WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Pastels > Soft Pastel Talk
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

View Poll Results: Favourite brands of pastel pencils? Choose 3
Derwent Pastel pencils (old series) 27 15.88%
Derwent Pastel pencils (new Series) 55 32.35%
CarbOthello Pastel pencils by Stabilo 94 55.29%
Giaconda Pastel pencils 20 11.76%
Pitt Pastel pencils 55 32.35%
Conté Pastel pencils 53 31.18%
other..please mention in thread. 12 7.06%
Cretacolor Pastel pencils 18 10.59%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 170. You may not vote on this poll

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2011, 12:34 PM
WC! Guide
New York

Hails from United States
Re: Pencil storage + Pastel Pencil favourites poll- choose 3

aquabone: another giggle for pencil burrito

Deirdre: I just acquired the Giocondas, and haven't really 'used' them yet, so I cannot comment too much. I've pulled one out of the tin to add to my current doggie madness . They do seem really nice though, after a bit of scribbling. The colors are nice.

My addiction is borderline crazy when it comes to anything pastel. Yeesh, it's almost embarassing ........, nahhhhh............., I'm proud to love pastels .
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2011, 12:38 PM
A WC! Legend
San Francisco, CA

Hails from United States

The poll was a tough pick for me. I really do like my Cretacolor 72 color set best out of all of them, but that's only by a hair. If I had a new set of Carb-Othellos they'd be in the running. I've tried samples of all of them...

...and I liked the samples of all of them.

I just like pastel pencils. I even liked the old series Derwent. Was very tempted to snap up the wood box full range set on closeout though I missed it in favor of other things on equally deep discount. So I judged based on what I want most to add to what I have - the 48 Conte ones even though they're extremely fat and the Derwent new series 72 even though they're fat. I might have to get a new sharpener with them when I get them.

And then I'll probably get enough leather cases so that each set gets its own leather case. I'm half tempted to start ordering brown cases to distinguish between colored pencils in black cases and pastel pencils in brown ones - might make it easier to organize the shelf and see what to grab.

They are a bit pricy but the same case serves for studio storage and for tossing it into a bag to bring somewhere. The leather ones are like armor for delicate pencils. Also, my beautiful, famous cat Ari is a notorious pencil thief. He treats his pencils roughly, to him they're rattling fun things to bang around on the floor and chase, swatting them into the wall and pouncing on them.

I don't mind when he does this with a ten cent No. 2 pencil but when it's a delicate soft-core art pencil that costs one or two dollars each, they're not his. I have to keep them in some way that he can't just delicately remove one with his teeth, carry it off to the nearest patch of open floor and start playing pencil hockey. He's clever about running off with pencils from open pencil jars and the carousel!

So I keep the cheap No. 2 ones out as an attractive distraction.

Robert A. Sloan, proud member of the Oil Pastel Society
Site owner, artist and writer of http://www.explore-oil-pastels-with-robert-sloan.com
blogs: Rob's Art Lessons and Rob's Daily Painting
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:21 PM
Veteran Member
Oregon

Hails from United States
Re: Pencil storage

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Deirdre*
Bonnie..
Aquabone Yes, I like them and have 3, from SAA but they are for my set of watercolour pencils...I'd probably get them mixed up if I got some more...and that would never do!!

AH YES- already thought of this- just in case my pencil collection continues to grow- - paint the snaps at the end of the strap- so each 'burrito' has been color coded for quick i.d.
cheers,
aquabone.
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:42 PM
Lord of the Arts
Oegstgeest

Hails from Netherlands

I have a full set of Carbothellos. They are in the back of my cupboard, don't use them. I do everything with the Senneliers. Any other pastel or pencil I find looses it's colour.

