WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics > The Information Kiosk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2013, 10:06 PM
Lord of the Arts
Someplace you wouldn't want to be

Hails from Puerto Rico
Re: P.A.L. (Paint-a-Long): Edges, lost and found, hard and soft....

Great! I always wanted to try this reference. Will probably join next week. I already have a canvas which I toned red
My Facebook page
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-10-2013, 11:22 PM
Administrator
Western Illinois

Hails from United States

Susan, you are so funny! Love the energy of the first, wow!! Your second is shaping up beautifully.

Gakinme, that looks really good on my screen. I like how you do your under painting.

Maureen, what a great way to start a PAL (and that one does look like Snoopy!). I've also had this one in my favourites for awhile, so I'm definitely in too!
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2013, 01:28 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Susan, love your small version. Love its looseness. So much energy. Great start on the larger one. I laughed when I read your comment on onions
Sandra, It is looking great!

Mum, I managed to do some homework. I have marked 3 kinds of edges in this picture.
RED - Soft, lost edge
YELLOW - soft, subtle, lost
BLUE - hard, found

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2013, 08:27 AM
North East England.

Hails from England

Sandra - good to see you here! Hope you can stay a while longer!
I think your 'lost' apple/jar are easily remedied!
I see you've squashed them down a bit so it seems the apple group has no support but if you darken that negative space in the middle, that might do the trick there!
Those apples are looking very believable

B. - thank you for doing the homework ..... the only one I'd quibble with is the bottom blue, right - I think that's a much softer contrast ... but what's an edge between friends eh?

Michelle - next week is fine, glad you can join us

Virginia - will you try a red b/g this time perhaps?

Susan - I agree - apples are deceptively ...... difficult!
You'll do fine though - I have faith in you The proportions are very good - just make sure that apple near the pot is close enough to gain some support from the pot. I think this will be seriously good!

Glad some of you comment on the choice of ref and like it - it's been one on my list for some time too.
I painted that JEFranz one of pots and apples in a WDE a few weeks ago - but as a digi on the tablet ..... it was a very popular ref. that week.

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**Information Kiosk~Acrylics**
**Reference Image Library**
**My SAA website**
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2013, 10:24 AM
A WC! Legend
In Her Own Mind & a few people in MS

Hails from United States

Virginia...thanks! Some is funny, but the time I have had with the apples less so...sigh!

Thanks, Bhavani! Some still look more like onions than apples (to me anyway) but getting closeer...

Maureen...not totally sure how to 'move' the apple or the pot...I did notice that I got a bit too much space there...tho' it is balancing on the bottom apple hidden in between. For now I lightened that one a bit, and it seems to help? This is so out of my comfort zone...but that is good! And I am please so far with how it is going.

Here's where I was last night...grabbed a photo first thing...now some coffee and paint...

The apples have been over-painted a couple times...so I pretty much lost any of the underpainting. Ended up painting them in lightt yellow naples and a touch of cad yellow...then used yellow ochre and raw sienna where there were shadows...added some red as a blush...hated it...switched to light red oxide and cad red med....the cad red light was just too light. Tried mixing a touch of ochre in with the red, still not sure if I like it. Used hookers green to work in some shadows, mixing it with the red. One lesson for me...wet on wet does not work with apples FOR ME...as I tried to mix the reds and yellows to get that dappled look. Kind of reminded me of the tulips.... not successful. So I slowed things down, and at least they almost look like apples.

I tried the actual bg and table, and wiped it off...deciding that I really like the way the dark bg felt. Added some more red to it, and may add even more as I go. Not sure on the table either...but for now it's just wood, not marble...
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

~Jean-Baptiste-Siméon Chardin
Susan's Soul________ Blog_______ Yessy
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2013, 12:12 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Susan - when I started mine I got a closer look at that central area and found the back apple making the support - so you lightening that apple just a tad has helped a lot - don't you think?
There's a tiny touch of lighter back there on top of that apple and its stalk.
Those apples are really looking like fruit now

Started mine this afternoon - so here's where I am after about 1.5hours ... went quickly like Susan's first try
It's about 8x10" on mountboard and I did a cad. red base first.
Don't usually use black, but got it out for making the darks for this underpainting - lovely! Had fun!
Used a 1" and then a1/2" brush to make the shapes roughly - tried to keep the negative shapes right (and found that back apple ).
Being lazy, I was using what was on the palette to make the lights - duh! Lemon yellow was not a good choice - but I stuck with it and actually quite like the results so far!
The highlights will be lighter in the final stage.
I think I've got lost/found, hard/soft edges there and a couple of subtle medium ones

Now for the refining!

All comments and suggestions welcomed!

Forum projects: Plant Parade projects in Florals/Botanicals, Weekend Drawing Events in the All Media Arts Events forum. Different Strokes in the Acrylics Forum.
**My SAA website**
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2013, 12:26 PM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

You are off to a great start Susan. Your apples are looking like apples. Your preliminary painting is great too. I know they are good to do but I am so impatient, I always just want to get to the painting. But it's something I should try.

Good work there Sandra.

Sorry that I'm not taking part this time. It's just that I have so many things I want to paint, I want to get to them. However, I am planning a still life so in a way I will be joining you, just with a different reference. Do you want me to post it here, or would you rather keep this thread for the same reference?

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2013, 12:30 PM
WC! Guide
Manitoba, Canada

Hails from Canada

Between looking and thinking and being distracted by my son, you posted before me Maureen. I like that lemon yellow, such a nice glow.

mkmcreations.com *** My Acrylic Gallery
Every painting is a new adventure.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2013, 02:29 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint

Susan.. they are looking like apples now! Nice update!
Maureen - Your pot looks solid! especially like that hook...
Agree with you on the blue edge in the right bottom corner. The minute I put it in I had a doubt .
I should go do the underpainting now!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2013, 03:01 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Sandra - Hi there. Both are looking good!

