everyone, here’s my first finished painting since I’ve been working full time again. I forced myself to do it all yesterday because if I stopped I might never have felt motivated to go back. I had some trouble with proportions and most of the white is gel pen, so I’m not as happy with it as my orange frog, but still like how it turned out and I’m just glad I got to paint again.

I used paints handmade with natural pigments by Greenleaf & Blueberry that I got for Christmas. They aren’t as vibrant as my palette of commercial paints, so I borrowed the brighter green and purple from my regular palette. I think this subject in particular would’ve looked much nicer with bright colors, but they were still fun to use. I love the granulation here and there.

5×7″ on 140lb paper.

C&C Welcome!
        @leahpaints

I can picture him/her in a dank place. Atmospheric! Well done!

Penny
        I live in Wiltshire, England
        “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.” -Will Rogers

Skappy

well done

The darkness of the whole composition appeals to me as it seems perfect for the blue frog, mysterious and totally in part with nature. Glad you got to paint again.

Kay

Moderator: Watermedia, Mixed Media, Abstract/Contemporary

fedetony

Great textures and shapes… Really like the darker tones. The illusion of light comes in the contrast you choose in your tones… so if you want it to be more colorful just make it more transparent and add several layers as flat and consistent as possible :)

Federico Garcia
                My Blog
                C&C always welcome :D

"...when someone gives a critique of your work, fear not. It usually means they like or care more of your work than when they just pat your back." - Tiago

Leah Howard

Great textures and shapes… Really like the darker tones. The illusion of light comes in the contrast you choose in your tones… so if you want it to be more colorful just make it more transparent and add several layers as flat and consistent as possible :)

The paints I used here were handmade using pigments from the earth, and honestly each color in the palette just doesn’t have much contrast with the others. They are a luxurious idea and fun to play around with, but much less saturated than my usual palette. I know it doesn’t look like it, but there are many many layers on here already, and I really struggled to get the saturation I was looking for here. …I’ll definitely use them again for more earth-toned subjects… but will most likely use them to just supplement my normal watercolors.

C&C Welcome!
                    @leahpaints

Triduana

I think it’s wonderful, the dark areas give a lovely atmosphere. I really like the colours you’ve used and the granulation is lovely. :)

Kay D - Edinburgh, Scotland

So long, and thanks ...

Good for you Leah. Glad you found time to paint again. This is really good. I love the way the frog slips gently into the dark background without losing its colourful identity.

Chammi
                        My Blog/WIP's and Tips: Chammi's Art Escapades

Old_git

Very atmospheric! ove the colours and composition.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.