WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2008, 01:07 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica
Re: Stormy Weather

I'm so glad you're enjoying the pictures I've been a bit nervous of posting so many myself, but I'm hoping that the members just taking a look are appreciating them too.

You don't know how much I envy the variety of animals you get to see in the States. I was saying to Kaslkaos recently how our island was cut off from France before even squirrels got a chance to make it over. We only have a few small mammals, but we do have a wonderland of birds, insects and marine life

I'd love to see your snow photos. I have a drumming friend near you, and he sent graphic descriptions of last year's snowfalls, but no pictures. Why not try putting the photos up yourself? They've made the process of posting images very easy to follow, and you can preview the results before posting (please PM me if you need a hand ). I've got the knack of posting photos, but I'm still having problems with text

Cheers,

Sephie
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-30-2008, 09:02 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Mackerel sky, mackerel sky
Not long wet, not long dry

My mum taught me how to read the skies, and always chanted this whenever she saw those clouds. She was a fisherman's daughter. As a child she had to haul a big hand-cart of fish to sell around the coast after every catch.

When I was a kid the fisherman used to come around every Friday, wheeling barrows full of fish and shouting out "Mackerel!". It's still one of my favourite fish

Cheers,

Sephie
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2008, 01:23 AM

here's a couple photos from the West Coast of Washington. Moutn of the Columbia into the pacific ocean. Love this post . love the stormy weather keeps the tourist away so I can get some carving done, lol.

#19   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 01:31 AM
Enthusiast
Singapore

I now live in Singapore where we do not have tropical storm like hurricane or typhoons, or tornados. I understand this is because such severe storms do not come to the equator, and we are just one degree off it. They keep to either the N or S hemisphere, and do not cross over the equator. This is a geophysical fact.

On the other hand, I was born and brought up in sub-tropical Hong Kong which do have frequent typhoons (or huricanes) from the S China sea. For some reason, the strongest wind comes from the NE, and I once stayed in a house next to a beach facing this direction.

Once the wind carrying stones and debrie crashed and broke the living room's big glass window facing the beach. It was a wet and dangerous mayhem after this.

Once the eye of the typhoon crossed over us. When it did, the strong wind and rain suddenly stopped and eveything became eerily quiet. After about two hours, the strong wind and rain started again, in the opposite direction.
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 06:50 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Quote:

here's a couple photos from the West Coast of Washington. Moutn of the Columbia into the pacific ocean. Love this post . love the stormy weather keeps the tourist away so I can get some carving done, lol.

Josh,

Thank you so much for those photos. They're stunning I'd do much to be able to experience snow like that.

I'm not one for congregating on beaches with crowds. Much better to have only wild animals for company. Not that they get very wild over here <g>

Please post more if you have any. And I have to ask; what kind of animal is it?

Cheers,

Sephie
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 07:19 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlion
I now live in Singapore where we do not have tropical storm like hurricane or typhoons, or tornados. I understand this is because such severe storms do not come to the equator, and we are just one degree off it. They keep to either the N or S hemisphere, and do not cross over the equator. This is a geophysical fact.

On the other hand, I was born and brought up in sub-tropical Hong Kong which do have frequent typhoons (or hurricanes) from the S China sea. For some reason, the strongest wind comes from the NE, and I once stayed in a house next to a beach facing this direction.

Once the wind carrying stones and debrie crashed and broke the living room's big glass window facing the beach. It was a wet and dangerous mayhem after this.

Once the eye of the typhoon crossed over us. When it did, the strong wind and rain suddenly stopped and eveything became eerily quiet. After about two hours, the strong wind and rain started again, in the opposite direction.

Merlion,

Thank you for sharing those stories. I've always wondered what it must be like to go through the eye.

We have one of the biggest tidal ranges in the world (over ten metres) and a gale combined with high spring tides and low barometric pressure can produce some impressive sights. Flooded coastal roads have to be closed down so that the rocks that are thrown over the sea walls don't smash through car windows.

Do you have any photos of storms to send as well? (No pressure; I just love seeing what it's like in other parts of the world. I could Google but prefer to see things through the eyes of people here )

I know nothing about monsoons. Do you get lightning with the rain as well?

Just off to find some photos of a rare time when winds reached hurricane force over here.........

Cheers,

Sephie
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 07:48 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Not so long ago, brave friend, daughter and I ignored police warnings to stay inside and battled down to the coast to experience winds reaching hurricane speed (us islanders aren't so good at taking orders )

We saw just three other people that day (one of whom provided a nice sense of scale as he scrambled out to get close to the waves).

We had to crawl along the shore a lot of the time, our camera lenses were coated with spray, we had to make human tripods of ourselves, or wedge ourselves between rocks just to take any pictures at all, so please excuse the quality. Keeping the horizon straight was the last thing on our minds

The sea was almost completely white. Our faces were sand-blasted and coated in salt. The roar of surf and wind was continuous and we couldn't speak at all because of that tumult and the wind tearing words out of our mouths. We could feel the vibrations of sea hitting shore through our feet.

You'll have to imagine the rest when you look at the pictures, unless you've been through something like this yourself, and then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about

Must stop now. Getting quite carried away

Cheers,

Sephie
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 10:15 PM
Enthusiast
Singapore

Quote:
Originally Posted by persephone_returns
Merlion, ... Do you have any photos of storms to send as well? (No pressure; I just love seeing what it's like in other parts of the world. I could Google but prefer to see things through the eyes of people here )

I know nothing about monsoons. Do you get lightning with the rain as well? ... Sephie
I'm afraid I don't have photos of these severe tropical storms in Hong Kong. It was so many years ago. I was quite young and would not take our precious family camera outdoor into the rain. Our cameras at that time use b/w films and viewfinders, not even single lens relfex. (I'm 68. I'll be antique soon.)

