WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#61   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-07-2009, 03:11 PM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States
Re: Why Gouache? Benefits? Why do you like it?

I have a few of the Turner Acryl. Not quite the same as genuine gouache in terms of handling but okay. Also, some of the paints are curious mixed pigments instead of single pigments. There are several other brands of these type of paints too. Since they are acrylic paint, there's no problem varnishing them. Genuine gouache would be better unvarnished, in my opinion.

http://www.turner.co.jp/english/index.html
My Blog
  #62   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-08-2009, 12:40 PM
southern Oregon

Hails from United States

I've been using gouache, often combined with watercolor, for the best of both worlds. I would prefer to use oils, but even water soluble oils are too smelly for me, giving me headaches. I missed the greater possibilities in using oils, since watercolor does not allow painting from dark to light (and I'm lazy enough not to want to spend ages painting a watercolor in a certain way to accomplish a certain look that could be done in minutes with gouache). So I began using gouache for some of my paintings in the past year and do love it.

The only thing watercolor and gouache don't give is the lovely sheen and warm glow that oils give. But that aside, it's so easy to use gouache. If you've only used watercolor, it takes some getting used to the way it handles, but after a couple of paintings, I got the idea fast.
  #63   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2009, 10:38 AM
A WC! Legend
NE Wisconsin Nicolet National Forest

Hails from United States

Painted with acrylics for over 30 years...oils the past 15 years. I'm pretty much sold on oils as my main medium, the color...the opportunity painting outdoors to use oils in all weather, cold...etc.,

but...what I have enjoyed with the gouache pieces I've done thus far, is I seem to easily enough use them in an oil mode of thinking, alla prima...directly, and heck...standing at a counter in the kitchen with no mess or smells if I want. Feels a bit like an extension of oil painting...like practicing oils without using oils.

I've been trying to push myself toward greater essential simplicity in my oils...a painterliness that is yet realistic, nailing the moment without overworking and the irony is it seems to happen by the nature of the pigment or more naturally for me with the gouache, if that makes sense.

I hope playing with the gouache will lead to more of that then happening in my oils...
  #64   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2009, 02:11 PM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

I work in a variety of media, and I find there's a certain cross-pollination that happens with the way I've learned to handle each one. The manner in which I apply gouache or casein can be used with oils or acrylics. It's essentially focusing on mixing the right color ahead of time. It's more of a general painting skill and not specific to the medium used; although, each medium has certain advantages or disadvantages by comparison.

I don't bother trying to make my acrylics look like an oil painting - why should I? Working in multiple mediums also keeps me on my toes and my skills sharp.
My Blog
  #65   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-13-2009, 04:18 PM

I'd been using acrylics for about 10 years but I've grown increasingly frustrated with the medium - having to paint and repaint (and often re-repaint) areas to get an even colour, having to struggle with humidity conditions, too hot and your paint dries too quick, too damp and your paint doesn't dry at all, and worst of all those horrible, artificial colours.

Recently I tried using gouache again. The last time I tried gouache was during my first week in art school, when they taught us how to do a colour wheel. That tedious little exercise put me off gouache for a long time and it's a shame that UK art schools give you this lame introduction to what is a very versatile medium.

I guess because my work is rooted in drawing (and because I'm terribly impatient), gouache is the best paint for me. True, opaque colours, no faffing around with drying times, no hassle with room temperatures, no stressing from the paint drying up on the pallet and then desperately trying to rematch the colour.

Anyhow, I love gouache. A very underrated medium IMO.
  #66   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-23-2009, 10:37 AM
Veteran Member
Anchorage, Alaska

Hails from United States

I have just discovered gouache after many years of working with transparent watercolor. How wonderful to be able to combine the 2 of them. I just finished 2 very quick commissions and could not have accomplished what I did in the short time I had without the gouache. Leave white??? Now I don't have to in every instance. This is a fantastic forum. I will be back!!

