WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2002, 12:11 PM
A WC! Legend
Hereford, England

Hails from England
Well I would be happy to see you, a few hints before entering Parenting 2:

1. Bring your broadest mind! lol

2. NEVER EVER ask "are you all parents?"

3. Don't keep saying "hello? hello? hello?" in voice

If you do pop in and see me, just shout me and tell me you're from WC

Ruth
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2002, 01:28 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Oooooooooooooooooooklahoma

Hails from Australia
chook = Aussie slang for chicken

brown = my last name

chookbrown

When I came to this country (USA) my husband to be took me to a classy little place for lunch - Kenny Rogers Roaster... Looking up at the menu board I said I would have the chook. The order taker and my husband both looked at me like I was speaking another language so I explained that chook was slang for chicken... woops...

He threatened chook licence plates for my car, I said no.

He immediately registered chook.com website domain name and now our computer company is CHOOK INC. go figure... He reckons it is no worse than Yahoo.

I also collect chickens for my kitchen.

Chooky (aka Colleen)

Colleen Brown Fine Art

Last edited by chookbrown : 10-14-2002 at 01:32 PM.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2002, 01:32 PM
Resting in Peace
NE Georgia, USA

Hails from United States
Don't know if I ever answered this in the "other thread" so here goes. When I was young I had a double name (all southern girls and boys have double names) which although it was my dear little grandmother's name I did not like. When I left home after graduation, I refused to tell anyone new my real name. I wish I had a dollar for every time I've answered "Just Jo!" in answer to "what's your name?" If I'd ever had the money, I would have a vanity auto tag that says "JustJo" on it... Just Jo I am, and Just Jo I will always be...

Oh, and when I lived in Arizona, my nick was JustjoAZ, for obvious reasons... it was changed when I moved to Georgia last December...

Last edited by JustjoGA : 10-14-2002 at 01:35 PM.
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2002, 03:41 PM
Veteran Member
Montreal Quebec

Hails from Canada
I never did an online name before until I joined WC
When I played video games with my kids I was always listed as
Mommer. (my boys called me that)

So, not so much of a mommer nowadays

It was Fidget, because I'm a kind of a fidgety person.
You know how you feel when you drink too much coffee?
That's how I am without the caffeine.
And you don't want to see me after a cup of coffee.
I keep to sipping tea.

My tiny head is a rose because that is my middle name.

Fidget

Last edited by Fidget : 10-14-2002 at 05:20 PM.
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2002, 04:36 PM
Veteran Member
Puget Sound area of Washington

Hails from United States
I've been "Leaf" in one form or another online since 1995. The full nickname is LeafSong; the Leaf for my love of gardening and such and Song because music is life and I'm often singing or dancing around the house to the soundtrack in my head. My husband knows my mood by what I'm either playing on the stereo or what I'm singing, or the lack of music altogether.

I've been LeafSong, Leafy, Leafers, Leafling, LeafLady and just plain Leaf, depending on where I've gone in my peripatetic online life.

And there you have it.

Leaf (the UN-Leaflin and the NOT-the-IvyLeaf )
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2002, 05:15 PM
Illinois

Hails from United States
I *love* hummingbirds. They arrive here in the spring and only just left a couple weeks ago --I miss them. I'm a hummingbird fanatic.
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2002, 05:39 PM
A Local Legend
Back in The Land of Poopy Diapers

Hails from United States
Quote:
Originally posted by sgtaylor

Yes.

J.R. Bob Dobbs is the Bob from the Church of the Subgenius. Bob Dobbs, The super-salesman... The man who did sell icecubes to Eskimos... Defendor of Slack... Enemy of the Pinks, Glorps, False Prophets, and the space alien Jehovah1... Wielder of the Stark Fist of Removal...

Yep... that's the guy. More info available in The Book of the Sub-Genius and Three Fisted Tales of Bob.

(Sometimes I worry about my reading habits...)

edited because I can't tell the difference between prophets and profits.

[This message has been edited by sgtaylor (edited May 09, 2001).]