My website: www.marinabuis.nl
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2011, 02:49 PM
Lord of the Arts
San Francisco

Hails from United States

My pencils (hundreds) sit in large flat cardboard boxes, sorted according to color. No one (or three) favorite brands, but colors I can't live without...Cretacolor Ruby and Bistre, FCPitt Indigo, Derwent Burnt Carmine, CarbOthello Greys...love 'em all. Chris, I'm right there with ya!
Chuas
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2011, 07:42 PM
Fredericksburg, VA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Deirdre*

Bonnie....how on earth do you keep them all so neat? I know they're in a shoe box, but are there divisions in the box?

I have them bundled together (by color) with a rubber band. I stuck all the bundles in the shoe-box as seen in the photo. When I'm looking for a certain color, I grab the whole color bundle for a closer view. It works for me!

As for the poll; I have all the brands mentioned in the poll and I love them all.

#22   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-09-2011, 08:17 PM
Lincolnshire countryside, UK

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdank
I have them bundled together (by color) with a rubber band. I stuck all the bundles in the shoe-box as seen in the photo. When I'm looking for a certain color, I grab the whole color bundle for a closer view. It works for me!

As for the poll; I have all the brands mentioned in the poll and I love them all.
Aha...yes, it used to work for me too....now I just grab a pot and choose.
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
Moderator Pastels Getting started in Soft Pastels Uploading Images
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2011, 01:36 AM
Lord of the Arts
Ozarks

Hails from United States

I use regular terra cotta flower pots with tape over the holes in the bottom. The bonus to this is the wire flower pot holders used to hang flower pots on a deck railing hook nicely over the cross bar of an easel or the side of a french easel or a drawer on your taboret. Keeps your flower pot of pencils within easy reach. Note: I also use these for my paint brushes & water containers.

Tanja

You may view my art at ~ www.tanjawareart.com
"Find out who you are and do it on purpose." - Dolly Parton
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2011, 02:56 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

It is a pastel table on wheels that I built from scratch Dierdre.
Nifty eh??
DEREK
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-10-2011, 06:15 PM
A Local Legend
St.marys, GA

Hails from United States

I find it's not hard for me I have 12 CarbOthellos in a metal case and 12 generals with a rubber band. I keep trying to get them to work for me but they tend to take off more thhen they put on. I got them to work some what in my oranges. kind of use one of them to blend a little in the rine.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2011, 11:58 AM

Hails from England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dcam
It is a pastel table on wheels that I built from scratch Dierdre.
Nifty eh??
DEREK
It sure is Derek! I'm not so talented in woodworking...but when my friend wanted to know if I could make use of his red metal trolley on wheels...I snapped his hand off!

Guess who was checking it out? Hissssssssss!
Regards, Deirdre (Always pleased to get C&Cs!)[b] Don't forget - comment on other threads in the forum as well as posting your own work - also, we encourage you to post WIPs, they help others to learn as well as you.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-13-2011, 02:13 AM
A Local Legend

Hails from United States

All I have currently is a set of 48 Carbothellos but I wanted to free them from their tinf for easier access and so I made my own holders;

I started with a 3" diameter cardboard mailing tube from the office supply store and cut it into 3" lengths. I then made end caps and dividers out of scrap matboard and glued it all together using Aleene's Tacky Glue. I have a set of Derwents and a set of Conte's on the way so I'll have to make a few more.

David
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2011, 06:00 PM
A WC! Legend
NorthWest NJ.

Hails from United States

Cute Kitty Deirdre!
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2011, 07:46 PM
Wyoming, Rhode Island

Hails from United States

Hi Deirdre I have only about 2 dozen pencils now which I keep in an old letter tray along with stumps and erasers, etc. As I just ordered a set of Conte's, I will be needing something new to hold them all. I actually like your cup solution. Keeps color groups together and easy to see. I do like the Nija pack for travelling. Thanks for helping me the same problem!
Sharon in Vermont
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-14-2011, 08:26 PM

Hails from England

Sharon...even better than the cup solution - the clear plastic jars that I buy my dog's treats in...the crunchy rolls come in them...I have loads...and unlike the cups...they have straight sides = more pencils ...can you tell I'm an addict?