WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2014, 05:00 AM
A Local Legend
Gretton

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Let me draw your portrait, then tell me how you feel about it please!

Nice idea, Pedro. If you want a more mature (one way of putting it) model here I am.....

#17   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2014, 05:57 PM

Hey good people! Here's my rendition of Amai:

@Journeyman: I like what you did there! I'd push the contrast a bit further -- especially the line between lips and the shadow cast from upper eyelid... although that may be a problem with the scan (not the actual drawing).

@Adamrice: Welcome aboard! No worries about the hat, we can handle it! :-)

@123harry: Variety is great for drawing practice, so all subjects are welcome! That's good lightning on that photo, too -- I think it will translate well to drawing.

Soon,
Pedro

Last edited by GraphicPortraits : 03-13-2014 at 06:00 PM.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2014, 12:24 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

GraphicPortraits Another one that I can definitely tell is me. So far better luck on this thread with my face than my self portrait pile of shame.

This one still has a certain chain-pierced look to it. You've made my individual features prettier (thanks for that, btw) but as whole, they're all sitting just a little out of place, and not entirely consistently (like the tilt in the last one). Part of that is probably the glasses (sorry).

I do like how you softend the forhead on this one. The shading on the nose is a little abrupt, and since the angle of the photo almost but not quite front on, it mades the nose look a little more lopsided that it actually is. I do like how dark you pushed the darks (although thats reading to me as a digital tweak?)

This may sound a little weird, but since you asked for honest opinion's, I'm hoping you won't offended by my good intention and awkward wording. I think this drawing is more flattering to my face, than it is to your drawing skills. The slight wonkiness (technical term) in feature placement, and the gorgeous crisp tones and smooth lines of the features themselves make it look like a weaker drawing of a prettier person than it actually is.

On the plus side of that though, once you start hooking things together more solidly, your work should sell like hotcakes, because most people looking for portraits are looking for the prettier versions of themselves.

123harry that is a great shot. I like the sort of diplomatic/important person vibe you have going, and you have, no weirdness intended, a great face, but after spending two hours trying to figure out what was going wrong working on it, I personally am going to leave your portrait in more talented hands.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2014, 08:18 AM

@Amai: Loved your criticism, and those raw "akward wordings" are my favorite part. You did a great reading of the picture, and showed a keen eye for the digital treatment.

Although it's funny in a way (and very interesting) since my perspective on this drawing is just the opposite ... I think it does more about revealing my energetic-clumsy approach to drawing than it does about flattering your looks. :-)

In fact... if there's something I've realized about my portrait drawing is that I'm terrible at prettifying people and conveying that ultra-clean photogenic look that clients seem to crave. Not sure if I'll ever be in demand as a portrait artist, but I do know the more I do it, the more I'm fascinated about this subtle balancing act of impressions vs reality.

Reminds me of an old saying I read in an old portrait drawing manual; something along the lines of..

"There are three versions of every person: how they seem themselves; how the others see the person; and the reality of what the person really looks like"

But I digress. Anyway... from a pictorial aspect, the glasses were my favorite part of this drawing. Looking at it now, I think I was sloppy drawing the jaw, especially the left side. I didn't pay enough attention to the neck and shoulders, either. I made similar mistakes to what happened in my rendition of Journeyman's, but yet I did a little progress, possibly because I reminded myself to stay better focused.

I've very pleased with the insights I picked up so far from both you esteemed volunteers; I look forward to continue this. Will come back soon with the next portraits! Look forward to see more drawings by everyone else, too!
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2014, 03:53 PM
A Local Legend
Pembrokeshire. West Wales UK

Hails from Wales

Hi Pedro, that’s a good drawing of Amai and a great critique from the lady her self. Don’t think there is much more I can add constructively. On your feed back on my values, I photograph the drawings rather than scan them, that does lose some of the values but they are not far off so I probably could try and get darker with the pencil.

Thanks for joining in Adam and Harry I’ve really enjoyed drawing you both today during brakes from digging the garden.

Adam in Pencil.

Harry in Trois Crayon

Dave
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg
Are you ready for a Journey?
PS Critiques always welcome but no plaudits or emoting please.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2014, 12:51 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Lovely portrait of adamrice. I love the soft handling. His right eye seems like it got a bit high on you. At the hair line, you rounded it slightly, where it is more square in the photograph, and looks like you lost a little of the depth to the back of the skull. But those are mostly niggly things that I noticed when I went back to the photo, my first impression was that it was lovely work.

For the portrait of 123Harry it's nice to see some colour in the thread! I love the eyes in the portrait, you caught their expression nicely. I'm not sure if it was intention, or it got away from you, but in the photo his head is tipped up slightly, whereas you have it tipped down. You also got caught on the same thing that got me. You did really well with the form shadow on the side of the face, and the cast shadow on the neck, but didn't quite have the same solidity on the front planes of the cheeks. The red of his right cheek makes it seem like the value is lower (darker), and the field effect of the light of his left cheek among the darker turned planes of the side of his nose and face, make that seem like a lighter value, but when depicted that way, it flattens the face, and makes the effect of the turn harder to see. Sorry about the chop work of the drawing and the photo, but I thought it might make it easier to see what I mean. The top boxes are sections of the actual image taken out of context, the bottom boxes on the left are highest value from the area (top) and lowest (darkest) value (bottom) of the viewers left cheek, and the right are the same (high-top, low-bottom) of the right. It seems like such a small difference in value, but it has an annoyingly large effect on achieving convincing light effects in the finished piece.

