WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Oil Painting
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-23-2019, 09:24 PM
Chicago

Hails from United States
Re: coming back to wetcanvas

Speaking for myself, I feel like I’m at the very beginning of my journey. So other than something like “Nice job”, I don’t feel like I have much of a vocabulary for commenting on the work I see here. I still visit often for inspiration, and the occasional kick in the pants that I need.

I post here and there, and always appreciate the critique when I get it, but I do wish there was more discussion around the parts of my own work that could be improved. I know that not everyone wants that, so I think people are hesitant there.

My Sketch Blog
Instagram
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2020, 03:27 PM
Enthusiast

I think the fact that a number of people have replied shows there is still a lot of interest in the oil painting forum, and I am thankful for that.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2020, 08:58 PM
Lord of the Arts

jk, welcome back, I think I remember your name. Sometimes in the middle of the night I'll hit one of the pages numbered 18, or 25, or 93, and just start reading. Maybe that's where I saw it.

I don't post so much now either, either paintings or comments. I used to bounce around the boards, commenting where and when I could, even used the critting guidelines at times. Seems people whose work I commented on, whether it was just a few words or more of a crit, with both positives and MY opinion on how to improve the piece, the OP (with a few exceptions) never replied, to me, or to others.

As far as my posting my work, I haven't done any for a few months, but do hope to get back to it. Soon...

Last edited by ntl : 01-10-2020 at 09:01 PM.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2020, 11:50 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oregon

Hails from United States

The Critiques forum, or the WIPs section there, is a great place to post any kind of work if you want a mix of critiques and suggestions..
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/foru...?s=&forumid=28

I think the slowdown of most forums is due to Facebook, or other social media, with the hit & run posting style..ugghh
http://www.wetcanvas.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=528
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 03:27 AM
Enthusiast

jknecht - I looked at some of your works , and without commenting on any specifics, I would say that I appreciate the originality of your work. To me, that is very important. So I think you are on a good track, and if you keep painting often, you will develop your style.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 09:53 AM
WC! Guide
Magnolia, Arkansas

Hails from United States

I am speaking for myself. I have been a member of WC since 2012, and I learned a lot since then. I took all the good and specially the bad critics, and I answered to all of them without exceptions. That is the reason I learned a great deal on pastel, portraits, still life, etc. However, I have noticed lately, that when I give an honest critique to someone, I do not get an answer. I assume that the person who read my comments did not like them. I have also learned that if the critiques are honest, at least the recipient may answer as a courtesy. I don't expect all favorable comments because we are not perfect, and we are here to learn from each other.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-29-2020, 12:35 PM
Veteran Member

On paintings posted; Some are just not me so no comment. Some I look at and want to get all my painting equipment and throw it away because I can't come close to that level. And if no CC asked for I don't want to discourage anyone.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2020, 08:05 PM
Enthusiast

I think that almost all artists who come here have good intentions, and they have various ways of expressing them, so I have learned to have patience and just appreciate this site for the numerous artists that frequent it.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2020, 05:24 AM
Singapore

Hails from United States

The guidelines clearly states that, unless asked for, one should not give any criticism. Many people do not state that criticism is welcomed. So, I find that saying a dry "nice job" is not meaningful, unless I really like.

Perhaps, we need to have clear understanding as a community.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-17-2020, 04:02 PM
Veteran Member

Hey, welcome back!