WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Subjects > Still Life
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2000, 05:37 PM
Veteran Member
Ga, USA

Hails from United States
Unhappy Floating Vase

I have completed this painting but the more I look at it the more I don't like how the vase sits on the table. It seems to be floating and I would like your advice as to what I could do to make it sit down. Thanks much. Phy llis

[This message has been edited by Phyllis Franklin (edited January 02, 2000).]
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2000, 06:21 PM
Rod

Cool

It's a beautiful painting. I think I would darken the rear bottom of the vase and merge it into the shadow on the cloth. This will also give the vase more shape.
Rod.
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2000, 06:22 PM
Veteran Member
Ga, USA

Hails from United States
Yes, Sandi, I see what you are telling me. I think maybe pulling the table cloth up a bit over the right edge of the vase might help. (or maybe the left edge) Would having one edge of the vase covered (left or right) move the eye inside the painting or outside? hummmmm, now I wonder if I have the courage to tackle that. My set up has long since been put to rest, but I think maybe I could set something back up that looks similar just to get something to look at while I try to correct. Have you ever done something like this?
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2000, 06:24 PM
Veteran Member
Ga, USA

Hails from United States
Thanks Rod, I like your suggestion as well, I think this one would be easier for me to attempt. Especially since I don't have the set up any longer. Thanks again, Phyllis
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2000, 06:43 PM
Rod

This is the effect I was trying to describe, picture worth a thousand words,
Rod
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2000, 06:50 PM
Veteran Member
Ga, USA

Hails from United States
I see. It immediately looks better. Thanks so very much. I am just now beginning to understand a little about painting. I am pretty much self taught and it really helps to get guidance from someone. Thanks, Phyllis
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2000, 08:11 PM
Veteran Member
N.Y. USA

Hails from United States
Hi Phyllis..Very beautiful..I had the idea you might add a base to the vase..like the bottom of a wine glass, omiting the stem of course..good luck with it..
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-02-2000, 09:59 PM
Veteran Member
Ga, USA

Hails from United States
Thank you so much Sandi. I did sign up (and paid for)for a Video Critique from Northlight about one year ago and I have yet to send anything in. Isn't that the way things go. My computer is in my studio and I keep it running all the time and have enjoyed the wetcanvas site and interacting with other artists. Thanks again for your ideas and tips. Phyllis
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2000, 02:01 AM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
manhattan,ny

Hails from South Georgia and South Sandwich Islands
phyllis,,,,,the reason your vase looks like it's floating is that it has been rendered as a flat, white shape, surrounded by dark( that is, the VERY dark area that "rims" the whole vase).
before i give a more detailed reply with ways to fix things up,,, can you tell me what you have in the background. you have a cloth/curtain shape on the right side. what is on the left? is it the same curtain?,,,an extension of the table cloth?,,,something else? and what are the double folds that are on either side of the vase base

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2000, 05:12 AM
Veteran Member
Ga, USA

Hails from United States
Thanks Bruin for your reply. This photo may help answer some questions.

#11   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2000, 07:11 AM
A Local Legend
Atlanta, GA

Phyllis - of course, there is no need to "sign up" for a critique here at WetCanvas!, and you'll almost always get more than 1 opinion. ;-)

You might also want to consider sending it to Johannes for a digital critique, similar to what Rod did (Rod, you should really drop Johannes a line...) ;-)

Cheers.
Scott
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2000, 08:41 AM
manhattan,ny

Thumbs up

Okey doke and here we go…generally I like to crit without seeing the setup because much of what one does in art is to edit what nature gives you. I won't crit the flowers, but the piece as a whole.
One quick thing,,,the rim of the vase is not as curved as you have it. It should be flatter, since you see less of it's top than the top of the pitcher.
The coloring of background cloth should be the same on both sides of the vase, so there is no confusion. a pattern on both would clear the question up. A pattern would also show the roll of the cloth.
The vase is round,,,the roundest thing there other than the eggs. Therefore it's white coloring should lose a bit of its whiteness as its form curves.. this would have been difficult for you as you painted the setup because you left the background rather light. Had you darkened the background like your setup shows, you could have turned the vase yet still capture its whiteness… do you see?
You should be bold and obvious with the cast shadow of the leaf on the vase. ..like the photo. This sets the vase BACK in the space. It is important that you set the vase INTO the canvas, if you're concerned about it popping out and floating. Also, by putting the leaf where you did, you merely "outlined" the vase form,,,thereby flattening it even more. I would overlap the leaf more. Another thing I would have done is to overlap the egg and vase. This also would set the vase back. …AND, it conects the vase to the rest of the still life as well.
Rod's redo is good. Note the reflected light on the shadow side of the vase.
I'm not as put off as you are with the "floating" vase… it is only that you didn't set it well into the setup.all I did was to suggest "connecting" it to the rest of the still life.
The only thing that REALLY bothered me was the folds of the cloth in the background.
Other notes……the cast shadow of the vase on the cloth is sharp near the folds at the base and softer on the cloth farther back. a teeny tiny bit of warmth for the pitcher would have added variation to your whites…maybe raw sienna or a naples yellow, or some such.. note the reflected light in the eggs' shadows. With all this white( or ANY light color),,,you will get a lot of reflected light.. vary the edge of the cloth a tad,,,not so horizontal as you have it. What you want to stay away from is making everything too "geometric". That will tend to flatten things more than you want…..milt

------------------
"he who thinks he know all and knows nothing is king in a kingdom of one,,,,,or a critic" - the kobe
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2000, 09:34 AM
Veteran Member
Ga, USA

Hails from United States
Smile

Thanks so very much Bruin. It helps so much to have input. I am going to start another painting soon and I hope that I can take everything you have said to heart. So many rules....lol....I don't know if I have enough brain cells left to remember them all. But it will be fun to take the journey.
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2000, 09:42 AM
manhattan,ny

in the end, rules are meant to be broken.....to suit YOUR needs
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-03-2000, 10:49 AM
Veteran Member
Ga, USA

Hails from United States
Smile

Sandi, Rod, Kemshmi, and Bruin.. I have another question. I am going to set up another painting similar to this one which I call "Breakfast Roses", and was wondering if any of you might have some good suggestions as to how to come up with a good set-up. What I do is just place the objects on a table and then just keep fooling around with them until I like what I see. But most of the time, the painting does not fit my canvas or it looks too busy when I get started. In other words, it looks good on the table but is just not suited for the canvas. Is there a rule that would help me know that I am headed in the right direction?

Thanks, Phy llis

[This message has been edited by Phyllis Franklin (edited January 03, 2000).]