Pat's Website
"Artists help us to see what is secretly there." John O'Donohue, page 248 of his book - "Eternal Echoes"
  #67   Report Bad Post  
Old 06-21-2010, 11:32 AM

Gouache--at least if you buy a decent brand--is incredibly vibrant, since it doesn't include white, and, from any reputable manufacturer, has a much higher pigment load than watercolor. That's one of the ways a good manufacturer, like *Schmincke Horadam* or *Artists Gouache* (the latter of which doesn't have any fugitive colors in its line) achieves opacity, by increasing the pigment load.
  #68   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2010, 06:58 PM

What is meant by fugitive colors and pigment load ?
  #69   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterfield9874
Gouache--at least if you buy a decent brand--is incredibly vibrant, since it doesn't include white, and, from any reputable manufacturer, has a much higher pigment load than watercolor. That's one of the ways a good manufacturer, like *Schmincke Horadam* or *Artists Gouache* (the latter of which doesn't have any fugitive colors in its line) achieves opacity, by increasing the pigment load.

Is Artists gouache a company like Winsor Newton or did you just mean artist quality paints of any company .
  #70   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2010, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chesterfield9874

Is Artists gouache a company like Winsor Newton or did you just mean artist quality paints of any company .
  #71   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2010, 10:35 PM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by scott hill
What is meant by fugitive colors and pigment load ?

Fugitive would be pigment colors that will fade in a relatively short period of time, i.e. have poor lightfast quality. Madder lake is the most notorious of these. Most dyes also have this trait, but there are fast dyes too.

Pigment load is the ratio of pigment to binder. Watercolors can have a high pigment load also, and can in fact be quite opaque. Watercolor pigment tends to be mulled to a smaller size than gouache so that it will flow in water better. A larger particle size of pigment helps gouache achieve opacity and be applied more thickly.

There's no particular rule book that manufacturers follow that differentiates the two mediums. The binder might not even be gum arabic, but glycol. Dextrin is also used in gouache to help make the paint more creamy.
My Blog
  #72   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2010, 02:50 PM
Darlington

Hails from United Kingdom

Has anyone used the Caran d'ache gouache pans? and how do you find them compared to other makes?
  #73   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2010, 04:29 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbclemons
I work in a variety of media, and I find there's a certain cross-pollination that happens with the way I've learned to handle each one. The manner in which I apply gouache or casein can be used with oils or acrylics. It's essentially focusing on mixing the right color ahead of time. It's more of a general painting skill and not specific to the medium used; although, each medium has certain advantages or disadvantages by comparison.

I don't bother trying to make my acrylics look like an oil painting - why should I? Working in multiple mediums also keeps me on my toes and my skills sharp.

So which brand of gouache do you recommend? I noticed that you have used several. I think Holbein is pretty good, but W&N is also very nice (smells different though, as you noted. Could this be ox gall?) Anyway, I like the fact that M Graham seems to take this medium more seriously than most (offering many true earth colors as opposed to pigment blends etc), so I will probably try that brand soon. Apart from oil, gouache is rapidly becoming my favorite medium.
  #74   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2010, 09:02 AM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trond
So which brand of gouache do you recommend? ...

The main factor for me is to buy at least a decent brand that comes in a good size tube. The one I use most often is DaVinci - good paint and the tubes are 37ml. There are other good brands like Schmincke or Graham but the tubes are too small for me. It's like trying to paint your house with a spray can. If you paint small works all the time and thin it like watercolor that may not be so important.

The other issue, as you mentioned, is to get the right pigment. Many of the major brands make decent paint but the color selection isn't that great. You can extend your choices by using a good quality watercolor as long as you don't paint thickly with it.
My Blog
  #75   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-10-2010, 03:06 PM
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbclemons
The main factor for me is to buy at least a decent brand that comes in a good size tube. The one I use most often is DaVinci - good paint and the tubes are 37ml. There are other good brands like Schmincke or Graham but the tubes are too small for me. It's like trying to paint your house with a spray can. If you paint small works all the time and thin it like watercolor that may not be so important.

The other issue, as you mentioned, is to get the right pigment. Many of the major brands make decent paint but the color selection isn't that great. You can extend your choices by using a good quality watercolor as long as you don't paint thickly with it.

Thanks! I don't think small tubes will be a big problem for me, but perhaps I will check out DaVinci later.

The only thing that annoys me with gouache in general is their tendency to dry out in the tubes. Luckily, I am not opposed to rewetting dried paint, so I have cut open a couple of dried-out tubes and put the contents in large empty watercolor pans. After adding a little water, the paint can be used again.