WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#46   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2013, 12:56 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Re: P.A.L. (Paint-a-Long): Edges, lost and found, hard and soft....

meggs, great start... look out for the apple hidden behind the pot. The top apple is resting on it
I was unhappy with the loose highlights on a more controlled painting. So I reworked it. Here is where I am, I am much happier with it. Let me know your thoughts. Sorry for the slight glare.
  #47   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2013, 01:34 AM
120kms south of Brisbane, Australia

Hails from Australia

Bhavani, Yep like the rework... Reckon you nailed it. Thanks for the heads up on the hidden apple, never saw it. Going blind as well as dumb.

I dont know why but my first impression of reference photo was a rock wall behind fruit an bowl.. Cant shake it so Im going with it.
Never know with MUM, she collects rocks from everywhere, so why not photo's.. They build houses underground in "Coober Pedy" South Australia... Ya never know.....

Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. (Thomas Merton)
C&C Most Welcome and Desired.
  #48   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2013, 07:26 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Well hello Meryl glad you found your way with so much else going on!
Don't worry about the lost apple, we all missed it first time round I think! - but I think you should indicate it, as Bhavani says, the top apple needs it!
I think the photographer had this grouping on a marble base and b/g - hence your rock!

Sandra - I think that's better, and you still kept your style! I'd really like to watch you work to see how you get this texture throughout!

I'm really chuffed at the way you're all tackling this exercise - and getting very good results too.

Bhavani - this has turned out really well - can't believe how controlled you've been! - I mean that in the nicest way!
What you learn here can so easily be transferred to all your paintings, free-spirited or controlled!
You were right to alter those highlights - the difference is quite amazing ........ it's a really good piece of work so I hope you're happy with it too.

Ruthie - look forward to you joining in - let others see some of your lovely painting style!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #49   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2013, 08:31 AM
Texas

Hails from United States

I was anxious for this new PAL to start. I plan to start mine this morning. Thank you so much for all the info Maureen. You have gone above and beyond any expectations I had.
I will try to comment now.
Susan....You dove right in and produced a very nice painting! Your apples turned out really well!
Sandra....Glad to see you're doing this with us. Your paintings always show so much energy and life! Every update shows much improvement.
Maureen....Your painting is beautiful. I must admit that when I saw your first post, I was quite taken with that looseness. It would have been good just like that. But I love your finish!
Bhavani....Love your painting as well. I agree, the final tweak on the highlights was just right!
Meryl....Looking forward to your updates. Your start doesn't look bad to me.

Guess I'll get started
  #50   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2013, 11:08 AM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

Thank you, Maureen and everyone for your kind comments and encouragement.

Maureen, my piece is only 3 x 6 inch big and that's probably why it's so choppy in texture. I don't have the luxury to blend much with big juicy strokes.
  #51   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2013, 11:13 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Hi Cindy - looking forward to your ptg!
Sandra - that is small! - I'm even more impressed!

I'm thinking of trying this as a 3" miniature - might just give it a go!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #52   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2013, 11:30 AM

Hails from Australia

Hiya All

Yep Mum I turn up just like a bad penny....and really glad to hear Im not quite losing it altogether with the "Marble" background.

I saw your mention in PP on this thread and really glad I stopped in.. Its great to see how others start out with a new project on blank canvas. My efforts as you know are of the hit and miss variety. The work here is awesome.
Looking forward to being edumacated

Art enables us to find ourselves and lose ourselves at the same time. (Thomas Merton)
  #53   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2013, 11:38 AM
Texas

Hails from United States

If the phone would stop ringing maybe I can get more done on this. Started my underpainting with hake brush, burnt sienna, burnt umber on 11x14 canvas panel. Oh yeah, charcoal sketch. Crummy photo,Attachment 797252
Attached Images

#54   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2013, 12:09 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

I like this already Cindy!