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2014, 01:45 PM

Hello, everyone! I'm very humbled with how keen you both are on the use of color, which is an aptitude I sorely lack at this point. I love colors, but they confuse me to no end when it comes to using them to draw :-)

Based on what I've observed from Journeyman's portraits and what I've understood from Amai's critique of said portraits, two things have come to mind that may be useful to him:

1) To make your figures even more solid and vivid, it seems you will do well to keep expanding on the range of values you use. To this effect, you may want to rely on a similar "value finding" tool to what Amai expressed in her Photoshop montage; try cutting a square in a piece of paper place it over the source material to to isolate absolute values.

2) My "crazy" bit of insight would be: to raise your current level from great to masterful, you have to be fearless about ruining your best portrait work even while you're doing it. I sense that you proceed boldly up to a point where the drawing starts shaping up, but then you get overly cautious with it. I believe sometimes you have to sacrifice some drawings for the sake of improving your craft!

Hope that helps! I'll try to keep all this advice in mind (yours and mine) while doing my take of both portraits, later tonight.

Soon,
P.

Last edited by GraphicPortraits : 03-16-2014 at 01:47 PM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2014, 01:54 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Both good advice. Don't worry about not being ready for colour. I'm in that same boat myself. I'm still working on getting solidity in my values, and as soon as I throw colour (with its inherent temperature, chroma, and hue issues) into the mix, I lose what value progress I've made. Someday, but for now I keep reminding myself that fools rush in...
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2014, 01:58 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Wales

Hi Amai, you have a very good eye for spotting and assessing what is wrong with our drawings so thank you very much for going to so much trouble with this critique it’s much appreciated .
Have just got back from work and now have to go out again but I will have a good look at what you have done with the computer and get the most out of your critique later, from a quick reading I know that you are correct about all the aspects you have picked out .

Thanks again, Dave

PS just missed you Pedro and Amai, you replied while I was typing more later
“What peaches and what penumbras! Whole families shopping at night! Aisles full of husbands! Wives in the avocados, babies in the tomatoes!—and you, Garcia Lorca, what were you doing down by the watermelons?”
— Allen Ginsberg

Last edited by Journeyman : 03-16-2014 at 02:03 PM. Reason: PS
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2014, 05:27 PM
Beautiful British Columbia, Canada

What an EXCELLENT idea for Pedro to start this thread! Thank you, Pedro! As we all know, as portrait artists, it isn't always easy to find photo portraits to draw/practice from. I'd certainly love to participate. I'll look for a photo to share asap

E
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2014, 07:07 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Canada

Thank you for the compliment Journeyman I value an opportunity to critique and be critiqued. I find it is much easier to see what needs work in works that I have not done myself. There, I have blind spots the size of steam ships, which can only be cleared by someone pointing them out to me.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-16-2014, 09:40 PM
A Local Legend
Arkansas

Hails from England

This is a wonderful thread and I will have to have a go if the cat will let me!
Journeyman when I post pencil drawings I convert them to black and white on Photoshop and this shows the values better. Somebody also told me there is a black and white setting on the camera too but I haven't looked into that!

C & c's always welcome
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2014, 12:17 PM
A Local Legend

Hails from Wales

Thanks to all for the continued feedback, I’ll try to keep it all in mind with the next one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jen
when I post pencil drawings I convert them to black and white on Photoshop and this shows the values better.
That’s an excellent Idea Jen I’ll try it with my life drawings from today.

Pedro on colour, Harries portrait is just Trois Crayon which is Sanguine, charcoal and white chalk. If you mix the Sanguine and black you get brown, mix the black and white to get blue. So you have a lot of colour from just a very simple pallette which will teach you about temperature relationships as well as value, especially if you work on a warm or cool paper.

Dave
— Allen Ginsberg
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2014, 09:43 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon

Hails from United States

Hi everyone!

i was out of town for a few days so i felt like i had dropped out, but no - here i am

excellent renderings so far, and a thoroughly enjoyable group
i'll look over everything more in detail to see if there is any unvoiced critique i feel needs addressing, but i did just want to say i love the texture you got on my hat, dave - i don't know if that was technique or the type of paper or what, but it really jumped out at me as a lovely effect.

so i started with amai, trying to do more cross-hatching than i'm used to because it looks so nice when done well and i tend to "smudge" my way through a drawing...limited success, but it came out ok:

now i was getting warm, so i drew dave more in my usual style of focusing on value shapes and mood rather than detail:

now fully in swing i tried harry on grey-toned paper, going for minimalism and letting the paper do most of the work, as it were:

i feel like they all have merit, without being a perfect likeness. and i welcome all feedback, critique and suggestions! as i said i'll be back later with some observations on others' work, and maybe more drawings if others join in...if not, maybe i'll try an oil sketch from one or more of the three...or even myself

My Blog
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2014, 05:55 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
love the texture you got on my hat, dave - i don't know if that was technique or the type of paper
Hi Adam, the paper is what we in the UK call cartridge paper. Originally used for making ammunition now a generic term for any good quality drawing paper, this paper was a smooth white with just a little texture and not much tooth. The soft pencil I used picked out that texture.
Of your three drawings the one of Harry is the best, on the other two you have stylised the features, the one of Harry is a very good drawing

Dave
— Allen Ginsberg