WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from United Kingdom
Re: Practice from live model thread - 2011

Very impressive progress and an enjoyable thread to follow - well done for taking the high road and just getting down to the hard work of developing proficiency and in so doing developing a style that is your own.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Portra...d/138500326536
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 12:22 PM
Veteran Member

Sandra - thank you so much for your comment . I'm really happy you like them. I do not think that I have something to teach for anyone, except maybe keeping at it and never give up. A year back at this time of the year I thought I will never be able to work from live models in my small room, now I do. I also thought drawing was boring and I can just paint, now I know that was wrong and I now like to draw .... etc. . Most learning, especially when on your own is about keeping at it and never give up. And it indeed is a rollercoaster, some day one thinks "hey, that looks nice, now I can move on" ... the next day, complete disaster.

Brian - thank you very much for looking and commenting. Glad you like them !

John - thank you .. glasses are one of my favorite thing in portraits. No idea why, but I really like them.

Mariposa - glad you stopped by and thank you very much for your comment.

Peter - thank you very much. I'm glad you see progress. It makes me happy that you see something of a style in those. I hope I'm on the right direction for the next few years of learning. Just had a look at your blog

Yesterday I was painting at a friends place and painted this profile ... size abour 28x35cm on canvas panel ... working time about 2h45m:

Today's practice was starting out quite bad with the model being too late and having to leave too early (not her fault though) ... I still had 4 hours but somehow it did not work that well. The model is the same I was drawing before here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1042932

I started with a gesture painting, about 15x20 cm, about 50min:

The rest of the time (minus pauses) I spent on a 30x40 study ... it went quite bad and in the last quarter I thought "well, it's quite a mess anyway so why not try out some stuff" and then I tried to work thicker:

The painting is not really that reddish, no idea why my camera did, damn thing does what it wants it seems.

Not really too happy with the results, but I will probably from now on do more of these small gesture studies. They seem to train to make quick decisions without overworking.

C&C always welcome.

#33   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 03:26 PM
Enthusiast

You sure depict a lot of emotion with many of your models. The expressions are wonderful, and well done. ie, each line/stroke supports the others. I see few false notes in your work. These are solid, living people, and it comes across in every one. Some of them appear about to pounce off the paper!
These say you are gaining in confidence, and that you are painting SOMEWHERE ELSE proves it.
I am just so pleased for you.
Crafor
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 03:56 PM

This is such an inspiring thread! Such intensity -- wonderful! Looking forward to more.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 05:02 PM
A WC! Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Duston-- you are inspiring because your just digging in. Your so right at how we think we've gained and then disaster-- its a bumpy road is it not !

But your sure gaining ground I'd say so keep it up.

Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-06-2012, 08:37 PM
Lord of the Arts
Long Island

Hails from United States

Duston, these are looking very solid! Very nice brush strokes describing form. A big thing I've noticed doing the Bougeureau copies is the amount of hue/temperature shifts he uses to describe form.
Keep on keeping on, I'm digging it!

"Be sure to expose yourself to criticism:
A fine polish requires an abrasive."
-Marilyn vos Savant-
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 05:33 PM
Veteran Member

Crafor - thank you very so much. I have not seen much posts by you recently (but I might have missed some since I'm more on portraiture-forum now). Please continue your well going practice.

Maritok - Thank you. We seem to live not too far away (a little south of munich here ... not born here though, only for the job).

Carol - thank you so much. I think it is the main reason to encourage others that I post, like the progress I saw with other painters on WC when I was still a lurker inspired me to work harder. I'm glad you see progress.

John - thank you. Yes, these temperature things I really have problem with a lot. Sometimes I just cannot make out if it's warm or cool and the relationships between. And that in combination with the values ... tough stuff to get it as good as the masters. But I have no intention of giving up to learn that.

I had a model here today that was the 4th time here. For about 3 hours. I have not been drawing much in the last 3 weeks, so I thought it might be a good idea to do so.
I tried to draw really tight today, not sure if successful. The likeness is not too bad I hope, at least better than the ones I did before.
It is the same model I have been drawing+painting in the first post of this thread and in post #22. I know her face now pretty well. I really need some other ideas about light and posing though, I fear I might fall into mannerism if I don't. I found a shop where they sell really cheap stuff that might work well as different backdrops. I will try them out at the weekend. Painting books seem not to go too much into lighting. Maybe it might be a good idea to get a book on portrait photography, I think they are more into different kind of lighting ?

I also do not want to get stuck in a very tight style, so I need to be careful about that I guess. I right now more like the stuff Zhaoming Wu and Henry Yan do in drawing especially ( http://www.zhaomingwu.com/ http://www.henryyanart.com/drawings.php ). With the model here, I always am a little afraid of experimenting. So maybe do more self portraits to practice the expressive stuff might be a good idea, no fear of wasting money then.
___

Natural Charcoal and here and there some pressed charcoal, on very smooth paper, slightly under life size, working time about 2h45 minutes.

