WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2009, 11:43 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States
Re: Discussion: Gouache BRAND COMPARISON

I recently purchased some W&N gouache and it has a different odor to it! I kind of like it--it smells like the classroom when I was a kid--but I wonder why it has that scent. It's very fluid and rich.

I'm still happy with the M. Graham gouache, too.

I haven't used Holbein or Schmincke, Shari, so I'll be looking forward to further comments on them. All gouache is expensive, it seems, at least if it's worth having!

Hope you enjoy using the gouache. I sure love it.

Deborah
Gouache Blog
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-15-2009, 09:29 PM
Enthusiast
Oregon, USA

Hails from United States

Thanks for getting back to me. I ordered a couple each of W&N, Schmincke and Holbein after I narrowed it down to those three. I will let you know. I have some W&N that I am using, but they are very old so I want to see what the new fresh ones are like.
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom

Hello everyone,
I think the smell is reminiscent of powdered poster paints which I used at school quite a while ago in primary school (little kids). Now I’m back in the UK I tend to stick with W&N for both watercolours and gouache. As an aside I met someone recently who works for W&N and she told me that they give wonderful factory tours….what better way to spend a day!
I think white smells the strongest. I love the smell and will e-mail W&N to find out exactly what it is…unless any one else knows.
Maggie
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2009, 12:24 PM
Hurricane Target

Hails from United States

I like both W&N and Holbein. I find more differences between colors within the two lines than I do overall differences between the lines themselves.

(The painting that is my current avatar is a micro-miniature in gouache and watercolor of my reflection in a ball-bearing. It's really tiny; the actual size of the painting is smaller than it appears on a computer monitor. Painting at that scale, price difference is not really an issue, lol.)

-Neil

-M.C. Escher

Last edited by NeilUnreal : 07-26-2009 at 12:28 PM.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-17-2009, 10:32 PM
A Local Legend
I am lucky enough to live near Mt. Rainier and the Seattle Fault.

Hails from United States

A question: Yea or nay on Daler-Rowney gouache?

My blog: http://passionforpigment.blogspot.com/
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2009, 07:30 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Germany

I'm very new to gouache and use Lukas which I like, but then, I can't really judge without something to compare them to... I've got a question though concerning Schmincke. They make an artist grade gouache called Horadam like their watercolour paints, a student grade gouache, and then an HKS Designer's Gouache that's apparently part of a colour matching system for designers; how does this designer's gouache compare to artist grade paints? It's at or around the same price as Lukas gouache, but I'm not sure if that's saying anything about the quality.
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2009, 10:49 AM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

Lyta, there's a side by side description on Schmincke's website. The HKS has more colors, but they're mostly mixed pigments and apparantly at a lower concentration.

If you look at Daler-Rowney's website, they offer the same paints in "College" sets and state the use of calcium carbonate filler, which means "student grade" to me. I've not tried them, but can't say I'm interested in the offer.

My biggest gripe about gouache is that so many companies only sell them in small sizes, including Schmincke. If you expect to use alot of paint or make several paintings, prepare to spend more money than necessary. Secondary to that is the poor color choices that most companies offer.

Look at Blick's pricing of Daler-rowney gouache and Maimeri, for example. DR's Ultramarine is 15ml at $5.43, and Maimeri's is 20ml at $5. One of my favorites is Da Vinci mainly because their tubes are 37ml and the color concentration is good, but you have to hunt to find them. Try Artist Supply Source. Their Da Vinci ult.blue is 37ml for $6.50. You gotta shop around, and pay attention to the size and color mixes.
My Blog

Last edited by dbclemons : 10-18-2009 at 10:55 AM.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2009, 10:59 AM
Lord of the Arts

Hails from Germany

Thanks for the info, David! I read that about the chalk filler, I'm just not sure how much impact this has on the brilliance of the colours... I think Lukas paints don't use a filler, and some of the colours come in larger tubes and even in big jars, so maybe that's a solution...

Edit: In the only local art supply shop I can only get Lukas, 20ml for round about 5-6 US-$. My online art store only has the three versions of Schmincke plus some student grade / no name stuff. Given that I'm quite happy with Lukas so far and don't paint enough to justify huge tubes, I think the shipping costs across the pond will be a lot more than any savings... I was just generally curious about the Schmincke versions to know if I should even order any, or stick to my brick-and-mortar store.