Susan - Wow, love those apples! Who said they couldn't paint apples? They're looking so yummy and delicious.

Maureen - Oh gosh, this is what a WIP should look like and mine doesn't! Looking great.

Well here's my beginning. Sorry I'm a very slow painter and spend more time looking at the darn thing than painting. It's 9in x 12in on watercolour paper.

SO...I decided to try an undercolor and painted the whole thing with Cad Red,and Clear Painting Medium And just to make sure it wouldn't lift (as I thought I might try some wet'n'wet over it,) I painted over it when it was dry with Binder Medium.
THEN,when the whole thing was dry I've drawn my apple composition with charcoal.....THEN...because I didn't want the charcoal to blur into my wet paint when I began the actual painting...I sprayed it all with Fixative ..........THEN (when I was looking smugly at it ) I realised that I had drawn in ALL the edges and my brain had found all those "lost edges" and very carefully drawn them all in,!
So now instead of doing lovely transparent glazes as I paint, I can't, because I have "found edges" that are there for an eternity, so I'll have to make sure I cover them up.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2013, 03:23 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Maureen...love the looseness!! Wow!

Thanks Michelle, Bhavani, and Viv!

Michelle...I always rush right in...and the fact that I totally lost the underpainting, I question, at least with MY style of painting, whether it is worth it? Time will tell...

Viv...I will laugh with you, not at you, as it is something I did when drawing as well...in fact I even drew in the bottome of the top apple...sigh! What seems worse to me, is somehow having ended up with a couple brush strokes that are going the 'wrong' way, and in spots that show... I have tried and tried to paint thickly on top of them , hoping to lose them...but so far no luck! Am afraid if I use sandpaper, I won't be able to match the colors right...used my fingernail and got SOME of the ridge, but did not want to end up with a trench either...

Somehow most of the loosness is gone in mine...but I am rather happy with the 'light'. So unsure of the pot...don't like the colors I've made it...don't care much for the 'real color either... so trying to figure out if using the green complimentary to all that red would work in this, or whether I should just stay with variations of red in the whole thing?

I added more red (cad) to the right side of the bg...just some streaks, which I really liked until it ate them...Some of the darks I added to the apples (continued using the green and reds to darken, tho' added a touch of burnt sienna as well) seem to have gotten sucked into the canvas, leaving the back bottom apple with a couple of odd spots...may just have to call them bruises...lol

Here's the two updates since this morning...

Well, I guess I will just have to figure out that pot...and decide what else I think it needs.
"Who said one paints with colors? One employs colors, but one paints with feeling."

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2013, 04:40 PM
North East England.

Hails from England

Vivien - Had to laugh - I draw in the whole shapes too, but quite deliberately because I think we get better shapes that way ... however, I knew I'd be losing parts in the painting!
I like your meticulous prep too - even tho' I understand you're determined to 'win' against the Int.actives!

Susan - those apples are really very good! I like the colour of the second pot too.
Remember, we each paint in our own way, so don't worry if you're fast or slow, do an underpainting or not.
I've got my next stage scanned but I've lost some of the looseness unfortunately.
Decided to use some Naples yellow to cover some errors - lost my transparency - but will try to get that back with glazing later.

Stage 2 ~

Will be back tomorrow - closing down for the night ...

**My SAA website**
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2013, 07:14 PM
The bottom of the South Island in Southland, New Zealand

Hails from New Zealand

Susan and Maureen - great job and both your paintings are progressing beautifully!

And then we come to mine.
It's looking really horrific so anyone that doesn't want to be scarred for life, should look away now!

I decided I'd paint a blue/black baground...why I don't know, but it seemed a good idea at the time.
Then I went crazy with it and thought I'd brush in some of the colour into the shadow area and the resulting mess appeared.
I am now going to retire quietly into a corner and not emerge until I have something that's worth posting.

Moderator; Animals & Wildlife Forum Floral & Botanical Forum Watermedia Forum
My Blog; Art By Vivien
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2013, 08:11 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from United States

Maureen...still LOVE yours!! Your apples are so 'perfect'... I think I will have to title mine "I Get the Big One"... I know I could trim the large one down, but I am pleased enough with the rest, that I'm not gonna try!

Viv...oh ...I wish I could say I never did anything like that...but oh do I remember some good ones. this is what I do when that happens... It does not look irreparable to me... thank God it's acrylics and not oils!

I have had a time with the apples... one seems to be growing, even tho' I have not touched the outside lines of any, except the front one, since yesterday, and one that just keeps changing color on it's own...

At the moment, I am not sure what else I should do to it...if anything...I painted the pot renaissance gold...not that it looks it in the photo, and used mars black to tone it down and shadow it. I decided (from some research and play on the pc) that a green pot would not benefit the painting, but might take away from the apples...so rather than stay with the brownish red, I went gold. I painted lighter over the browns so some of that stayed in.

I got bold and darkened my darks as far as my braveness would take me...and tried to lose some of my edges, or at least soften them. You'll have to tell me if I succeeded with what we were going for.

Not happy with the hook thingy...love yours Maureen...so I may try to 'fix' it....overall I am not unhappy tho'.

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-11-2013, 08:36 PM
Resting in Peace
US

Hails from United States

So many neat ways to render this. I'm enjoying watching how everyone is doing it.

Thank you, Maureen, for the pointers.

Amended the piece to make the jar and apple more distinct.