WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Portraiture
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2012, 05:28 PM
A WC! Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States
Re: Practice from live model thread - 2011

Duston, you look a little sad--- but you are really growing.

Getting the likness---- that takes a lot of doing it and seeing the proportions and nuances. Im working at it.

I saw recently an great artist-- Casey baugh-- get that dead on likeness. he professes to- not squint but rather look periferally and do sight measuring by eye. he sure has devloped his.

Working live will get you there in time and thats exactly what your doing.

Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 06:15 PM
Veteran Member

Thank you Carol ... I am glad you see progress. I read in your other thread about Casey's method. For now I try squinting (if I remember to do it) and it helps. But I guess over the years everyone figures stuff out a little different. I also heard somewhere that David Leffel advises against squinting, but I do not know why (I got it from a blog by someone who went with a workshop with David Leffel and wrote a little about it).

Here is todays drawing ... charcoal on paper, about 2 1/2 hours working time.

At the moment I'm quite OK with the progress myself. I am sure far from where I'd like to be and never really satisfied (which is a good thing I guess) ... but the recent works all were not something I would judge as complete catastrophic failure. I'm hopefully aware of the mistakes. But there always is something I like about the results and the recent few works at least resembled the model. I will keep at it !

C&C always welcome.

Last edited by dustonpaper : 04-27-2012 at 06:19 PM. Reason: typo corrected
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 07:24 PM
Enthusiast

Duston, this is wonderful. How many portraits have you done--what number is this? Fantastic progress. I'm so pleased for you-you have a lot to be proud of. Spending the money on live models has certainly paid off for you.
How long did this take you?
Are you ready to sketch at the local library--where people may be sitting reading for HOURS...?
Crafor
who wants to focus as you have done.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 09:49 PM
south coast Australia

Hails from Australia

I would consider this a successful portrait drawing. It has the very clear light path and is showing the reflected lights around the eye socket.
Progress indeed!

#20   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-27-2012, 10:30 PM
A WC! Legend
Arizona

Hails from United States

Dustin. This. Is. Very. Good.

Sometime's failure is the opposite to success~ but sometimes failure can be the pathway to success
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2012, 06:42 PM
Veteran Member

Crafor - thank you so much. Glad you like it. The charcoal you commented on was my 20th live drawing/painting session at my home ... but in some sessions I did 2 or 3 drawings ... in the majority only one work, oil or drawing. Plus a bunch of self portraits, like 15 or so. Yes, I'm so glad I chose to work from live model ... I gladly dont use the money for other recreational stuff like traveling to holiday and rather spend it for my practice. It actually is a brilliant idea to sketch at the library, nevr thought about is. Thank you a lot for that idea !

Bethany - I'm really glad you see progress. Thank you for the support.

Caraol - Thank you very very much. I'm glad you like it.

Here is the result from yesterday (oil, 40x50 cm, working time about 6 1/2 or 7 hours):

It is the same model I have been painting 2 times a few weeks back before:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1050992
and here:
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/show....php?t=1024582

And this one is from today, oil, 30x40cm, working time also like 6 1/2 or 7 hours:

A friend I share a model with occasionally helped me with spotting a few errors which made a big difference after I changed them.

C&C always welcome.

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-30-2012, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member

We have a holiday tomorrow and I had this day off, so I can practice. Actually I guess they celebrate tomorrow that you have to work or bottom off so that some rich guys can get even richer of what the little man produces, well, humans are funny. At least we get a day off.

Today's practice result ... 30x40cm:

Not really happy with it, I did not catch the likeness. It is the same model of the first post of this thread. I really have trouble doing a nice likeness with her. Even though she has trouble holding still, the fault must be mine. A portrait painter must be able to deal with moving models.

C&C always welcome.

#23   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 02:12 AM
Sydney

Hails from Australia

Some fantastic work here! I particularly like the charcoal in post 15. You have a unique style, very impressed.
Thanks for sharing
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 07:02 AM
Peoria, Illinois

Hails from United States

Great work! There is no substitute for the diligent study at the easel, and your thorough analysis of each one will add greatly to your understanding. Your charcoal work would benefit if you kept a closer range of value within the shadows.

www.KenTiessenArt.com
Comments or Critiques welcomed...always!
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 12:25 PM
Lord of the Arts
Long Island

Hails from United States

I'm really liking the flesh-tones in these last few oils.
Great job!

"Be sure to expose yourself to criticism:
A fine polish requires an abrasive."
-Marilyn vos Savant-
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-01-2012, 03:53 PM
Veteran Member

Darius - thank you very much, glad you like it. In the past days I tried to paint relatively tight. In the long run I mill try to lose up again. But I recognized that painting/drawing lose without having the ability to paint tight does not work so well for me.

Ken - indeed, practice is all. I am convinced that there is not much to what is called "talent". Painting is not like for example singing or basketball ... you do not need to be blessed with a nice voice or be 2 meters tall. All one needs is determination and practice and a few instructions, be it from real life teachers or books and videos. I'm convinced everybody who really wants to learn painting can do so. I will try to include your tip about values next time, thanks a lot.

John - thank you .... I find flesh tomes quite hard, especially those in the shadows which I'm not too happy yet. I guess that the main problem is not only the color, but also to judge values better. I must draw more to get that better and then introduce color. But the last days I just wanted to see how the oils come out after I did mainly drawings over the past weeks.

_______

Today's portrait is the last of this long weekend series. 5 days since Friday evening nothing but painting, cleaning tools, eating and sleeping. That's how I like it. Tomorrow dayjob again

30x40 cm. It is not finished, I knew before that I did not have the time I would need (I'm still very slow), so I concentrated on the face and left the rest. These are all practice studies, so I do not mind if parts are unfinished ... I do not touch them up after the model leaves, my visual memory is not yet developed enough to do that (I'm sure experienced painters can fix stuff from memory after the model left).
The model is of russian origin and has quite unique features, high cheekbones and a very short distance between nose tip and upper lip I think. Her eyebrows were tattooed it looked like razor sharp they were. I'm quite happy with the likeness ... the glasses were tough, but fun to paint ... they also allow a bit of cheating at the eye area

I need to get some more backdrops and think about other way to light the model to get more variation for the practice.

C&C always welcome.

#27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 01:56 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Australia

Yep I do think your singin here Sascha.. ..and I like the sound your humming ... your fab and maybe I should come learn at the house of Dust~n~Paper...

keep em coming eh!!.. Post 21 , the work in those is really pushing thought process I feel, good ~Sweet ~stuff ...
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 12:14 PM
Veteran Member
Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Goin great Duston
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 06:33 PM
Lord of the Arts
Long Island

Hails from United States

Really nice job on the glasses and eyes!

"Be sure to expose yourself to criticism:
A fine polish requires an abrasive."
-Marilyn vos Savant-
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-02-2012, 07:55 PM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from United States

These are great!