Last edited by Lyta : 10-18-2009 at 11:07 AM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2009, 03:36 PM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

I shouldn't imply that inert fillers like calcium carbonate is necessarily bad as long as the amount is low. It helps bulk up some pigments that ordinarily would be too thin, or having more pigment would be expensive.

The Lukas gouaches I have are good, but a little inconsistent in viscosity (thin or thick) and I have a large tube of their Opaque White that's kind of grainy. Lefranc Bourgeois makes decent gouache that comes in 25ml sizes as does Turner from Japan, and you might find them on your side of the world. Maimeri, Pebeo T7, and Royal Talens are 20ml. All the others I've seen are smaller.
My Blog
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2010, 06:06 PM
Aarhus, Denmark

Hails from Denmark

This may be an old thread, but still..
I have recently tried Maimeri's gouache, and I must say that I don't like it!
I can compare to Lukas, Winsor & Newton and I have a single old tube of Rowney "designers gouache".
The problem with Maimeri's gouache is not the pigment load, it's probably ok, but it gets very fast completely dry, and it's impossible to re-wet . So I end up wasting a lot - and it's too expensive for that.
The other brands I've tried also get dry, but not as fast, and even when they're dry, it's possible to re-wet them.
I plan to get some M.Graham because they should remain workable for a long time.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2010, 10:05 PM
Veteran Member
Illinois

Hails from United States

I am fairly new to gouache, but I started with the Reeves and found it very watery and did not hold well when rewet. I also have a pan Grumbacher set and like it for certain applications, so I use it when I need one of the colors in the set...I don't think it is wimpy, but don't like that it drys so quickly after adding some water to them. So, I use Holbein and love them. I buy the big tube of W & N Permanant white and love that, but mostly because of the price, color and size. I am sure I will venture into some of the other brands when I win the lottery!LOL!! Until then, I am trying to add different color tubes of Holbein so that I have a consistant colors. I think for the price they are good and easy to work with. According to the Blick site, Holbein gouache has no opaquing agents-using naturally opaque pigments and they do not darken, bleed, or crack. I was going to switch, but after looking at the other brands out there, I am sticking to the Holbein for now.

http://dledmunds.blogspot.com
www.zazzle.com/edmundsdl
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-23-2010, 11:33 AM
A Local Legend
Liberty Hill, Texas

Hails from United States

Since this thread has come back up... I started with Reeves, a student grade. My local art supply store said I'd be much happier with W&N, and they were right, of course. A great difference. I believe David was the first one to mention DaVinci's larger tubes. I still have the Reeves and some W&N sitting in the back of my paint drawer, but now I use DaVinci exclusively, and have for the last two years or more. BUT... I use a LOT of paint, buying several tubes of each color at a time, even though I only use 6 or 7 colors. I do a lot of wet-on-wet (as much as one can with gouache) and mixing as I paint, so I don't concern myself with the fine differences in consistency, etc. For me, it boils down to a matter of economics. The DaVinci does a wonderful job, and I'm very happy with it. Just my 2 cents.

My Art Showcase blog: www.ralphparkerart.wordpress.com
My Everything Else blog: www.ralphparker.wordpress.com

Last edited by Old Tex : 05-23-2010 at 11:36 AM.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Aarhus, Denmark

Hails from Denmark

Unfortunately both Holbein and Da Vinci gouache seems to be very difficult to get here in Denmark, unless I order from USA.

The only types I can get in shops around here is: Lukas, Schmincke Horadam, M. Graham and Maimeri. At the moment I can't even find a shop that carries Winsor & Newton gouache, they used to have it years ago, but most shops have discontinued these because they're too expensive here.

So among the alternatives I think Schmincke Horadam and M.Graham are the best.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2010, 12:28 PM
Portland

Hails from United States

Great discussion! I went with W&N a while back because of the pigment load. I love to lay on the color! So far so good, at least for the type of painting I'm doing.

#30   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-26-2010, 01:54 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

I agree that of the choices you mentioned, the Schmincke Horadam and M.Graham are the best. I use M. Graham and love them. I'm a certifiable color junkie and coming from pastels I wanted all the colors, but as I paint I'm beginning to realize how few colors I really need. One drawback to the Grahams is that if you go out to paint on location and are so blessed as to have honeybees in your area (fast disappearing, it seems), you will be troubled by them! The honey component in the mix is quite attractive to them.

I'm going to take Ralph's advice and invest in some larger tubes of DaVinci. What whites do you recommend, Ralph?? I'd like one more transparent and one more opaque, given the choice.

Deborah
Gouache Blog