WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Still Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-01-2004, 07:36 PM
A WC! Legend
England

Hails from England
This is really great advise on all accounts...... I was about to ask many of the already answered questions and just happened to spot the sticky .... Phew!!

I really enjoy doing still lifes, and have mainly used the WC's ref lib........ Jackie and myself Ha! worked out why ...... I was attracted by the great lighting in the photos....... Ps Jackie, I now have a spot light similiar to your suggestion, kind work colleagues bought it for my birthday......... and you also just answered a question I was going to ask........ what makes a good still life subject...... so great advise again...... look at works that you enjoy..... and use similiar and loved items

...... thanks to all ........ indeed very helpful
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-08-2004, 07:27 AM
Enthusiast

Re: how to set up a decent still life

Hello,
I would like to add a link to my favorite still life painter here.
His work seems to be a study on contrast.
Closed form against open forms, Light against shadow, warm color against cold etc...
This was a great help for me to select objects and to control the light.
I use a 30 Dollar light (1000 watt) you can buy at the do-it yourself market.

http://perso.wanadoo.fr/fletcher.sim...Sl/page_01.htm

best regards
Martin
Attached Images

#18   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Lord of the Arts
Portland OR

Hails from United States

I've noticed mention of using photos in this thread.

I want to suggest that working from the real, rather than from photos is important to the developing color sense. Photos 'see' only a fraction of the colors and values that our eyes see. Film can only capture 15 to 20 variations of a single hue, our trained eyes can see 2000. I use photos like field sketches, remembering there is far more there then I have captured in my photo. I wouldn't know what might be there without extensive work from the real.

Still life is the perfect way to easily work from life. It's surpassed only by working outdoors in full natural light, which can be problematical for much of the year. Here in rainy Oregon the painting season is short for plein air artists.

I have Ott lights in my studio for light that is full spectrum, almost as rich as natural light, since working in incandescent or flat florescent is as misleading as working from photos.

Kitty

http://kittywallis.blogspot.com/
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2004, 12:12 AM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitty Wallis
Still life is the perfect way to easily work from life. Kitty

not if you're working in a medium like colored pencil and it takes anywhere from 50- over 200 hours to complete a drawing...please no absolutes..

yes if you can, painting from life is still the best way,
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2004, 03:18 AM
Lord of the Arts
Portland OR

Hails from United States

My mistake, I forget how rapidly I work compared to other mediums.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arlene
not if you're working in a medium like colored pencil and it takes anywhere from 50- over 200 hours to complete a drawing...please no absolutes..

yes if you can, painting from life is still the best way,

#21   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2004, 03:06 PM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Hails from United Kingdom

Kitty - I am totally with you on the working-from-life concept, tho I know that Arlene needs to use photos because of the time she spends on her pieces, and she uses them creatively..............in fact, my suggestion was, for those who are a bit wobbly and uncertain about still life, that they look at the photos of still life subject matter, in the library, to see what appeals...and THEN set up something similar and work from life. It just helps to break the block of "what do I like, and what should I paint" - and feeds in a few ideas.

I wanted to make this quite clear, not just to Kitty, but to all those who might have misunderstood my earlier post. I spend quite a bit of time on these boards encouraging people to put the photos away and use their eyes, so I dont want any misconceptions! Working from photographic reference works for some people....but only after a good deal of time spent working from life, so that the artist understands how to correct the problems caused by the photographic distortions that occur. You cannot hope to do this easily if you always work from photos, and never from life.

There is so much more to be seen with the naked eye, and a certain kind of special pleasure to be had, too.

J
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-20-2004, 06:04 PM
A WC! Legend
Lawn Guylind

Hails from United States

i am quoting this again because it is so important to understand. anotherwords, i agree.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiesimmonds
I wanted to make this quite clear, not just to Kitty, but to all those who might have misunderstood my earlier post. I spend quite a bit of time on these boards encouraging people to put the photos away and use their eyes, so I dont want any misconceptions! Working from photographic reference works for some people....but only after a good deal of time spent working from life, so that the artist understands how to correct the problems caused by the photographic distortions that occur. You cannot hope to do this easily if you always work from photos, and never from life.

There is so much more to be seen with the naked eye, and a certain kind of special pleasure to be had, too.

J
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-21-2004, 08:34 AM
Enthusiast
great lakes area

Hails from United States

I think the best thing about still life is that you can set it up, change things around until the arrangement is pleasing, draw it on the paper or canvas and then paint away. If it doesn't get done in the time that you have to work in you can come back later, or another day and finish, or just work on another section and finish it that way. I work a full-time job and don't always have time to finish my painting.

The last still life I completed (last night) I had two plums in the arrangement and had to change the plums twice for fresh fruit because the first ones began to wrinkle and dry up before I was done. If there are flowers in the arrangement you would have to paint those first.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2004, 03:23 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Yes, flowers in a vase do die...but a plant will last longer than cut flowers, so that is worth thinking about.

And yes, fruit can be changed over, even if it differs slightly. This chap never works from photos, only from life, and I have read that he spends anything from weeks, to MONTHS on a painting, so he must change the fruit, or do it first before it shrivels up completely. Perhaps he spends more time on the still life pieces without fruit in them! This is a pastel, believe it or not:

Last edited by jackiesimmonds : 03-22-2004 at 03:40 AM.
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2004, 05:35 AM
Enthusiast
great lakes area

Hails from United States

That's pretty neat, Jackie, and pastel?! It's monochromatic with red fruit and the odd shaped green servers. The heavy dark buffet has its carved decors accented and it serves to give the items a base. The walls a little flat but its all so pleasing that it doesn't matter. Who drew it?
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-22-2004, 06:27 AM
A Local Legend
Middlesex, England

Andrew Hemingway. Do a search via Google, and you will find a number of sites with his paintings.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-24-2004, 06:03 PM
Enthusiast
great lakes area

Hails from United States

Jac, I found the site and was amazed! I'd never seen still life like that! I thought that not many people like still life, at least not where I live, in the Great Lakes and was wondering if it was a "beginnner thing". Thanks for telling me about it. Is he in a book? I'd like to read and see more of his art.

Also I found your postings in the thread: Hi, I'm new, about this new member who had the bad advice and you gave her constructive advice and I chimed in with my two cents worth, telling her about my bad experience with bad criticism. It has been quite an experience, joining WC! and finding all you experienced people here, all willing to help others and share advice, to all of you, Jackie, Arlene, others........THANKS ALOT!

I know that I speak for all of us "NEWBIES"
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-25-2004, 02:16 AM
Lord of the Arts
Portland OR

Hails from United States

there's a thread started by Jackie in the pastel forum with more info on Hemingway. It's called 'see these and weep'

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-16-2005, 12:14 PM
Siloam Springs, AR

Hails from United States

It's interesting - these discussions on painting from life vs. a photograph...
I've watched both methods (and I'm sure that depending on your medium, there are pros and cons to both) but I have seen successful paintings of flowers done from life. R. Schmid's flower paintings just blow me away...

Here are a couple of images - one is a student working from life and the other is Tim's painting of daylilies he did in a day. I wish he hadn't sold it - it's probably one of my favorite stills he has ever done.

Shandine Tyler
Attached Images

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-05-2005, 03:57 PM
A Local Legend
Vienna, Austria

Hails from England

Some great advice here. Lighting is my weak point. I wish I could get that figured out!
www.anitamurphyart.com