WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Learning Center > Student's Dorm
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#16   Report Bad Post  
Old 07-17-2006, 11:10 PM
Bellingham, Wa

Hails from United States
Re: Study at home programs, yay or nay?

ok heres is the thing-they say you get what you pay for however, I believe that it is what you put into a course for the most part and not always just the course that makes you better in all aspects of art.

but alas i am in the same wandering drift as to the where to go? I believe after checking into most of the programs- Famous artists schools is the answer. they have been around for a long time and i found that most of the instructors i have conversed with are willing to give you answers.

Has anyone gone to famous artist schools?

Thanks see ya in color!

norsky
  #17   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-11-2006, 01:18 AM
Bellingham, Wa

Hails from United States

WOW did i get a wake up i paid 995.00 for the famous artists master course in illustration-man this program is from the 50's and did not even come close to what i needed at all.

any other experiences with famous artist schools?
  #18   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-24-2006, 09:43 PM

Hello! Another "study at home" option is the low residency MFA program, which I am currently investigating. Three that I have learned about are Vermont College/Union Institute and University, Art Institute of Boston/Lesley University, and Academy of Art University in San Francisco(no residency at all). The first two require 10 days or so on campus every semester, while the rest of the time is spent working independently at home and in contact with a local mentor. AAU is completely online using high tech interface technology. All seem to have papers and online-type discussions I think. Does anyone have any experience with this kind of program? It sounds ideal for me, but I don't want to get into debt if it is a waste of time. Thanks!
  #19   Report Bad Post  
Old 08-25-2006, 01:25 PM
East Tennessee

Hails from United States

There is a slew of information here on wetcanvas.com that is free.
http://www.wetcanvas.com/Community/P...icle_index.php
Will lead you to some of the various articles and lesson plans.
John Hagan has lots of lessons on several subjects. You will find them in the link above. You might want to check out some of these free lessons before investing in the other.
Marie

My web site: http://www.mariemerritt.com
  #20   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-09-2006, 07:39 AM

Dreamingtree and Barryjohn....Which course did you purchase from Virtual Art Academy? I am considering this also. I am usually just a lurker, but am interested in learning whether this program is for me. I have depleted my local art classes and have considered requesting a particular artist mentor me. Then I found this Virtual Art Academy. I am not sure that I need the beginning material. I have given thought to purchasing just a few segments. The testimonials sound great, but they wouldn't post them if they didn't, right?
  #21   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-10-2006, 10:04 AM
A Local Legend
South Carolina

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamingtree
I don't know anything about Ethan Semmel's Oil program but I actually found a really good home study course. It is packed with information and I am learning a ton from the information. You should check out the program.

www.virtualartacademy.com

Thanks for this link...I've been looking for affordable courses and this really seems to be the best instruction for the money! I've aleady learned a lot just by reading the syllabus. I regret not going to art school when I was young, but it's never too late. By the time I retire (8 years from now) I'm going to be armed with all the knowledge I need to be a better painter.
This will be my art eductation.
Col. 3:23
  #22   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-21-2006, 04:27 PM
Veteran Member
South East Colorado

Hails from United States

The reason that most MFA programs require you to be a full time resident is that it is vital for you to see other people developing pieces that are in a variety of medias, and working from a variety of approaches. It is necassary to have live people interact with your artwork and you personally. The critiques you get verbally or through body language cannot be replaced by a short written critique of your work.

I think CC classes are a great value. As a CC drawing teacher, I can tell you that a number of very tallented students have come through my class, and grown from the curriculum, and the contact with other artists. The only shortfall is that many people who take CC classes are not interested in majoring in art. They may just be taking a gen. ed. or be a senior citizen taking a class to fill their time, and get better at drawing their grandkids. The caliber of students is usually increased in a university classroom.
  #23   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-24-2006, 12:45 PM

hi, yeah, I'm the former Nhayden.
I did choose the online course and I'm almost finished with it actually.
  #24   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-29-2006, 10:01 PM
A Local Legend
South Carolina

Hails from United States

I've decided on Virtual Art Academy and I am very pleased with it so far! I've had a couple of people who have attended art school and taken all the college courses for art degree to look at it and they agree it's comparable-and even one said superiour to what you would get in art school if majoring in studio art. For me, with my schedule, this is the best bet...also works with my small budget. I'd never be able to afford the traditional art school route-priced way beyond my means-this is perfect for me! I'm having a great time and highly recommend it for those who are able to be disciplined to work on their own.
Col. 3:23
  #25   Report Bad Post  
Old 09-30-2006, 08:12 AM
Brisbane

Hails from Australia

I just completed a graduate certificate in graphic communication online through RMIT in Victoria (Australia). It was fantastic!
i could study when it suited me. I did it while working full time.

we had students from London, India and Singapore doing the masters degree.
It was mostly theory.
  #26   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-09-2006, 10:38 PM
San Diego, CA

Hails from United States

What about Art Academy's DVD's for potrait studies. Their newsletter is pretty well written.