Close up (loads slow): http://dustonpaper.smugmug.com/Art/P...K5GWh&lb=1&s=O

Not too happy with the values on the light side (I think I might need some more variation there. Also a bit more reflected light on the shadow side might be good, now that I see the photo I think the edge from the jaw in the shadow might be a bit too sharp.

But compared to the one in the first post from about a month back I hope there is some progress ... ... here they are compared (I took more time for today's drawing though):

Tomorrow the same model will be hare for some time, I hope I will have an idea then about another type of setup of my light and pose.

C&C always welcome.

#38   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-08-2012, 07:57 PM
A WC! Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Really good job on this charcoal.

Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 09:30 AM
Immortalized
Ct. usa

Hails from United States

hello
great thread/series .

the comparison pieces in post 37 show a similarity
yet the newer work seems more sensitive , refined ,
more variety of line and value .

do you use a kneaded/putty eraser and/or a tortillon with the charcoal ?

Ed :}
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 12:48 PM
A WC! Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Duston-- I am amzed at you-- and also so happy for you- You are growing so much and its partly because of all that you are doing.

I long also to get back to having a model come consistently and to paint from that. It is such a helpful process for growing.

i will be watching and encoureging you as you grow,

This last charcoal is just wow!!!!!!!!

#41   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 05:30 PM
Lord of the Arts
Long Island

Hails from United States

Duston, that last charcoal is beautifully done. It's great to watch your progression! I've never drawn or painted from a live model, one of these days...

-Marilyn vos Savant-
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 05:51 PM
Veteran Member

Ed - thank you very much. I am really glad you like the drawing. I do not use a Tortillon, for rubbing only my fingers and paper towels for larger areas. The kneaded eraser is one of my main moves in these drawings. I use it all the time. The paper is really really smooth, I like to push charcoal stuff around. But I usually run into problems at the end, not being able to pick out highlights as light as I want them. This I guess comes from overworking the paper and making wrong decisions at the start (like to rub stuff where it does not belong).

Carol - thank you really so much for your support. To have a model is really important for me now. I recently tried to work from a photo, I just cant right now. More like a mental thing, it lacks the whole experience of working with human beings, see their expressions and have them around ... it is more to me than just the drawing itself, it is a complete experience of interacting with human beings. But that's just me, I see nothing at all wrong with working from photos technically, it is good practice, too. I would be so happy if I reach a quality where people will sit for me for getting the painting/drawing in share of their time. But for now my quality is not consistent enough to do that, so I prefer models. Maybe in two years or so if I keep on the practice I might have the confidence to ask people to sit in share of the resulting picture. All day I see people and think like "oh, that would give a nice portrait". Many hobby photographers do this "TFP"-thing (time for picture), with having hobby models and give them the photos after the shooting. I guess that might work with paintings as well.

John - thank your very much. I already think you do a good job in your work. You really should try to work from model when you have the opportunity. I doubt there is a better way to learn. Once you tried it, it becomes an addiction .

_____

Today started with my lighting bulb breaking and not having a replacement. I improvised but got a very soft light, pushing me way out of the comfy zone I had in the last weeks with a very strong light giving sharp shadows. The result came out not very pleasant, which means I must use that kind of light from now on in my practice.

It was the same model as yesterday, pretty much the same size:

I'm not really that pleased with the result, in the middle I thought about starting over but the time was running so I decided to save what I can. I think the next time I do drawing I might try to do some quick drawings. But I always fell kind of pressed to "get something nice" of a session, which makes me hesitate to experiment with other techniques.

C&C always welcome.

Last edited by dustonpaper : 05-09-2012 at 05:54 PM.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:53 PM
A WC! Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Duston this is soooo good man !!

I totally understand you with the model thing.

An artist really needs to work from a model for a looong time to be able to work from a photo and pull it off well.

I was having the model come pretty regularily before I went off on that cruise and now it all about getting ready to pull out in the MH for the summer.

But I have my money stashmput away , and beleive me I have some models in the waiting. I cannot wait myself, its the best--- even thru the frustrastion times , it is so good for our growing as an artist we aspire to become.

And as you ---- I am ALWAYS and forver seeing people, that I already see the painting, but frustrated that I cannot just go up to them and say hey, would you model for me.

I have been know many times before to get a model this way-- but right now im shut down.

But Duston keep at it and its really making you into a great artist as to whom you want to become.

Best

#44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 07:59 PM
Lord of the Arts
Long Island

Hails from United States

Too bad your bulb blew, but I think you got a great drawing out of it anyway. Maybe it was good to take you out of your "comfort zone" for a bit. Nice darks, and I can see the reflected light in the shadows
I love that loose charcoal texture in the sweater. Beautiful.

-Marilyn vos Savant-
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-09-2012, 10:30 PM
Enthusiast

She's gorgeous.
Crafor