WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2014, 07:20 AM
A WC! Legend
Beaudesert Queensland Australia

Hails from Australia
Re: PAL (Paint-a Long): Painting glass and Metal

Jim Wow!!your painting is beautiful and so much more interesting than the photo. That blue is stunning. Bravo
Susan that green marble is so good and it most certainly looks like glass.

I did this today and I started out with good intentions but quickly slipped into my usual style, I cant seem to focus on the subject long enough to get the sort of realistic results that are being produced here. I enjoyed the exercise none the less.
I was working away from home off an android tablet and missed a lot of the detail that is evident when I look at the photo on this computer. I will try to do a bit more work on it tomorrow and fix some of the more obvious problems.
Ref taken from RIL and supplied by !becca

#107   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2014, 09:43 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Quote:
you must be enjoying the process to keep at it!
Maureen, not true.
As I've been told by several pros and judges, when I simply copy a photograph, I am just displaying technical skills but absolutely no creativity.
In the time I've spent working on this, I could've been painting on the Challenge of the Month (which I have yet to start), two wks of WDE, and at least two mornings of plein air.
Or I could've painted yet another super-realistic car/truck ptg.
Painting is my hobby, my busywork, my therapy.
This is just another formulaic effort, destined for the recycle bin.
NBD (no big deal).
  #108   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2014, 10:56 AM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Your painting looks better than the photo Jim. It better not go in the recycle bin! lol You may have painted the shapes accurately but you have been creative with the colours. And I think effort is worth something.

I haven't been commenting on everything here but I have been following along. I wish I could find time to paint. You're all doing well. Glass seems like a scary thing until you get some experience.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #109   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2014, 11:12 AM
Texas

Hails from United States

Susan....Nice work on the marbles especially the green one. That is a subject I have totally shied away from. I'm a big chicken

Jim...Waiting for the finish.

Christine...Waiting for your finish as well. You are brave, IMHO, to tackle the glow. So far so good
  #110   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2014, 11:25 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

I agree with Michelle - absolutely JIM!!!!

There are things about this that really are not formulaic - the creative colour for one ..... and, very importantly, the fact that you explain the HOW - that's really valuable for learners - and for those want in a more realistic style.

OK, I agree that copying something is a skill which can be learnt but your work goes past that.
For many, there's a satisfaction in being able to reproduce in paint what they see in a photo and you know how to do that so maybe the satisfaction is not as it was when you first mastered the technique.
But you shouldn't decry your work - if you have no pride in it why do it?
If you have satisfaction from showing others the HOW, then surely that's something?

From my POV, if I wasn't enjoying the process I'd stop - so if you aren't enjoying it, why continue?

For the purpose of this Class and the forum, I'm pleased you are doing it! ... but you need to get pleasure from your hobby too!

Christine - in a sense your work is the antithesis of what Jim's saying -
As I've said to you before, your style is unique and I wouldn't want you to change it. If you really wanted a 'realistic' piece, as you think the rest is in this class, then you really could do it but you may not enjoy it! It's a question of starting 'small' (as opposed to a full size comp) and learning how to translate the shapes and colours accurately - it's a good exercise!

My advice would be to do what comes naturally!

this painting is very jewel-like! I love the touches of colour and the changes in colour and tone that give this sparkle!
It's a very difficult subject but your portrayal of it def. suggests lights and glass.
My one crit is that, at the moment, your b/g is so light everything floats whereas the photo b/g, because it's so dark, grounds the glasses.

Now you're viewing it on the comp screen, take care with that plate ellipse - it's shallower than you suggest.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #111   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2014, 01:41 PM

Kicked up the hilites a little. Not really done, but after 16 h, I'm finished. Again, 16 x 20, canvas panel. Now ready for some shiny metal. (Maureen, PLEASE NO CAR BUMPERS!)

Okay, because everybody on this forum likes these 'realistic' renditions, just for giggles, I'll enter it in the regional group show in Sep. The juror for the show is one of the foremost jurors/art teachers/professors around here. In the past, her judging has been quite eclectic. And she writes very honest critiques for just about everybody. Unfortunately, I'm pretty sure she knows my 'realistic' work from other shows, so I pretty much can guess her critique on this.
  #112   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2014, 03:33 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Well good luck anyway Jim - and I'll bet you a pound to a penny that, regardless of the jury, the visitors will like it!

I wouldn't dream of doing car bumpers - that's all yours for class #2

I'm really not into painting cars at all - done a couple of vintage types in w/c for the WDEs over the years - but not at all detailed!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #113   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2014, 07:38 PM
A WC! Legend
Beaudesert Queensland Australia

Hails from Australia

Thanks Maureen, Your comments are so insightful and I have learnt so much from you over the years. I was trying to discipline myself into getting more detail into my work but it takes all the joy out of it for me. I paint for me and then if somebody else likes it enough to actually pay money for it or I am fortunate enough to win a prize then they are a bonus. I have accepted a couple of commissions in the past but never enjoyed the process and feel that the results are never good enough. I will stick to painting for the pure joy of doing it, it makes me happy.

Jiiimmmm!!! you painted out the blue . In my humble uneducated opinion you took it a step too far. It is more like the photo which I know is what you were striving for but the step before looked BETTER than the photo at least to my old myopic eyes.
  #114   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2014, 09:06 AM

Christine, sorry about the blue
  #115   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 08:34 AM
Middle East

Hails from Egypt

Hi all! Glad to join this Paint along (hope I'm not too late to the party )!
I'm really awed at the quality of the work here

I've done a few paintings with glass, but it's still a weak point for me.
I've done this quick study from my own still life setup, and ready to move on to a painting:

From my still life setup:

Just wondering, does anyone do glazing with glass? Would it be possible to achieve good results this way? I'm looking for a more smooth effect than that I achieved with dry brush.

Any feedback is welcome for sure, Sara
  #116   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 12:31 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Welcome Sara - and not late at all!
This painting is pretty good - it looks like glass - you've got shapes and tone, looked at distortion ... good study!

Yes, you can glaze - I do more glazing in painting than using dry brush!

**My SAA website**
  #117   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 01:24 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

Welcome Sara. You've done well with your glass. Kind of fun, huh?
  #118   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 03:22 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Jim...that turned out great!! IMO...wow!!

Christine....thanks!! I love the colors in yours! I agree with Maureen about the bg tho'...it was my first thought.

I do agree about car bumpers... I did one, once, for the monthly challenge. So I have done my car...

Hi Sara...welcome! Great glass!

I did "finish" the marbles. Wish now I'd put them on canvas...might have played more... But it's ok for what it is, on paper.

Can still see lots of potential tweaks, but...don't seem to have any umph to fix them. Could be this 100° + heat...whew! Siesta weather...
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #119   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 04:49 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Susan - there's nothing wrong with paper!
When you've cooled down and tweaked where you want to (where?) frame it!
that green one certainly has depth!

**My SAA website**
  #120   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2014, 07:37 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Maureen...I did not mean there was anything wrong with paper...some of my best work is on paper. For portraits I actually prefer it, sometimes. I had the idea, too late, to use pouring medium or gloss gel or some medium anyway, and actually make the marbles rounded like I did once with that crystal ball?

I just don't think that paper will hold up to that kind of thing. That's all I meant.
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy