WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2014, 05:33 AM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Let me draw your portrait, then tell me how you feel about it please!

Just called back in.....great work everybody! Loads of variety too.
As far as the portraits of me are concerned...
Dave: I like the kindly avuncular look, I'll cultivate that in future
Adam: A handsome looking guy....the Hollywood version of me! I like it.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2014, 08:35 AM

Hails from Scotland

test

Last edited by gitrmkr : 03-20-2014 at 08:37 AM.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2014, 08:43 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Lurkers how preposterous!

hope you don't mind me jumping in...

Sorry lady Sue didn't get to you yet..

hope it's ok that you all share a page in my 9x12 sketch book...

Love all your renditions..!..sorry I could only manage folks that kinda look like you..

Here's my ugly mug...a somewhat distorted selfie..ok..I really do have a big honker..

wish I looked like George Clooney..

Irwin
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2014, 10:30 AM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

hey now, irwin! very nice drawings, you seem to have gotten the expressions of each perfect, certainly the mood, and the details look accurate from here ...called you out with the lurker comment, eh? well thanks for joining in, i'll draw you next...but first i have a life session with a friend (who has no idea what he's gotten himself into )...oh, and that silly thing called work, too
ps you do kinda look like clooney

harry that wasn't on purpose! but i do often draw men better looking than they are and women less so...still trying to find that balance - but give yourself some credit you handsome devil you

i made a nice start on ladysue, will post pics later
hope you all enjoy your day

My Blog
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Veteran Member
Ottawa-Hull, Canada

Hails from Canada

Can't wait to see how I turn out!
My husband couldn't believe I posted that awfull picture of me

Irwin, great work. I must admit I prefer the first 2. The Adamrice portrait looks a little off to me, something with the eye on the far left and tip of the nose a little short perhaps... I can't say that I did any better as you will see when I post Adamrice tonight.

Well I only have 20 mins left on my lunch break to put down the main proportions for Jorneyman's portrait,

Then it's back to earning a living and tonight fun filled income tax meeting with the accountant!

Wouldn't life be great if we could just sit and draw?
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2014, 12:48 PM
Veteran Member
Ottawa-Hull, Canada

Hails from Canada

«ladysue nice correction! now it looks more like amai. you chickened out of the proper shadow on her left (our right) side, just a little more would better describe the jawline. and while you're at it, darken the upper lip and put the crease down the bottom lip where the 2 major muscle groups come together i'm just teasing (and nitpicking) that is a great drawing and i can't wait to see mine! »

You were right, I did further adjustments but I will not post it since postings are limited. Thnks for nitpicking, I went from getting global critiques to little details to adjust in like a year! I'm happy with that.
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2014, 05:21 PM
Veteran Member
Ottawa-Hull, Canada

Hails from Canada

Here is Adam. I know something is off. I tried fixing it but did not find the right answer.
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2014, 07:06 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Replying in backwards order...

Ladysue Your portrait of adamrice looks really good! The only things I can see are that you widened the side of his face slightly, and that there is a larger value drop on the shadow side of his nose than there is in the photo, but other than that, its pretty much perfect as far as I can tell.

Hockey dad Glad to see you jump in. Like the light in your photo. Looking like George Clooney wouldn't be much help. The internet is full of reference photos of him I really like your sketches. I think your portrait of Journeyman is my favourite of him so far. I like how you caught the sort of noble look of 123harry photo. Adams portrait does look a little phoned in, but I love your portrait of me. It has the deer in the headlights look to the eyes that I always get when being photographed, and looks more like how I see myself than the photo does.

Adamrice thanks for the critique. I do have that chapter in my book. I edited the photo slightly (desaturated, and bumped the contrast) similar to the print out lady sue has, which caused the hair and beard to be more or less the same value. I completely forgot that I had done that, and matched to the edit, and didn't go back to the original for finishing touches, so it wasn't so much artistic license, as due diligence laziness. I'll remember to look at the original next time before calling it done.
  #54   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2014, 07:46 PM

Hello everyone! Just rushing through to post my latest drawings; sorry I can't write much right now. Some quick random thoughts though:

Very impressed with Hockeydad's work! Amai's take is really good -- It's making me feel sloppy about what I did - so thanks for the push! :-) Will also post my photo when I'm back, soon! Keep up the great dynamics, I look forward to draw everyone else!

Best,
Pedro
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2014, 08:31 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

GraphicPortraits glad to see you posting! If you saw the larger size of the pieces I'm doing, you definitely wouldn't think yours were sloppy But ignore that, and keep the push.

Pen is a bold medium choice, but you handled it well. The likeness are pretty good, but they have more of a caricature feel to me, I'm not sure if that was your intention or not.

The portrait of 123harry has great expression to it, but his features are a little large for the size of the face (especially the back of the skull). I like the work with the values their very consistent, and your alignments are good.

Your alignments and feature placements in adamrice's portrait are fairly solid too. The only things I note are that nose doesn't quite have the right convex curve to it and the angle of the beard is slightly more level in yours than in the photo, and the mouth in your drawing bunches a little in the middle. I really like the way you handled the hair and the ear and the shirt, simply, as less important, putting significance where it matters and not wasting it where it doesn't. It gives it a really light feel to the drawing.

My attempt at Ladysue. As usual, I fought with the eye, and the eye won. I am fairly happy with the hair though, and usually that's the part I like the least.

Last edited by Amai : 03-20-2014 at 08:37 PM.
  #56   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2014, 03:04 AM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

howdy folks!
i didn't get as far as i hoped today, and now it's almost tomorrow so i should sleep....
working backwards:
amai, that is truly fantastic. the expression is powerful, the play of light across her face is excellent. the nose is a little low in relationship to the glasses, whcih in turn crowds the mouth. the nostril should have a stronger downward slant. also the eyebrow has a slight jag at the crest of the brow. disregarding the cast shadow from the hair just above the chin on her right (our left) side, the shape of the bottom lip isn't quite right, it should be a tad fuller with a bit of shadow under. the fact that these little nit=pick items are all i can find speaks volumes to this amazing portrait
pedro welcome back to your thread! i agree with amai, the lightness of your style is refreshing, the portraits capture a likeness despite a certain caricature quality. you stretched my nose and cheekbone well past their actual locations, and the eyes are a little small, although the shape of them seems spot on. the corner of the mouth seems a bit higher than in this pic, but that's what it looks like when i smile wider same thing more or less with harry - his nose and cheekbones sit higher on his face in both cases the cross hatching and line work more than make up for these discrepancies. i wish my lines were as clean as yours
ladysue what a great job!! i actually like it better than the original that said, amai is right (again) you stretched the face in both directions - on my right (our left) side, you followed the line of the cast shadow on the cabinet, which ends with the beard and allows the chin to jut out away from the line of the cheek ever so slightly. and on my left (our right) side i think it's just the angle of the jawline as it wraps towards the ear. in the photo it's almost perpendicular, which keeps the ear closer to the eyes. then it looks like you stretched the nostril to compensate. all that said i love it, i think it's my favorite (of me) so far.
i didn't finish ladysue after all, but i'll post my progress for critique sake. i started on hockeydad as well, but sorry no pic yet

looks like i did a fair amount of stretching as well! anyway, tell me what you see

My Blog
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2014, 08:46 AM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Ha lots of activity and new participants congratulations Pedro your idea is taking off

Here is my charcoal attempt of Irwin.

Thanks for a great photo Irwin

Don’t have anything useful to say about others work at the moment so will keep shtum apart from saying I’m enjoying it all .

Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2014, 08:34 PM
The Left Coast

Hails from United States

Nice efforts across the board! Amai - I like that digital work especially! I took a shot at Amai - though the photo is fairly distorted I tried to adjust things that seemed to be pulled by the lens ( most selfie's are way distorted due to the quality of the lens and camera ( smart phone)..

May work on this some more as it's just a a few hours on my sketchbook..

"kevinwueste" on instagram

Last edited by kevinwueste : 03-21-2014 at 08:38 PM.
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2014, 03:45 PM
Veteran Member
Ottawa-Hull, Canada

Hails from Canada

I like learning from you guys.

Pedro, I can not figure out how you manage to capture likeness in most cases, without it being an exact copy... I think you will not have to do the whole 1000 to "find your voice" just love how Harry Turner out.

Amai, when you say "digital" What exactly is it. As mentioned before, I m not very computer litterate. Anyhow, I like how my portrait turned out.

Adam, I agree There is some stretching to be fixed. Let me know how it turns out.

Dave, I think it looks like an almost finished portrait and à good one at that but I would push back Irwin´ s chin just a tad to our left... My grain of salt

Ok here is today s contribution. Something needs to be reworked. The hubby says our left, the cheek too wide. I m thinking the eyes maybe not in the right spot and the nose note quite the right shape

#60   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2014, 11:49 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada

Hi there ..a had a crit on each all done up and pressed the wrong key..frig..GONZO..ARGHH!!!...anyway I really hate to critique and find all your efforts extremely well done..all seem to catch the spirit of the model vey well!..and I think that;s what really counts..

Hey Dave ..I love me!

nice to seeyou back Pedro..thanks so much for starting all this..come on..your pic please?!

Hey Kevin..nice to see u here!.always inspiring ...but hey..play the game and post a pic ..we need more victims!

Here's a quick little 4x3 of Ladysue...hmmm..sorry Sue I tried. ..but hey..it was fun to do nonetheless!

bye for now

Irwin