WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#106   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-30-2018, 03:05 PM
Enthusiast

Re: Discussion: Gouache BRAND COMPARISON

Personally, I can't remember W&N drying hard outside the tube was a problem. My problem with W&N is that they dry hard INSIDE the tube. Maybe the tube design is to blame or something. The also smell a little bit (ox gall maybe?). They are not bad quality though, and I think Angus McBride used them for his illustrations.

I have had Holbein gouache tubes for at least as long as my W&N tubes, and they have not dried inside the tubes yet. So that is a good point for Holbein. Like W&N they have good colors.

Finally, I have tried M Graham more recently. I LOVE the colors and consistency, but I have not had them long enough to say if they dry inside the tube. I also haven't used them outdoors, but I trust people here when they say they attract bees. I usually don't mind bees anyway. Maybe one day I will use them to paint bees.
  #107   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-11-2018, 11:10 PM
Longview, Texas

Hails from United States
Cool Re: Discussion: Gouache BRAND COMPARISON

I have noticed black gouache drys in some places with a sheen as compared to the Matt finish In expect. It occurred to me, maybe I’m not really mixing up the batch in my pots, I would like to achieve a perfectly flat consistent wash every time. Suggestions welcome. I have tried Dale
Rowny jet black and velvet black. I get shiny spots with both.???

Last edited by Art-123 : 02-11-2018 at 11:15 PM.
  #108   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-12-2018, 07:38 AM
Remote - South Australia

Hails from Australia

I have used W&N for years, always been happy with their gouache, of late a friend recommended Charvin gouache from France, Charvin Monet et al used these paints and oils, has anyone tried this gouache, if so what were your thoughts please?
  #109   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-03-2018, 04:26 PM

Hello Everyone! Two brands that I haven't seen pop up much are Holbein and M. Graham and Co. I use Winsor and Newton alongside these too. All of these are excellent paints, but I use them for different purposes based on their characteristics. I don't want to sound biased, so I will list the colors (because each color is different.)

WN: Alizarin Crimson, Permanent Yellow Deep, Prussian Blue

H: Primary Magenta, Primary Yellow, Primary Cyan

M. G: Alizarin Crimson, Hansa Yellow, Pthalo Blue, Pyrrol Red, Azo Yellow, and Ultramarine Blue

WN was my first professional gouache, and the colors were very lovely; but I was upset considering the paints would just crack and fall out of my palette. I ended up using only a small percent of it, and I managed to keep them in my palette by mixing a tad bit of honey with my paints. I like using these as a watercolor. I don't want what I have left to go quickly. I would most definitely recommend these, but if you're like me, add a bit of honey before leaving them in a palette yo dry and rewet.

H: This is a nice, vibrant brand of paint, and it's really hard to grey or dull a color, which may be difficult if you want to achieve that. It's really nice for mixing, however it's not as opaque as I'd like it to be. I use this for under painting. This cracked in the palette, but not to the point where it may fall out.

M. G: This gouache is a perfect paint for me. It dries on paper lovely, rewets nicely, and doesn't crack and fall out of my palette, which allows me to use as much as I can out of it.

Here are some works I'v made. Thanks for reading!
https://img.etsystatic.com/il/a0355e...92714_i6us.jpg
https://img.etsystatic.com/il/884720...59639_aijn.jpg

I dont usually use it for realism (i guess), I prefer it for illustrations.
  #110   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-27-2018, 05:08 PM

Hello!

Great thread! I use gouache for illustration (mainly zoological subjects) and studies for oil paintings. I choose my colors by their pigments, and tend to use mono pigment colors, the same I use in watercolor, with some adaptations. Most of my gouache paints are Schmincke, followed by Winsor & Newton. Both brands are very good and very expensive too. I have some Talens and Sennelier tubes as well, but they are weaker in pigmentation, however perfectly usable. In my subjective opinion, the Schmincke seem to reflect better the characteristics of the pigments that compose them (those who have experience with watercolor will understand better), while with Winsor & Newton there is a greater uniformity in behavior and application across the range of colors. But my opinion may be somewhat biased, given the limited sample of colors I have from each brand.
Cheers!

Cheers!

Last edited by HgoArt : 03-27-2018 at 05:20 PM.
  #111   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-29-2018, 01:59 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art-123
I have noticed black gouache drys in some places with a sheen as compared to the Matt finish In expect. It occurred to me, maybe I’m not really mixing up the batch in my pots, I would like to achieve a perfectly flat consistent wash every time. Suggestions welcome. I have tried Dale
Rowny jet black and velvet black. I get shiny spots with both.???

I never tried those blacks, but I have tried ivory black from several manufacturers (and home made) and that one never turned glossy.

By the way, titanium white also has a tendency to turn glossy (both home made and certain manufacturers). I think some manufacturers mix it with chalk to avoid this.
  #112   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-27-2018, 12:27 PM

This thread is ancient, but it still helped me. I had no idea M. Graham attracted bees (which we have plenty of).

Cheap Joe's is offering a Da Vincie CMYK "set" (additive, six 15ml tubes) fer $6usd off ($23.99usd). The sale goes off next Mon (10/1/18).
  #113   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2019, 01:42 PM
Immortalized

Bronze Membership
Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by notbob
This thread is ancient, but it still helped me. I had no idea M. Graham attracted bees (which we have plenty of).

M. Graham is my favorite brand! Perhaps it's the honey that makes it so creamy and enjoyable to use. And the colors are intensely beautiful. However, although bees do exist around me, and I notice them because I always enjoy their company no matter what I'm doing, their numbers have never increased in the presence of any of my M. Graham colors.

It might be worth mentioning that although bees MAKE honey, when they're out and about, they are ATTRACTED to FLOWERS.

As humans, we make the bee / honey association for obvious reasons, but the bees themselves want to find the FLOWERS. Then they can go home and MAKE the honey.

Just a thought.

Edit: I leave bees alone as I watch them, and, therefore, they ignore me. That is true if I am sitting among a garden with dozens of them, meditating. And it is equally true if I'm sitting in a garden with dozens of them painting with M. Graham paints.

Last edited by Pine Cone : 01-26-2019 at 01:54 PM.