WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2003, 12:41 AM
A WC! Legend
Mahone Bay, NS

Hails from Canada
Comment on final entry by: lisilk

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=22563

you've made her more gorgeous ..
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2003, 12:41 AM
A WC! Legend
Mahone Bay, NS

Hails from Canada
Comment on final entry by: Ruth

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=22545

How in heck did you get done so fast .. this is great.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2003, 12:43 AM
A WC! Legend
Mahone Bay, NS

Hails from Canada
Comment on final entry by: BevL

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/P...entry_id=22561

Bev .. it's looking good don't over do it .. work on other things when you get stuck and then come back to the problem area and see it in a new light ..
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2003, 01:38 AM
A WC! Legend
Aotearoa NZ

Comment on final entry by: lisilk

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=22563

Oh so beautiful ..............and beautifully painted.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2003, 01:45 AM
A WC! Legend
Aotearoa NZ

Comment on final entry by: BevL

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=22561

so glad to have 'your' girl here Bev She's looking great too.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2003, 01:49 AM
A WC! Legend
Aotearoa NZ

Pastelist, no worries Wish I DID paint like Ruth!

Tina, I see very fair eyebrows. In fact, if I didn't pencil mine or dye them mine would look non-existant too, they are so fair.

I wonder if the turban was a fashion of the day? One of my books suggests that she might have been Vermeer's daughter.

I now want to read the novel again ..............
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2003, 08:52 AM
A WC! Legend
Montana

Hails from United States
Oh.... way cool being able to compare all these gals & people's interpetations!! Myself I will go for that rather than an exact likeness.

~Be COURAGEOUS, It's one of the few places left still uncrowded~

~Life is not measured by it's length BUT by it's depth~
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2003, 09:46 AM
Veteran Member
Canada

Hails from Canada
If anyone would like to see one of the better reproductions of this painting it is here

The eyebrows - it's possible that there may have been more information in the eyebrows long ago where now time has made some touches of transparent paint fade to nearly nothing. Though I would think that Vermeer made a conscious decision to underplay the structure of eyebrow hair on such a youthful and innocent face.

Tina, your found meaning is correct - interpretation is all about what we individually bring to a work of art.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2003, 10:31 AM
Lord of the Arts
Helsingborg, Sweden

Hails from Sweden
It can be mentioned as well that the background originally had a coat of a greenish glaze, probably a mixture of Indigo and lead-yellow. This has vanished over the years.

//Matt
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-01-2003, 11:13 PM
japan

Hails from Japan
Thumbs up Comment on final entry by: BevL

Regarding this entry --> http://www.wetcanvas.com//Community/...entry_id=22591

bev..hi!..i like the feeling the colors give...nice choice!...i can feel a part of you touching me in this one....her expression is an interesting one through all the takes on this painting..peace tokyojef
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2003, 01:07 AM
Enthusiast

Hails from Canada
Thanks for your comments, tokyojef. I have reworked the face, which I posted to my wip thread down the board. This has been a real challenge for me, and a very interesting one at that.

Bev
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2003, 03:27 AM
A WC! Legend
Wandering the Wonderland

Hails from United States
Thank you Lulu and Wayne for your generous comments on my progress entry.

Even though I ripped the canvas and had put it aside, this project has inspired me to finish it as best as I can. I will go back and make the corrections I need. It was my first and only attempt at portrait painting.

Vermeer has always been one of my favorite painters even though I rarely ( 3 times in last 10 years ) use oils. I have had the privledge of seeing a handful of his works in person. What is so striking is how tiny they are to contain such a mastery of light and detail.

Thanks for looking and commenting.

Li

She never seemed shattered; to me, she was a breathtaking mosaic of the battles she had won. - Matt Baker
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2003, 05:59 PM
Enthusiast

Could it have been the fashion to remove eyebrows at that time?? I've seen other Dutch paintings where the women have no eyebrows.

I think the artist (Her father?) perhaps called her and she looked over her shoulder at him. Which one of us girls hasn't looked at her dad sweetly like that??

n
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2003, 08:42 PM
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands
Hello from The Netherlands,

"The Girl With the Pearl Earing" resides here, in The Hague ( Den Haag). It's as beautiful as you can imagine!

Regarding Who the girl might be?:

There has been speculation that she might be Vermeer's daughter Maria, but unfortunately, Maria would have been much older than the girl in the painting at the time the portrait was done. So, most likely she was just a model and not a relation.

Regarding the Headress ( aka turban):

Like Rembrandt ( whose collection of exotic things was enormous, by the way) and many of the master painters of the time, Vermeer was interested in exotic fabrics/items from various lands (Remember that during this period in history, The Netherlands was the giant among sea-going traders.) Items of fine, fancy and interesting textures were bought by the master painters to use as props and costumes. Turkish "delights" were of particular interest and all the rage, such as the tulip bulb ( Turkey is where they are originally from), so much so that people would spend fortunes to own a single tulip bulb. Hince, the beautiful headress in the painting was most likely some sort of fine fabric from Turkey ( this would also explain why it's wrapped like a turban).

Regarding the High Forehead:

During the previous centuries (14th to 16th) wealthy/noble women of France and Northern Europe used to shave their hairlines back to create more forehead, this was considered beautiful and was the fashion of the time. It's possible, judging from other portraits of women from the 1600's, that forehead shaving was still in fashion, however I am not 100% sure that it was still done in the 17th century.

Reagarding the Lack of Eyebrows:

Vermeer himself was said to be a 'fair strawberry blond red-head', so if the portrait was of one of his girls, then it's possible that she had very fine eyebrows. I can tell you personally that I am married to a Dutchman who has little to NO eyebrows. My husband is not a redhead, but from the first day I met him, I've been fascinated with his lack of eyebrows... and he IS healthy.....<smile>

If you want to read more about Vermeer online, go to google. com and check out all the sites about him... there are plenty.

If you're ever in The Netherlands, you can enjoy many of his paintings in The Rijksmuseum ( Amsterdam ) or in Mauritshuis (The Hague) which is where 'the girl' is.

BTW:
Good work all !

pinkrybns
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-02-2003, 10:25 PM
A Local Legend
Dark Side of the Moon

Hails from United States
Thanks for that insight pinkrybns!! Glad to see you here in the oils forum.

Just wanted to say wow at the portraits already. You guys are doing fantastic. lisilk...........great job girl!! Good to see you here in the oils forum doing something with us. Nice break from all those postcards, huh? LOL

Tina