WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#151   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2013, 03:22 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada
Re: PAINT-A-LONG anyone interested in joining us?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terranova
Thanks!
Yes, I have a few of them here; they're quite cheap. But I am even cheap with my paper

I have to change this and just begin to use my canvasses and boards

one question: do you gesso them always?

Thanks for your help,
Gaby

I have a few of the canvas boards that I have painted over several times now, as I move forward and realize that what I had done before is really not worth saving. I just gesso over and in a couple of cases have given a light sand to spots where the paint underneath made ridges and bumps I didn't need.

I don't gesso a fresh board or canvas before painting. But others more experienced may do so.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #152   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2013, 04:20 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Germany

Judy: yes, here they are also primed. Thanks for the help
Colin: that's a good tip to gesso over boards, in order to re-use them, thanks for that!
As far as I have read, it may depend on what you are painting. If I understood it correctly, it is advisable to gesso the canvas several times (and to sand it), when you want to have a very smooth surface for a smooth look of the painting.

I've just decided to try it again on a canvas board.

Gaby
  #153   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:11 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Hi Gaby - let me say first that I agree with all the comments about your painting!
This is a very creditable piece and you should be pleased - it has a lovely rhythm to the water echoed by the fence and your colouring and blending throughout are good too. Excellent water!
I'll make only one crit about it - and it's a small one but I hope will help in future compositions ....

The central dune tends to be isolated and needs to be made 'part' of the rest so I suggest you (in future!) would remove parts to make it 'flow' into the sand ... and also break and curve the grasses, a bit like this ...

and keep the horizon level!

A good rule of thumb with any composition is to invite the eye in from various points around the margins and take it in towards the central area - and the focal point - allowing it to linger and admire along the way
Much as you would invite visitors into a garden and let them discover lovely parts!

Supports - With acrylics you can paint on anything! ... and many of us enjoy using paper - I do! I also use canvas but one of my favourite surfaces is mountboard/mattboard and I use the centres left after cutting a mount for framing a work on paper - I gesso it, though it's OK to use the first layer or two of paint to perform the same purpose (seal it). It's a firmer support than paper and lovely and smooth. Framers will often have off-cuts they can't use and may give them to you .... worth asking! It's also kinder on the brushes than canvas!
(If it starts to bend when the first layers are on, wet the back and it will flatten)

Many people on the forum paint on whatever card they can find - cereal packets and packaging included! So use whatever you can find for practice work - you don't need to spend on canvas unless you want to! Many professionals use paper!!!

A good tip, if you want to keep the paper flat and avoid buckling is to soak and stretch it first - as the watercolourists do (with weights of 140lbs and under). I follow a good tip I read from a professional who never stretches her paper - she uses a piece of acrylic (my piece is from a big box of chocs or something and about 16x12" - (40x30cm) .. wet the paper on both sides, place on the acrylic and it will stay wet while working - no need for taping it down

I hope these points help but if you have questions, ask and we'll help where we can

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #154   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2013, 05:48 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Germany

Oh my thanks so much Maureen for all these helpful tips!
You had so much work with that!
Yes, you are completely right with the dune, of course. I somehow lost what I wanted to do originally Will change that.

Hm, I have an acrylic board here, so I will also try that hint. And I will try out different surfaces. Although I also have to use my canvasses. It brings nothing, if I don't use the items I bought for my hobby
I am also painting with watercolors. At the moment I am experiencing, how different paintings look on different watercolor papers and am learning, that you have to change the painting techniques a bit due to another support. I assume, that this is also the case if you paint with acrylics - whether to paint on paper - cardboard or canvas.

I don't like my water. I wanted to show the sky's colors also in the water and made too much orange/yellow into it. Later I did not want to lay more paint over the distant part of the water, so I have this orange part...

I am really happy that there are parts in my painting, some of you like. I did not reckon with this at all... and you can also be honest

First, I did not want to publish this: here are so many really good artists and I think some of you are tired to see all those beginners paintings.
But for me, it is a good chance to get your tips for improvement.
Of course there are so many helpful / educational threads here - and I read really a lot of them. But just reading is not enough, one also has to start and practice. So here is my practice.
And for me it is a good opportunity to say: hey, you want to show something better next time. So sit down and improve

