WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread  

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2007, 08:14 PM
New Jersey

Hails from United States
education advice?

Hello everyone,
I was wondering if anyone here could give me some advice in regards to school. I've been going to school at a University for a year and half but I have begun to recognize the rather large gulf between the focus of their curriculum and the goals I have. In terms of my education, I want to learn how to paint and draw realistically. I figure that having acquired those skills I can stylize judiciously and with intent rather than doing so because I don't have the skills. I have already run across several professors who are afraid to influence the "students hand". They view style as something which must be sheltered, nurtured and fostered within the student. I want strong teachers who WILL influence, teach and instruct me in the pursuit of realistic representation in my work. I will not receive that kind of depth of education in my current program.

So, I started looking at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts. I found alot that I like about the program and have quite recently finished an application to that school. I have seen some great student work and the curriculum appears to contain a great base of traditional study from cast drawing to still life to anatomy.

Still, I wonder if I am doing myself a disservice by not trying to get into a traditional atelier school. The only one close enough to me is Incamminati. I could apply there...but it is extremely important to me to be able to use the GI Bill money I worked so hard to get and Incamminati is not approved for that kind of financing.
The thing is after having made one mistake by choosing my current program, which does not suit me, I am loathe to make another mistake. Is anyone familiar with the program at PAFA? Can I get what I am looking for there or am I barking up the wrong tree?
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-01-2007, 08:15 PM
New Jersey

Hails from United States
Re: education advice?

Ack, that's not a proper introduction I sound young and whiny and desperately lost. Mebbe I am whiny and lost. Ahh well, anybody got any advice I would appreciate it...as sort of an apology here's some stuff I've drawn this year that I am proud of to distract you from the whining.

#3   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2007, 11:12 AM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuran
Hello everyone,
So, I started looking at the Pennsylvania Academy of the Fine Arts.

Does that mean you've paid a personal visit to the Academy and toured its facilities, talked to its administration's councilors, teachers etc? If not, you need to do that to answer your questions for yourself. It's a fundamental step for ANYONE thinking about attending ANY institution of higher learning, IMO.

#4   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2007, 02:54 PM
New Jersey

Hails from United States

Absolutely, I visited the school spoke to the head of the painting department several times and consequently was invited to watch a lecture and demo in one of his classes. I looked at student work at the school, in an ongoing class and online and I spoke to some alumni. I spoke to admissions and asked questions, I also had them do an unofficial evaluation of my portfolio and transfer credits.

I don't think anyone is going to be able to answer my real questions. I have done quite a bit of research on this school. I know the answers. I guess I was getting nervous about making another mistake and was looking for assurances. I've already applied to PAFA..I'm awaiting approval. This seems like a great choice and I'm being a ninny.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-02-2007, 07:02 PM
Lord of the Arts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anuran
I don't think anyone is going to be able to answer my real questions.

After reading your full reply, seems to me as if you've done the research and made the right decision. I know the school has a great reputation for teaching academic techniques in an atelier setting, so from what you've written it seems a good choice for you. Best of luck on your future.