WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The WetCanvas! Galleria > Open Critique Forum
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2018, 06:08 PM
Clarington, Ontario

Hails from Canada
Lagoa Do Canario Miradouro on San Miguel, in the A

MY IMAGE(S):

GENERAL INFORMATION:
Title: Lagoa Do Canario Miradouro on San Miguel, in the A
Year Created:
Medium: Acrylic
Surface: Canvas
Dimension: 24x40
Allow digital alterations?: Yes!

MY COMMENTS:
A request to paint a honeymoon location, Lagoa Do CanŠrio Miradouro on San Miguel, in the Azores!
This was a struggle with all the mountains and textures. But was a great lea<br>ing stride in distance (hope i did that justice) sometimes when you bite of more than you can chew you try harder - in this - it was the case.

MY QUESTIONS FOR THE GROUP:
Although i feel it is finished with the exception of maybe small adjustments - please feel free to comment. Be kind but please comment its the only way i lea<br>. Thanks
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2018, 08:46 PM
Veteran Member
Monterey Bay area, California

Re: Lagoa Do Canario Miradouro on San Miguel, in the A

Actually, that's very nice as-is. Has a sort of organic feel to it. The greens are controlled well. You captured distance via detail rather than obvious aerial perspective. Unless I miss my guess, the air is very clear there, thus it would take quite a bit of distance to haze-out the far ridge (which isn't really all that far away).

The scene could use some people in it, but I assume that you are unsure of putting anything requiring precise anatomy there. "Generic" figures would destroy the organic feel, so don't do that.

I often remark that a painting of this nature is best judged when displayed against the expected wall color. Looks like you have it in the photo. Harmonizes well.

There could be some more sense of light vs. shadow. The land appears to be under an overcast sky, but the sky is only partly cloudy.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-07-2018, 09:27 PM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Very nice work. My only suggestion would be to add some brighter, yellower, plants in the foreground, fade the railing as it recedes and make the shadow of the handrail in the foreground darker.
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2018, 05:39 AM
Dublin, Ireland

Hails from Ireland

Looks like you put a lot of effort into this and overall its not bad at all. Looks like you have a lot of patience to work on such a big canvas so kudos!

The biggest technical issue I see is the perspective. Some of the bodies of water are tilting either toward the viewer or away. Looks like you just "eyeballed" everything in there, based on a photo reference, rather than set up your perspective first? In relation to this, the camera choice you chose to tell the story here is rather odd too. It seems as if the viewer has been placed on a ladder above the road and off to the side right looking down. Curious place to put a viewer, and I think it would be stronger if we where at eye level looking across the vista.
Right now its what movie directors call an "impossible camera"shot. Just makes things feel odd with the perspective issues. I would make a suggestion that you sort out the perspective and decide on a camera first and explore the painting in thumbnail format before committing. I think it will help you immensely.

Other than that, the values are flat overall. There is no sense of atmospheric perspective, and even if there was none in your ref photo, I feel you could just go with artistic license and add some.
There is a harsh shadow on the ground indicting the top of the fence to the left, that implies a strong midday high sun to the left, but there are no other shadows or attention to showing form throughout the rest of the piece. These areas could do with some work and will help you evoke a better feeling from the piece.

Finally the focal point seems to be the road or that rectangular piece of gravel in the foreground of the image, and we are not really brought around the scene. The eye travels back there all the time, and there is nothing of visual interest. I don't know if adding people would help, they would have to face away from the viewer if you still want the landscape to be the story.

I think it can be worked on more and some areas like I mentioned tidied up. The perspective fixed and adding in a value statement to tell the story and you will have a winner. I feel you have the ability to do it as shown by your patience. Keep painting and having fun, hope this helps!
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-10-2018, 12:24 PM
Veteran Member
Monterey Bay area, California

The perspective makes sense if the view is from an observation platform, which I assume is the case.

As for the tilted bodies of water: I don't see that. However, if the dark bluish object at center right is a pond, rather than a field, then I see the point. It would still not be far off perspective. Seems like the reference photo was taken with a relatively wide-angle lens (28mm lens, if a 35mm camera).
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 09:56 AM
Clarington, Ontario

Hails from Canada

thanks for all your comments; it really helps when another looks at your work because you become too close to it. today is paint day so hopefully I can incorporate some of your comments. will post later - my goal is to finish it this weekend.
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 03:25 PM
Clarington, Ontario

Hails from Canada

well its been fun and a big challenge but I think I am finished. I Actually took your suggestions on brighter colours and darker shadows...also brought just a big of shadowing to the areas. \I added some little people on the top of the view and they represent the couple that got married. The railing actually has carved in it the wedding date and their initials in a heart. The name of the place and date is also carved in the over pass.
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-13-2018, 03:29 PM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Great job! This looks fantastic. A gift that will be treasured forever.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 07:48 AM
Clarington, Ontario

Hails from Canada

tom it was mentioned that the body of water was tilting - what exactly are you seeing (should i do straight lines on the upper land line?)
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 09:15 AM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Robincat, I donít see any problem with the water at all, but I remember two things about the first time I glanced at this piece. The little pond in the lower right caught my eye and I had to figure out that it was a Pond. Iím sure this is exactly what it looks like in real life, but you might consider altering reality and giving that tiny Pond a more horizontal far shore, as Iíve photoshopped here. Also, just consider adding a more distant horizon as I also photoshopped. It will add the depth I think youíre looking for and it sort of feels right. At least to me. If you do it just make 100% certain that it is absolutely straight and level. Use whatever tool you can invent to give yourself a perfectly straight line and donít make the edge hard, go soft. And for the record, I feel like Iím preaching to you and I hope you donít take it that way, I think this is really good as is.
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-14-2018, 06:03 PM
Clarington, Ontario

Hails from Canada

loved the idea of the distant cloud/mountains so i actually added this only part way to the cloud..then slowly disappeared. Also i see what you did with the lower pond - again loved it! so that is what i did. thanks and no problem with the suggestions - they worked! again thanks
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2018, 12:09 PM
Clarington, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Tom what about the two inlets in the upper right corner - ??
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2018, 02:33 PM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Robincat, Iím not sure what you mean but I took the liberty of changing to two little coves shoreline very slightly. Remember though ITS REALLY REALLY GOOD just as you did it, and probably more accurate than my version. I just liked the different lines the way I did it. I probably take too much advantage of ďArtistic !icenseĒ though. I looked at a bunch of your other paintings and I admire your work a lot. I see you live in Ontario. I have lots of friends in the Ottawa and Toronto areas and seem to get up there a couple of times each year. Canoeing in Algonquin Park is on my wish list for this summer.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2018, 09:53 AM
Clarington, Ontario

Hails from Canada

Thanks Tom for all your help. The picture is now finished and will be sealed this week. I love Algonquin and have done just about every trail there is up there. \ Here is the final on wall.
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2018, 11:28 AM
Veteran Member
Vermont & Connecticut

Hails from United States

Fantastic!