WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2007, 10:06 AM

Re: Why Gouache? Benefits? Why do you like it?

thanks david,

back to why gouache is an outstanding medium for fine art. i spoke to robert doark, a paint maker in ny. he spent a lot of time talking about his paints and various mediums, a lot of which i never heard of. he sells a liquid pigment blend used for watercolor and a white medium to turn them into gouache. he also told me that he had another substance that is wax-like that if added to the gouache will render them into an acrylic like paint; they become waterproof and can be used like oils. i told him that glass was too expensive for the size of my work and he said he has another substance that when applied heavily becomes glass-like, excluding the need for glass. i think it's called b67, but i'm not sure.

i ordered 3 liquid colors, approximating primaries, and the waxy stuff that makes them waterproof and a white. i'll let you know what they're like when they get here. it would be worth your time to call him. he's a bit brusque but very generous with his time. he'll tell you that whatever you're using is garbage and that his stuff (he has his own watercolor paper at $40.00 a sheet) is the only stuff worth buying. but he'll explain why and is pretty convincing. his number is 718-237-1210 or 718-237-0146. he also has his own brushes, i think they're large fresco brushes that he used for gigantic w/c paintings. actually, it seems like whatever you need, he has it and it is the best on the planet. he's not exactly humble, but he knows chemistry, color theory and just about everything. i read a review by him of graham oils and he said they were great, so he may be overstating his abilities. on the phone he said they were pretty bad.

i apologize for putting so much personal stuff on this thread, but know about pms now. thanks for your patience and generosity of spirit.

pati
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Enthusiast
Leeds, England

Hails from United Kingdom

The pictures posted on the thread are superb - I didn't know gouache could have such rich colours.
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-26-2007, 02:29 PM
Enthusiast
Georgia

Hails from United States

here's a link to handprint about the doak watercolors
http://www.handprint.com/HP/WCL/pigmt2.html#doak
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-26-2007, 09:36 AM

What if I just want to try using Gouache and don't want to shell out all the money that I have already on oils? I hate oils! The smell of turps urps me. Can't handle them.

One at Dick Blick's is Savoir Faire French School Opaque Watercolor Gouach. Is it readlly such a bad example of gouache?

I would trade someone all my oil painting tubes and solvernts for some good gouache, it that works out.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-16-2007, 03:26 PM

Hails from United States

Well, I'm coming late to this thread, sorry, but I've been playing with a number of different mediums to see where my interests lie... anyway Graham's stuff is easy for me to get so I've purchased a fair amount of their gouache over the past couple of years and have been thrilled with it. I've not tried Schminke but have heard good things about it. And their oils are supposed to be top notch too.
Anyway, the Graham has great covering power, strong color, blends wonderfully etc etc. And frankly you're not paying for a name (W&N) but instead are paying for the quality of the product.
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 04-26-2008, 09:50 PM

I like to use Strathmore Illustration Board when painting with gouache or watercolor. You can paint on either side, it is acid free and it has the Strathmore embossed stamp in the corner.
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-15-2009, 09:18 PM
New England

Hails from United States

Hi. I can see from the conversation that this is a medium that is very versatile and hesitate to ask, however to lay down a coating on watercolor paper or other heavy paper, in a pinch what can I sub for gouache? I don't have a tube and a project calls for a base of white gouache to work with resists. Thanks for any ideas. Kristin
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-16-2009, 08:09 PM
Lord of the Arts
Winston-Salem, NC

Hails from United States

Before watercolor became a medium for elite purists, a common technique was to apply colors on top of a base coat of Chinese white watercolor. White gouache is similar to Chinese white but generally would have more covering power (opacity). You can use watercolors with white gouache. In fact, watercolor and gouache are perfectly compatible. I mix watercolor and gouache all the time. (Gouache purists don't like this, but it is perfectly okay.) For playing with resists, you can certainly use watercolor instead of gouache. If you don't have Chinese white, try a base of yellow watercolor. Just apply it a bit thicker than normal watercolor. Of course, a yellow base will radically change the hue of colors painted over it, but it will work for learning resist techniques. Resist techniques which I know about will also work on plain watercolor paper.