Currently enroled in Penn Foster and Art Instructions School (AIS). Penn Foster is less expensive and more responsive and gets you into portrait drawing early on. Penn Foster has an online component.
AIS does not do email, my understanding is the majority of the work they will end up doing with you is in the final development of your portfolio. But if someone needed a structured program in art and illustration I would recommend Penn Foster. Their material is good, and delivered in a timely manner.

Spellbinder in San Diego, CA
  #27   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-10-2006, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spellbinder
What about Art Academy's DVD's for potrait studies. Their newsletter is pretty well written.

Currently enroled in Penn Foster and Art Instructions School (AIS). Penn Foster is less expensive and more responsive and gets you into portrait drawing early on. Penn Foster has an online component.
AIS does not do email, my understanding is the majority of the work they will end up doing with you is in the final development of your portfolio. But if someone needed a structured program in art and illustration I would recommend Penn Foster. Their material is good, and delivered in a timely manner.

Spellbinder in San Diego, CA

I was the one who originally started this post, though I've changed my user name.

I am enrolled in Penn Foster and to be perfectly honest I can't wait for it to be over, I am not happy with the course at all.
I have an appt monday to meet with the assistant director of admissions at the art institute in tampa this monday. I've decided to try and find a way to go to a 'real" school.
I've found that I need and want someone to look at my work and point out what's right and what's wrong and how to fix it.

doing the excercises in the penn foster books leaves me feeling unaccomplished because there is no one to give any feedback.

I have done all the multiple choice tests leaving all the projects for last except one.
I have already done the perspective one and I feel that their grading was lax. I got a 100 and as I look at it I KNOW it didn't deserve a 100. it was full of mistakes and a few lines did not go to the vanishing point.

I think i've learned more from the idiots guide to drawing people than from my school books.

I am sure that penn foster and other online courses are great for some people but it just isnt working out for me.
especially given the fact that I want to get into game design. I need "proper" schooling.
  #28   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2006, 11:09 PM
oregon

Hails from United States

Hi all. I have been trying to learn art on my own, and with a few cc classes for a few years. I havn't had good luck with teachers in cc classes and I don't have a lot of time to devote to it as I work an average of 84 hours a week. I feel the need to learn in a structured step by step way with feed-back. I have started a corrispondence course from Stratford Carrer Institute, and find it pretty comprehensive. They also keep in touch with you, if they don't hear anything for a few weeks. They also answer any questions and give extra resourses as needed. You only get a diploma of completion at the end, but that's probably all I need. FWIW
  #29   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-26-2006, 11:58 PM
Boston, MA

Hails from United States

Hey all,

I'm trying to get back into painting and drawing after about 15 years and I don't really have the time or the money to attend classes so I've been going to the local library (it's that old building in your town with tons of FREE books inside) and I've been reading, learning, and going through the exercises in the art books and teaching myself.

The single best thing you can do to become a better artist is to practice, practice, practice. I try to do the Scavenger Hunts on the Wetcanvas website on my own. I sketch pictures I find on the internet while I'm on the phone at work, I do quick sketches at stop lights in the car, etc. You have to draw and paint as much as you can. Teachers and classes can be great guides and take you to a higher level, but you have to practice the craft ALL THE TIME! I just bought a small Winsor & Newton travel watercolor set and a small cold press water color pad that fits in my jacket pocket and I'm going to start doing watercolor sketches and studies when I have free moments in my busy schedule. Just today I followed along with a lesson in a book entitled "Character Studies in Oil" and I spent 25 minutes painting an eye in oils. I did a pencil sketch of bottle on my desk while I was working and I did another pencil sketch of security badge at my break I was taking for a class at work. You can find the time if you want.

I just discovered a pretty cool book at a discount book shop in New Hampshire for $4 and it's one of the best books I've read on color. It's entitled, "Color: A Course in Mastering the Art of Mixing Colors" by Betty Edwards. You know her as the author of "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" which is another great book for aspiring artists. This book does a great job of explaining how to see color, value, and hue. I love this book. There are some really great books at my library that I've been reading as well.

I'm going to join a local artists group so I can get some critiques on my work and hopefully lots of tips and advice. I also approached the owner of a small, private local art school in my town and I did some bartering with him. I agreed to make him so signs for his studio in exchange for private tutoring and critiques of my work (I graduated from Butera School of Art for their Sign Painting course).

I'm a father of two daughters and working over 60 hours per week and time is very scarce, so this is the method that has been working for me.
  #30   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-27-2006, 10:45 PM

wow, rmercer! Very inspiring, I want to run for my sketchbook! I get discouraged because I can't find a chunk of time to do a portrait the way I'd like to, but I could just paint a great eye and learn a lot. Thanks.