This made me laugh because one of my hubby's best friends is ordained in the Church of the Subgenius and we almost had him marry us. He's performed 2 or 3 ceremonies.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2002, 05:59 PM
Pincourt, Quebec

Hails from Canada
Cool

The various definitions of iconoclast in the dictionaries basically boil down to "one who challenges traditional or popular ideas ... " Basically, your garden variety sh*t-disturber.

In my younger days I'm sure I would have ended up being ridden out of WC on a rail! I was insufferable. (Ask Fidget. ) Thank god (no pun intended) that I've mellowed somewhat. I can still go off on a rant, but I have pretty good control these days.

One of my favorite iconoclasts is Toto the Dog from the movie The Wizard of Oz. I delight in nothing more than "pulling the curtain open" and exposing anyone who has chosen to hide back there!

That's what my user-name means to me.

Last edited by Iconoclast : 10-14-2002 at 06:13 PM.
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2002, 06:02 PM
A Local Legend
Back in The Land of Poopy Diapers

Hails from United States
Hmmm. Well, mine goes back a long way. It first developed years ago when I started needing online user names. Elankat is a combination of two names and is pronounced Ay-LAWN-cat (stess falls on the middle syllable).

Ever since I was in high school, I loved the word elan (has an accented "e") because I loved the French language (minored in it in college) and means "free spirited." I always thought that I'd name a little girl (if I had one) Elan. It is also very similar to my real name LeAnne. Just reverse the letters and drop a few letters.

Katrina was a name that I always loved when I was little. I wrote stories about Katrinas and Katherines. I named my doll Katrina. In college, I found out that Katrina was actually my birth name. I was adopted at 21 days of age. I guess that explains why I loved the name. I had been called that at the very beginning of my life. (Incidentally, my second favorite name as a child was Danielle. I later found that my given middle name was Donielle. Freaky!)

In college, I had an roleplay character named Katrina. When I started my first online roleplay game, I recreated Katrina. It seemed natural that my i.d. on the forums be related to my main character, Katrina. Thus, Elankat was created from Elan + Kat (Katrina's nickname).

I guess it's my way of paying homage to who I was (Katrina), who I am (a mixed up LeAnne), and who I strive to be (free spirited).

Last edited by Elankat : 10-14-2002 at 06:06 PM.
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2002, 06:05 PM
Oooooooooooooooooooklahoma

Hails from Australia
LeAnne, such a lovely story about your name.... I always get goosebumps when I read things about previous names and how they appear in your current life etc.... very cool!

Chooky

Colleen Brown Fine Art
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2002, 10:10 PM
Immortalized
NYC

Hails from Ireland
Drapier

Drapier was a name used by Jonathon Swift when writing some of his more scathing satires, skewering the establishment of the day.
For an example of this if you have a little time read A modest proposal

The more I practise the luckier I get
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-14-2002, 10:21 PM
East Coast Canada

Hails from Canada
I have a feeling I posted to a thread like this before, but...
Sundiver is the title of a book by one of my favourite science-fiction authors, David Brin. It refers to dolphins, (sentient ones in the case of that novel), and I love dolphins. They are so playful and seem so joyful, leaping up into the air for no apparent practical reason. And I want to always be playful!

my virtual gallery
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2002, 12:03 AM
Veteran Member
Stanwood Washington

Hails from United States
tatoo

I love my user name it does have a lot of meaning to me....I have had about 6 birds (parrots) in my life ..I love birds, pets and in nature.
birdie has also become my Girl Scout camp name so all the girls know me as birdie....
I also have a very large parrot tatoo on my leg. That in it's self was a very big turning point in my life.....in a way I feel it helped me find my passion in painting.

Thanks for asking.....

Birdie
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2002, 12:06 AM
Rod

Theres a long history to mine , I was born with it

Rod.
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-15-2002, 12:17 AM
A Local Legend
Swift Current, Saskatchewan, Canada

Hails from Canada
She-She (real name Sheila)is a nickname that was given to me by a co-worker many years ago.
My tiny head (whitch I added many days after I joined WC) is of my horse. I was going to use her name, Misty as my user name, but I blew it over for She-She