WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Acrylics
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2001, 10:31 AM
too much in the sun

Re: Kitty litter

Quote:
Originally posted by strawberrrie

i guess the fact that ants are so picky is what makes the dirt so fine and even! I love it!

i may post a pic if i ever figure out how!

I would think the ants chewed up the dirt from below very well before depositing it at the top of the hill- hence the fineness.

I wanna see, too!

j*
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-24-2001, 12:54 PM
Dallas, Texas

Hi - I'm new to posting here - have tried salt in acrylic - worked great but was heavy on the canvas - had a great lava like texture when it dried -

I have also used cutouts of acrylic painting on paper - cut out section that I liked and incorporated into an acrylic painting on canvas.

Also - crushed glass or polished stone.

You can also spray alcohol onto a thin acrylic wash and get nice raindrop effect - the paint has to be fairly thin

I look forward to getting more ideas here.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-25-2001, 03:41 PM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
Two additives I have tried are talc and baking soda:
Talc can be difficult to mix in to prevent some clumping (unless you want this of course), but it does give an interesting subtle matt finish when the paint is dry.
Baking soda provides quite a bit of "tooth" or roughness to the dried film (particularly in thinner films) and is a lot less harsh on your brushes and palette knives than sand of a similar particle size.

You can also get a range of additives from Kremer including <A HREF=http://www.kremer-pigmente.de/intl.catalog/epigmen13.htm>mica and metal powders</A>, <A HREF=http://www.kremer-pigmente.de/intl.catalog/epigmen14.htm>fillers</A>, <A HREF=http://www.kremer-pigmente.de/intl.catalog/epigmen15.htm>extenders and thickening agents</A> that are definitely worth taking a look at.

Einion
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2001, 03:07 PM

Hails from United States
Question Glycerin as a retarder: yes or no?

My first acrylics teacher suggested that we add ordinary drugstore glycerin to the paints on the palette to retard their drying, instead of the more expensive retarder. I used to use it with finity and it did make the paints kind of jelly-like, smoother to apply, and it did retard their drying on the palette.

My next acrylics teacher said that this was a bad practice, as the glycerin might be too acidic or in some other way affect the painting's archive-ability. So now I don't know what to do.

Does anyone know the right answer to this question?
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-07-2001, 05:36 PM
Cupertino, CA

Hails from United States
Re: Glycerin as a retarder: yes or no?

Quote:
Originally posted by PHB
My first acrylics teacher suggested that we add ordinary drugstore glycerin to the paints on the palette to retard their drying, instead of the more expensive retarder. I used to use it with finity and it did make the paints kind of jelly-like, smoother to apply, and it did retard their drying on the palette.

My next acrylics teacher said that this was a bad practice, as the glycerin might be too acidic or in some other way affect the painting's archive-ability. So now I don't know what to do.

Does anyone know the right answer to this question?
Glycerin is gooey and permanently water-soluble. It is sometimes used in watercolors as a binder and drying retardant. I'm inclined to think that in large enough proportions glycerin would leave acrylic prone to resolubility, but a few drops in a large mass of paint shouldn't cause too much problem.

Propylene glycol is what is usually used in commercial acrylic drying retarder. I've never heard of glycerin being specified for this purpose.
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-08-2001, 01:09 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
PHB, glycerine is often recommended as a cheap retarder for acrylics and assuming you don't use too high a proportion I have not read any specific problems associated with it chemically.

From the Golden website "Humectants, agents that absorb or hold water (such as glycerin), also have been added to retard or slow drying. However, [they] must be used with extreme care as they tend to percolate to the surface of the film during drying, leaving a residue..." (I believe I have had this experience with a commercial liquid retarder). From another source "Rapid drying can be halted by adding [a] propriety retarder or by using pure glycerine with the paint."

As a rough guide use no more than 10% by volume but I would try to use less; you could try mixing the glycerine with water and using this mix to thin your paint, it might be a good way to keep the proportion down.

If you paint on canvas the Golden website has a really good tip that might be of use on their page about <A HREF=http://www.goldenpaints.com/drying.htm>drying</A> (see Soaking the Back of the Canvas near the bottom). There's a lot of other good info on this page also worth looking at.

Einion

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2001, 11:20 AM
A Local Legend
"Fraggle Rock" Virginia

Hails from United States
Crushed up Mica adds an interesting effect.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2001, 08:47 PM
missing Austin, Tx, working in Dallas currently

Hails from United States
Talking

Oh my god, it's finally here!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one of them is taken to show how bumpy the large rocks are....

Tell me what u think!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"Heaven and Hell are right here on Earth. Heaven is living in your hopes and Hell is living in your fears. It's up to each individual which one he chooses."
-Tom Robbins

Last edited by ThinkSeeDraw : 08-19-2001 at 09:09 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-17-2001, 08:51 PM

Hails from United States
oh no, what happened!??!????!?!??!?!

"Heaven and Hell are right here on Earth. Heaven is living in your hopes and Hell is living in your fears. It's up to each individual which one he chooses."
-Tom Robbins
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2001, 07:41 AM
A WC! Legend

Hails from Hong Kong
I managed to download one to my hard disk but none of my graphics programs can open or view it although it does appear to be 'headered' correctly as a JPEG. How did you save the images?

Einion

P.S. How did you attach four of them?

Colour Theory & Mixing forum WetCanvas Glossary Search Tips Advanced Search Acrylics forum Acrylics - Information Kiosk
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2001, 09:12 PM

Hails from United States
I used the image uploader on all 4, and to post 4 of them, i just clicked the img button, typed it in, said ok, then did it again...
let me try one at a time. here's the first

-Tom Robbins

Last edited by ThinkSeeDraw : 08-19-2001 at 09:19 PM.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-19-2001, 09:13 PM

Hails from United States
oh poop

anyone know what's going on??? I can give u the name of the pictures and anything else u need

-Tom Robbins

Last edited by ThinkSeeDraw : 08-19-2001 at 09:16 PM.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-20-2001, 08:21 PM
iran / tehran

Thumbs up

i love acrylics bcause in addition with other medias they seem to b of upper world

it represents translucence of dreams

can b mixed with eyerything but oils. ive practiced with vitrai colors and tiners even, they run toghether , the act of absorb and reply that can b frozen in a moment .
Attached Images

#29   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2001, 10:57 AM
NC, USA

Hails from United States
strawberry,
atttach your file.....you can only attach one file at a time but it works. go to the near bottom of the reply page and it says attachh file and clcik on browse and find where you have saved your pics!
~Crazi
it is my opinion that everything must be based upon an extremely simple idea. and it is my opinion that this idea, once we have finally discovered it, will be so compelling, so beautiful, that we will say to one another, yes how could it have been any different. ~john wheeler
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-26-2001, 11:00 AM
NC, USA

Hails from United States
you guys had some really cool ideas, i might have to try them myself.....
~crazi
it is my opinion that everything must be based upon an extremely simple idea. and it is my opinion that this idea, once we have finally discovered it, will be so compelling, so beautiful, that we will say to one another, yes how could it have been any different. ~john wheeler