Time flies. We can now see many tropical storm pictures by clicking Google Images, or Flickr searches. We can of course also see YouTube videos.

Monsoon rains that come with thunders and lightnings are different. These are not uncommon in Singapore. And people do get killed by lightning strikes. Golf courses have stop-play sirens when lightning clouds appear. My TV and computer got knocked off once by lightning.

Last edited by Merlion : 12-03-2008 at 10:20 PM.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 10:41 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Quote:
I'm afraid I don't have photos of these severe tropical storms in Hong Kong. It was so many years ago. I was quite young and would not take our precious family camera outdoor into the rain. Our cameras at that time use b/w films and viewfinders, not even single lens relfex.

I don't know anything about photography. I was given a point-and-click digital a few years ago (which I love) and have never taken it off 'automatic'.

I just take hundreds of photos, and every once in a while a good one arrives by sheer luck

The best of not having a good camera is that I don't worry about taking it out into the flying spray (I get soaked quite often) but I do have to wipe the lens with breath and tissues quite often (and I *really* hope there are no serious photographers reading this )

Quote:
Time flies. We can now see many tropical storm pictures by clicking Google Images, or Flickr searches. We can of course also see YouTube videos.

I do that too, but I still find that nothing is quite so evocative as seeing photos taken by individuals one knows (if only through posts here) and hearing how they felt at the time and about all the sounds and other sensory inputs that photos alone can't provide.

I prefer often-imperfect photos like that to any amount of unblemished, manipulated photos on the web

Quote:
Monsoon rains that come with thunders and lightnings are different. These are not uncommon in Singapore. And people do get killed by lightning strikes. Golf courses have stop-play sirens when lightning clouds appear. My TV and computer got knocked off once by lightning.

Word-pictures like that are just as acceptable, of course

Damned lightning knocked out half the modems on the island a couple of years back (including the convent on the hill, which gave rise to quite a few jokes), but we are well trained to read the skies and run for cover, so we rarely suffer the same fate.

I love imagining the sirens on the golf course. The only sirens we hear are set off at the Eleventh hour each year. Always sees me crying like a baby.

OK. You're let off since you say it so well in words But do remember that I recently opened the thread up to any non-sunny weather..........so if you do have a camera now...........

Cheers,

Sephie
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-03-2008, 11:43 PM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

South-westerly, force 8.

Much as I'd like to paint myself as fearless explorer who never feels the cold, I have to admit that all these 'high tide and gale' parties end in either a bar for a beer in front of an open fire, or tea and home-made cakes at a coastal cafe (where we can watch the seas in comfort )

Cheers,

Sephie

#26   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2008, 12:52 AM
Enthusiast
Singapore

As I am writing now, there are thunders outside. They are dry thunders, which means the thunder clouds with rain have not come over yet. But some thunders are very loud cracks which means they're quite near.
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2008, 01:35 AM

Sephie
That was a couple deer that we spooked when coming up to the light house to get the snow photos . Snow is pretty rare here. have to drop what you doing and get out there when it comes.

here's another shot from the Oregon side south jetty.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-04-2008, 02:15 AM
Enthusiast
Singapore

I don't have good photos to show. What I'd like to show is one of the remarkable paintings relating to stormy weather by J M W Turner.

The Shipwreck

Last edited by Merlion : 12-04-2008 at 02:17 AM.
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2008, 12:42 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Quote:
I don't have good photos to show. What I'd like to show is one of the remarkable paintings relating to stormy weather by J M W Turner.

The Shipwreck

Paintings are equally welcome, especially if they're by Turner I lack the words to describe how much I like his works.

One of my closest friends on the island is a descendant of Turner. As a child she remembers seeing his watercolour paintbox around the house before her mother donated it to a museum or gallery (I forget which).

Quote:
As I am writing now, there are thunders outside. They are dry thunders, which means the thunder clouds with rain have not come over yet. But some thunders are very loud cracks which means they're quite near.

Do you count between lightning and thunder to tell how close it is? I've always loved doing that.

It seems as if we don't have the amazing storms we used to have when I was a child. Maybe something to do with solar cycles? (unproven, I think, but my experience says otherwise).

I'll never forget the time I first heard about lightning glass (fulgurites): slender, usually tubular bodies of glassy rock produced by lightning striking and then fusing dry sandy soil.

Here are a couple of examples (not very tubular) :

The winds have risen here. To the north, England is getting icy. We're expecting thunder and hail here today. It's turned cold and the bird-feeding station is completely feathered for most of the day

If I manage to find my lost camera recharger I'll be out today, but I have one more photo to post a little later. I think Turner would have liked the scene

Thanks again for sharing a stunning painting.

Cheers,

Sephie
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-05-2008, 03:17 AM
Veteran Member

Hails from Antarctica

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshfrmseaview
Sephie
That was a couple deer that we spooked when coming up to the light house to get the snow photos . Snow is pretty rare here. have to drop what you doing and get out there when it comes.

here's another shot from the Oregon side south jetty.

Beautiful pictures as ever! And you did a painting from the last one too

I know what you mean about having to drop what you're doing and just get out there. Some weather conditions are never repeated, and everything else can usually wait. Spontaneity is the key!

Do send more, if you have them.

Cheers,

Sephie