WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > Explore Media > Casein, Gouache, and Egg Tempera
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors

#31   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-20-2006, 03:30 PM
Enthusiast
Austin, TX

Hails from United States
Re: Favorite supports for egg tempera

Ampersand's products use acrylic polymer, and as such, they are less than ideal for egg tempera, that includes Claybord. It's the same as their Gessobord except they use clay instead of marble dust. Making traditional gesso is fun for me, but I may be uncommon in that regards. My panels are by no means heavy from the gesso. I'm not plastering a wall.
My Blog
  #32   Report Bad Post  
Old 12-31-2006, 02:44 PM
A Local Legend
Wonderful Wolves. UK

Hails from Scotland

Painting with ET on ivorex paper glued to foam board gave me good results (comparable to panels).

I used this paper/foamboard combination unsized for a first attempt. I'll post a cat I did on this support in the forum. Actually, its in my signature at the moment...the white kitty.

I think the paper/foam board combo is useful for when you want to do a quick study in ET or for when you do not have a gessoed panel handy.

I have also gessoed another piece of this paper on foam board to try that. I suppose you could just size the paper/foam board support for similar results.

An advantage of this support is if you have to mail the painting overseas. Foam board is so light weight compared to panels.

However, having said all that, I think panels feel really wonderful to work on!!
  #33   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-05-2007, 05:52 PM
France

Hails from France

My favorite support is wood with plaster. But I use gouache and tempera in a little spontaneous way...
  #34   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-10-2007, 05:17 PM

I have used gessogoard and smooth clayboard with success.
  #35   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-05-2007, 08:11 PM
Enthusiast
Great Britain

Hails from United Kingdom

I agree with ambrebrune: wood. Did you mean gesso on wood ?

Kind regards,
Eggy
  #36   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-31-2007, 10:56 PM
Lehigh Valley, PA

Hails from United States

[quote=artbyjune]Painting with ET on ivorex paper glued to foam board gave me good results (comparable to panels).

I've never heard of ivorex paper, can you explain what it is and is it hard to find?

Thanks!

http://www.xanga.com/neuwifeblogs
  #37   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-01-2007, 07:38 PM
Libertyville, Illinois

Hails from Canada

Egg tempera can be painted on canvas, however. Look at the huge (and famous) canvases that have been painted in egg tempera, Bottechelli's "Venus" (standing in a sea shell) and the sister canvas "Primavera". These are in Florence, Italy and very impressive!
  #38   Report Bad Post  
Old 11-09-2007, 07:24 PM

What about masonite prepared with Gamblin oil ground? Would the oil ground be a problem?
  #39   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2008, 06:27 AM

Hi, I don't know how to do this thread business, being a 'new kid on the block' (what is the Quote button for?) Just a reply to 66Bevbon, the 'Primavera' is on wood panels. When I saw it in the flesh, so to speak, in Florence, I was amazed at how the panels were stitched together and not very flat, you could see the wood imperfections and texture quite well. And the 'Venus' is on Poplar wood panel, in London's National Gallery.
  #40   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-08-2008, 07:20 AM
Utrecht, The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewpainting
Hi, I don't know how to do this thread business, being a 'new kid on the block' (what is the Quote button for?) Just a reply to 66Bevbon, the 'Primavera' is on wood panels. When I saw it in the flesh, so to speak, in Florence, I was amazed at how the panels were stitched together and not very flat, you could see the wood imperfections and texture quite well. And the 'Venus' is on Poplar wood panel, in London's National Gallery.
Hit the quote button in the lower right of a post when you want to reply and you get the results I just did - where the person's post you want to respond to is shown in your reply. Type your message underneath (like I just did).

And you are so correct about the "Primavera" and the "Venus" being on wood panels ...thank you for pointing that out.

Judy
`
` ` ` `
  #41   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-15-2008, 04:11 PM

please, Im new here, but love egg painting,cant even spell all the words! Its really wonderful stuff ! get on the computer, punch in on google cennino cennini before 1437 . right there is I think, all kinds of Info. I make my paint from [egg with daniel smith watercolors,brillant stuff] its a shortcut,but nice colors ,& safe,no dust,& quick. what color
  #42   Report Bad Post  
Old 03-17-2008, 07:09 PM
greater NYC area

Hails from United States

Nearly all the information covered in this thread is more thoroughly discussed in the Society of (egg)Tempera Painter's forum. I recommend also reviewing the information provided there on support panels, oil of clove, and all egg tempera topics, which is in-depth and detailed in numerous threads.

Last edited by pinkrybns : 03-21-2008 at 08:20 PM.
  #43   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2008, 10:15 AM
The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

I would certainly like to get a definitive answer to this question: Is acrylic primer okay for use with tempera or not? I use acrylic primer on mdf and then egg tempera. I have read that it makes no difference and then I have read that it does make a difference. Who is right?
  #44   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-21-2008, 11:08 AM
Lord of the Arts
NJ, USA

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeshoffer
I would certainly like to get a definitive answer to this question: Is acrylic primer okay for use with tempera or not? I use acrylic primer on mdf and then egg tempera. I have read that it makes no difference and then I have read that it does make a difference. Who is right?

You're never going to get a definitive answer on that question that's going to come from a universal agreement. You have to look at the evidence supplied, look at the work and reputations of the people making claims, try it on your own, and ask yourself what you're willing to risk and put up with for the benefits you hope to gain.

After all, there is no consensus on whether MDF is a sound surface either. From a standpoint of long-term archival soundness in any art materials, there is very little absolute consensus, because there are so many variables.

Dedicated to wasting bandwidth since 1999.

http://www.jeffgola.com
  #45   Report Bad Post  
Old 05-22-2008, 02:25 PM
The Netherlands

Hails from Netherlands

Thank you Jeff.

I used mdf with acrylic primer but this weekend I am finally going to be able to buy the traditional materials, i.e., rsg & gesso etc.. So far I see no reason not to stick with mdf but I would like to point out that I first removed the wax from the mdf and coated it with mdf primer before applying the acrylic primer.
Since this is going to be my first try with traditional materials I could use lots of advice here. I figure I am going to have to remove the wax first before doing anything else. Is there anything else I should do with the mdf? I am thinking of painting one side of it with mdf primer to protect it from moisture but if anyone has any suggestions I would be glad to hear from them.