Richard in NC

Last edited by Richard Saylor : 01-16-2009 at 08:13 PM.
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-17-2009, 08:55 AM
New England

Hails from United States

Richard in NC,
Thanks much for the tip. I have a tube of opaque white (water color) so I will give the project a try with that. The whole resist technique that is up for Challenge this month is very new to me so I was at a loss when it called for Gouache. Now, even though I paint mostly decoratively in acrylics, I just may want to give Gouache a try, too! Sounds like an incredible medium with a bad rap. Would like to determine for myself, in the meantime I'll try the opaque watercolor for my project. Kristin
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2009, 07:52 PM

If painted thickly on paper, it can crack easily if the paper is bent. However, with thin application, it's fine, especially when matted with a backboard for protection. Illustration board is a great surface for gouache, but is not archival. Rag matboard is great. All supports can be acrylic primed if you prefer not to work with such an absorbant surface. I haven't used it on panel, but I can't imagine any problem with a hardboard support with acrylic primer. You'd have to use a spacer when framing though, to keep the paint off the glass.

Jamie[/quote]

I've used goauche on acrylic gesso primed hardboard and then varnished it lightly a matt spray varnish. I've lightly sprayed and let it dry then lightly sprayed again (keeping a good two feet between the hardboard and srpay stream I let the varnish fall vertically downward on the hardboard). The varnish falls lightly enough not to change the color drastically. I've painted on 140lb and 185 lb watercolor paper and framed behind uv protected non-glare glass and that has worked well too. I prefer the hardboard and varnish though because the goauche has such a gorgeous matte finish that seems so far away under glass (even when using only a 1/8 inch separation between the glass and the painting.
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2009, 08:41 PM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeybiz
...Illustration board is a great surface for gouache, but is not archival...

The are some illo boards that are 100% rag or others with wood pulp backing that is acid-free. That would be considered archival.

Quote:
...I haven't used it on panel, but I can't imagine any problem with a hardboard support with acrylic primer...

There are some special types of acylic primers that are made to be more porous than others, like Golden's sandable gesso or Art Spectrum's Colourfix, and these work fine with gouache. There are also papers and boards you can buy that have this sort of primed surface already on them, like Ampersand's Aquabord. Gouache really needs an absorbant surface to work well, since it's basically watercolor paint.
My Blog
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-20-2009, 11:42 PM
Enthusiast

Hails from United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

Jumping into this thread a little late, but have been following with interest, so thought I would share my own thoughts:

I use W&N all the time …both watercolour and gouache and they are good quality. They are not especially ‘cheap’ or produce ‘cheap wimpy looking paintings’……producing rich colourful paintings is more about knowing how to handle the medium and how much pigment you use.

Gouache has been traditionally used by illustrators because of its matte opaque finish that reproduce well.

Gouache can be used with many different techniques, used thinly or thickly, on paper or panel. It can be used on gessoed panels and then varnished with a spray varnish, however this is not favoured by everyone. Ralph Parker (Old Tex) is an artist here on WC who uses this method almost exclusively.

As I use watercolour paper, I prefer to frame my paintings under glass, traditionally with a mat.

The type of brushes you use, the amount of pigment to water and type of support will determine the finished outcome and 'look' of your panting.

There are as many different techniques in using gouache as there are in watercolour, so it is important to experiment and find out which techniques work for you and your style of paintings. Gouache is very effective used on coloured printmaking papers such as black Somerset velvet paper (see Deborah Secor’s recent gouache paintings).

I have recently started a new art blog about my own experiences in painting with gouache…….there is a link to my gouache blog in my signature line below.

Gouache is a wonderful versatile medium and the more educated people (and artists) are about it ……the more it will be taken as the serious fine art medium it is.

Maggie
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-21-2009, 12:34 AM
Lord of the Arts
Winston-Salem, NC

Hails from United States

I think most paintings and photographs look better under conventional glass than non-glare glass.
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2009, 04:42 PM
A WetCanvas! Patron Saint
Maryland

Hails from United States

Here is more info on the three different kinds of Schmincke gouache.

And here is MacEvoy (handprint) on gouache.

Keith2, you said that you read "a comparison of half a dozen Gouache makes in a magazine a couple of years ago and W and N came out well". Can you remember exactly where that article was? I'd like to try to find it.

Jan
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 01-22-2009, 11:30 PM
Oceanside, CA

Hails from United States

Gouache is Great! Experiment and see for your self.
-e-in-o'side-

Pagan by Nature