Thanks again to all of you! Your help is really appreciated

Gaby

Edit: resp. the horizon line: I tried to use masking tape, but it destroyed a a bit of the paper when taking it away. As I thought this is only a practice sheet and not the final one, I did not care enough about it here in this one. Will avoid that in future.
  #155   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-13-2013, 11:30 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Hi Gaby, I think you did a wonderful job of it. I love seeing people learning to paint, I find it inspiring when people try new things. I'm not being sappy, I really do like it.
I like your waves, I like the solidity of the posts too with the quick painterly strokes of the oats. That's a nice juxtaposition of styles.
Maureen gave you some good advice on the dune too. I lose what I'm doing all the time too. After I had a skull fracture though I started doing presketches and writing myself notes as my short term memory was shot for awhile (it's fine now, I think, what was I saying?? ).. I still do it because I am constantly getting sidetracked.
If I have to paint a really straight line I have a ruler from the dollar store that I don't mind getting paint on. With seas though, it doesn't matter as much if it's a bit fuzzy at the back, it usually is in real life anyway!
  #156   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2013, 01:58 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Germany

Good morning Virginia and thanks a lot for your kind words and your hints!

Yes, taking notes and making sketches is a good advice. I wish, I had done that here; but will make a new version anyways
And I will try a ruler for my horizon! That's a good tip.

Thanks again. It is encouraging to read, that there are at least 1 or 2 things, which are not too bad

Gaby
  #157   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2013, 09:12 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

More than one or two things Gaby! I think your work is much better than you give yourself credit for.
One of the reasons why Virginia is a guide and I am a moderator is because we like to help people and that includes newcomers and new artists/learners most definitely!
Our 'pay', if you like, is seeing improvements - and for me, I love it when people appreciate the help on offer and strive to make their work better.

Re. that horizon? - way back in the thread I mentioned how the masking tape didn't work well for me either - so I too adjusted it with a ruler - bevelled edge face down to the canvas ........ we all pick up little tricks along the way and when one doesn't work, try another

Virginia's habit of making a small drawing and writing notes prior to painting is excellent practice - I too have done that most of my life .... I was initially 'taught' to make a thumbnail sketch - it's just planning so you know what goes where and how the tones will balance ...... not in great detail and only a couple of inches big. I also often add notes as I paint - if I think of something and might forget it! Brain cells die at an alarming rate as we get older!!!!!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #158   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2013, 04:29 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Germany

Thanks Maureen, your (yours and Virginias) help is much appreciated.

I read that you the masking tape did not work in your painting initially and I should have taken more care about my horizon line (to improve that later on). Will do that in my second version

I have a sketchbook here and sketch a bit when I see something I want to paint any time in future or just to doodle around. And I also make notes ref. colors etc. It's a good advice to do that prior to a painting.

I usually try to make a few practice exercises on scrap paper. Only parts of a painting I want to do. But that does not show, how the single parts harmonize together...

Wishing all of you a wonderful evening
Gaby
  #159   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-14-2013, 07:00 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Bismarck ND

Hails from United States

Coming back in to say a Huge Thank You for all the kind comments on my paint a long version!!

And Gaby, you sure have a lot of great advice! You will learn so much here. I would never being doing what I do without the wonderful talent, friends, and masters here to help and guide us through the process. You have a wonderful painting--keep at it!
  #160   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2013, 02:38 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Germany

Thanks a lot for your encouraging words, Ruthie
For keeping up, such words and those by all the others here, really help. I am glad now, that I published the photo.
Saw your website and love your paintings!

Have a nice Friday,
Gaby
  #161   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2013, 05:51 PM
Omaha, NE

Hails from United States

Will our next paint-along project be in this thread or will there be a new one to watch for? It's such a great learning experience, I hope we can continue with it.
“If you’re not prepared to be wrong you’ll never come up with something original.” Sir Ken Robinson’s TED talk.
  #162   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2013, 06:04 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

There'll be a new one Judy - Virginia will be starting one .. soon I hope

**My SAA website**
  #163   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2013, 06:05 PM
Victoria, Vancouver Island

Hails from Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Violetta
Will our next paint-along project be in this thread or will there be a new one to watch for? It's such a great learning experience, I hope we can continue with it.

I agree with Judy 100%.

Moderator Acrylics Forum~~~Reference Image Library
  #164   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2013, 05:04 PM
Omaha, NE

Hails from United States

Thanks, Maureen. I guess I'll have to "cool my jets" for a while and watch for the new thread and project.
“If you’re not prepared to be wrong you’ll never come up with something original.” Sir Ken Robinson’s TED talk.
  #165   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-18-2013, 07:13 PM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

waiting here as well...
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy