WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#91   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2013, 06:08 PM
Canada

Hails from Canada
Re: Why Gouache? Benefits? Why do you like it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftyandy
It needs to be framed behind glass using a mount to prevent condensation and fungal growth

Can someone describe or direct me to a description of this process please? I guess it involves more than just using a mat. The same subject was covered in Maggie's quote from the W&N website and it referred to a "linen inset."

I've been reluctant to paint with either oils or acrylics for a variety of reasons. After stumbling upon these gouache discussions and following some of the links and researching a bit, I'm starting to think this may be the painting medium for me.
  #92   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2013, 06:48 PM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Quote:
Gouache and all works on paper should not be placed in a frame directly onto the glass, as this does not allow for any circulation within the frame and condensation can build up, resulting in mold growth. A mount between the paper and glass allows just enough circulation to prevent this. Provided your linen inset is between the paper and the glass, it will perform exactly the same job as a card mount. The frame will not have any effect on the fading of the painting you describe.

This is what Maggie quoted. I think the point here is that you not frame against the glass, but use a mat or other spacer. You want any painting to have some breathing room so that no moisture builds up, which sometimes happens if the paint is directly in contact with the glass. A "linen inset" is probably describing a linen covered mat, a classic look.

I love gouache for all the reasons Jaime mentioned and Charles quoted above. It has a lot of advantages! Try it and see what you think...
Gouache Blog
  #93   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-23-2013, 01:05 PM
Wisconsin

Hails from United States

After reading almost everything WC artists have commended on about gouache, I bought some M. Graham gouache paints from Dick Blick.
Have been experimenting and really like this medium. It does take a lot of patience and practice, but then any medium does, doesn't it?

Will be looking forward to reading more and enjoying all the beautiful works of art that is on WC using gouache.
  #94   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-07-2013, 09:38 AM

Hello everybody

I am a begginer and so far i have mainly draw with pencils and ink. Then i got some pastel pencils and did a couple of drawings with them. I mainly do automotive drawings.

So i started to think about different stuff to paint with. I wanted acrylics but their quick drying time is not good form me beacuse i need a lot of blending time since usually there are a lot of curves in cars.(but then again on the internet i have found some pretty realistic work done with acrylics) This year open acrylics finnaly arrived in my country but they are expensive, really expensive(they are like 2x the price of watercolors and acrylics) Then i tought about watercolours, but they are not opaque enough. And then i stumbled upon gouache. And then i saw there are many automotive artist that use them. So i got really interested in them.

I have found a set of Talens Guache extra fine 10 tubes of 20 ml for 30 euros. Here is there colour chart http://www.talens.com/media/1171884/...F%20Engels.pdf

Now i have a few questions

-whats this thing with gouache being fragile, does that mean that one can scrape them off a paper? Then they should be protected with glass?

-cracks that can appear on the painting if painted thick. How thick that is? Beacuse i dont have the intentions to do impasto, just a nice thin brush strokes is that ok?

I do have to say I am still deciding between these three meadias.

I would appreciate if any of you would have any advices.
  #95   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2013, 08:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maggie latham
Hello everyone,

Jumping into this thread a little late, but have been following with interest, so thought I would share my own thoughts:

I use W&N all the time …both watercolour and gouache and they are good quality. They are not especially ‘cheap’ or produce ‘cheap wimpy looking paintings’……producing rich colourful paintings is more about knowing how to handle the medium and how much pigment you use.

Gouache has been traditionally used by illustrators because of its matte opaque finish that reproduce well.

Gouache can be used with many different techniques, used thinly or thickly, on paper or panel. It can be used on gessoed panels and then varnished with a spray varnish, however this is not favoured by everyone. Ralph Parker (Old Tex) is an artist here on WC who uses this method almost exclusively.

As I use watercolour paper, I prefer to frame my paintings under glass, traditionally with a mat.

The type of brushes you use, the amount of pigment to water and type of support will determine the finished outcome and 'look' of your panting.

There are as many different techniques in using gouache as there are in watercolour, so it is important to experiment and find out which techniques work for you and your style of paintings. Gouache is very effective used on coloured printmaking papers such as black Somerset velvet paper (see Deborah Secor’s recent gouache paintings).

I have recently started a new art blog about my own experiences in painting with gouache…….there is a link to my gouache blog in my signature line below.

Gouache is a wonderful versatile medium and the more educated people (and artists) are about it ……the more it will be taken as the serious fine art medium it is.

Maggie
Hi Maggie. I couldn't find the address for your blog. i am interested in learning more about gouache. Can you give me your blog address?
Thanks, Doug Goodale
  #96   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-11-2013, 11:26 AM
A WC! Legend
Albuquerque, New Mexico

Hails from United States

Doug, Maggie's blog doesn't exist anymore, sorry to say. That post was from a few years ago. You might do a Google search to see what she's up to these days...

If you're interested, I have a gouache blog that's current. There's some information there on materials I use and a couple of step-by-step demos.

You can check out the Gouache Corner, and its archives, too.

TOMO, gouache should be shown under glass, yes. If you use it too thickly (impasto) on a flexible surface like paper it will crack or craze. Used thinner it works fine, with no cracking. Your Talens brand is good gouache. It should work well for automotive paintings.
Gouache Blog
  #97   Report Bad Post  
Old 02-08-2016, 11:20 AM
Cotswolds

Hails from United Kingdom

I love gouache, it is a lot like poster paints when you were a kid. I love the vibrant colours, opacity and the flat finish. Although I have just bought some Golden Liquid Acrylic, it comes in all-white with lots of iridescent colours that reflect when it hits the light. This works on top of gouache!!!!! I know, hold yer horses, shiny gouache! You need to put the colour you want down first, any colour (leave to dry overnight) and then paint the acrylic on top. I also think gouache works well with coloured pencils and ink pencils. I had a disaster with a cheap student brand of gouache when I first started, I nearly gave up. So do be aware that cheap ones can ruin your work, and it is not you being a klutz. I then switched to winsor and newton which I am very happy with. They are not the best, but they are professional quality and in most artists' price range. I tone and mix with permanent white (the same as titanium white), it keeps the colours bright, whereas zinc white mutes the colour a bit. But that's a matter of taste, there are no rules in art, and you can do what you like. But the reason I like gouache is because it's so vivid and it cheers me up and hopefully my paintings bring joy to others.