Meryl - y'know you're always welcome where I am

**My SAA website**
  #55   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2013, 03:36 PM
Texas

Hails from United States

I've never painted fruit before. Having trouble with the whole thing. Lots more work to be done on it. It looks bad but showing anyway.Attachment 797258
Attached Images

#56   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2013, 04:12 PM

Hey Cindy, that is coming along really nice. It definitely does not look bad. Your apples are looking solid. You will see them emerge once you put in the shadows and lose those edges.
Thanks everyone for the nice comments on mine. This is my first time painting fruit as well. Mum, I am very pleased with the result. This is the most realistic painting I have done. And as you mention, I have come to realize that the concepts learned while doing these controlled paintings can be applied to all other styles. I hope to take these concepts to my landscape paintings next.
  #57   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-13-2013, 05:19 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Listen to Bhavani Cindy - this is coming along really well - and I wouldn't say that if not true!
Both pot and apples are already looking solid - just need increase the tones each way (light and dark) and yes, areas will get lost, look mysterious, lack definition but will make other areas stand out more.
Well done!

**My SAA website**
  #58   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2013, 08:42 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Germany

I am not sure whether I can participate in this one, but I wanted to thank you Maureen for writing the first post: it is so interesting and educational! Edges are so important.

And thanks to all of the others for sharing their works: it's also educational to see the several interpretations!

Gaby
  #59   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2013, 09:20 AM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Sorry to 'disappear' for a bit...am on a trip to my daughters...but have been peeking in.

Thanks, Bhavani, Colin, Maureen, Cindy

Sandra...great updates!

Bhavani...really have enjoyed watching your stages!

Maureen...I played with the pot color on the pc, and spent some time looking at other renditions of still life paintings with apples. Found that those who used the complementary greens with the red apples did not seem to accomplish a satisfactory "pop" and that the masters seemed to stick to browns and golds with theirs...so I figured that I'd used their knowledge to my advantage... I have so much to learn, but the joys of the pc is that it does not ALL have to be trial and error! (I did use it on my harpist, and changed the curtain behind her head from blue to green and was so pleased with how it brought out her red/orange hair.) Each painting is/can be a learning experience for sure! I think on the handle, I will need to work on it a bit, as on an 18x24 it is more noticed than on a smaller piece. That will be for when I am back home, as I decided NOT to bring any big canvases with me.

Yours turned out wonderful!!
And I love your marbled table! and handle!

Meggs...she does teach us a lot!! So great that she shares her knowledge! Can't wait to see more of yours...and I like the 'rock wall'!

Cindy, you are off to a great start!
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #60   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-14-2013, 09:24 AM

Hails from Australia

Hi All, I didnt get much of a chance to paint today, only about 3/4 hour. I forgot to post my recipe with my first post, so here goes. Im using an A4 canvas pad, with a angled shader and raked angle shader.
Colours used on background and in the painting are, Van Dyke Brown, Raw Umber, Raw Sienna, a mix of Unbleached Titanium, Provincial Beige and Yellow Ochre.

For the Apples I used a base glaze mix of Unbleached Titanium, Yellow light and Light green. I followed this with Deep Yellow and then Indian Yellow. Red tones are Red Oxide applied with the raked angle.

I cant sketch to save my life, so I have developed techniques that may well be common, I have no way of knowing as I know no Artists in my locality.
For backgrounds I like to paint my canvas with water. Then adding colour randomly with the paint a water colour consistency. I play with the paint till I get an effect I like... then use a Goat Hair brush to lightly blend.

I develop my focal points or comp freehand with a brush using glazes, virtually doing an underpainting in the colours chosen for the piece and mixing as I go..
I admit to being pretty fly by the seat of my pants, but this seems to work most times for me.

Today I spent the time on the apples. Wasnt happy with the foreground apple, so am reworking this. I hope to finish this tomorrow, employment time allowing.
Photo is not the best as taken at night.. tend to change colours a bit.