WetCanvas
Home Member Services Content Areas Tools Info Center WC Partners Shop Help
Channels:
Search for:
in:

Welcome to the WetCanvas forums. You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions, articles and access our other FREE features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own photos and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please visit our help center.

Go Back   WetCanvas > The Town Center > Café Guerbois
User Name
Password
Register Mark Forums Read

Salute to our Partners
WC! Sponsors

Our Sponsors
Closed Thread

#1   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2005, 02:50 PM
Enthusiast
Zephyrhills, Florida

Hails from United States
Vegan Artists

I was about 12 when I experienced this event........It changed my life.
I edited it down so it would not be too long............Bob

As I turned the corner to the narrow street and my house, I saw a car parked in the middle. A work-light held above. Loud laughter rolled in waves from this eerie beacon.
It was a crowd of neighborhood men. They circled the car, beer cans in hand. The swagger and laughter bellowed in the autumn night. A band of pirates, brave and bold, they parted with pride, to let this boy see the bounty they had won.
Under that light in the cold night was a deer alone. Strapped and bound with ropes to the fender of the car. Not bigger than the neighborhood dogs. His dead eyes looked at me and I looked back. Blood dripped slowly from his mouth to the pavement. I looked at this beautiful animal, and then to the crowd around. Pirates and men no more, but sad little boys, in big bodies. I walked away in silence and shame.
“While hunters boast and brag and mount their killings to a wall, the man that bends to care for a small animal, is the bravest after all.” Bob

Please post what is important or not important to you about being a vegetarian artist.
I took this photo a few years ago, while on a hike. I am saddened to this day by those sad, lonely eyes.....Bob

Last edited by windsongmeditation : 10-18-2005 at 02:53 PM.
  #2   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Edmonton, AB

Hails from Canada
Re: Vegan Artists

re sad lonely eyes.

How do you know this cow is either sad or lonely. You're being anthropomorphic.

Craig
  #3   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2005, 05:34 PM
Enthusiast
Zephyrhills, Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig D
re sad lonely eyes.

Craig

O.K. I admit I talk to animals and yes sometimes I ascribe human characteristics to them. I don’t think that characterizes me as anthropomorphic mainly because I don’t expect a verbalized answer LOL. I also talk to my van and thank it for continuing to give me good service. I think the word you may be looking for here is “whacko”.

Let me get serious for a minute. There was a draught that year here in Florida, and some animals died. This cow or bull was dehydrated and thereforeI presumed sad. I got her or him (not sure because he/she didn’t get up and I’m a city guy) some water which he/she seemed too weak to drink. There was risk involved because I had to go onto private property to do so. When the owners yelled to get out of there I had to leave. They were not happy that I took photos and I could have gotten shot at. As far as the lonely part, I have no proof of that other than a spirit feeling.

I am neither ashamed or apologize for my sensitivity for all living things.

Thanx for your post……Bob
  #4   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2005, 10:03 PM
Veteran Member
South Florida, with my toes in the sand

Hails from United States

How on earth does what type of food one chooses to eat affect what sort of artist they are? Am I missing something? "Vegetarian Artist"? C'mon.

How about 'what is important or not important to me' about being an Irish Artist? A Texan Artist? A Bespectacled Artist? A Goateed Artist? A Guinness-drinking Artist? An Aloha Shirt-wearing Artist? Unless these traits are somehow reflected in one's art, I can't see the point in these sorts of tags. Do you paint exclusively "Vegetarian Art", mi amigo? Does your work somehow convey a sense or a greater understanding of the vegetarian experience? I don't get it.
  #5   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-18-2005, 11:55 PM
Enthusiast
Zephyrhills, Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettboy
How on earth does what type of food one chooses to eat affect what sort of artist they are? Am I missing something? "Vegetarian Artist"? C'mon.

How about 'what is important or not important to me' about being an Irish Artist? A Texan Artist? A Bespectacled Artist? A Goateed Artist? A Guinness-drinking Artist? An Aloha Shirt-wearing Artist? Unless these traits are somehow reflected in one's art, I can't see the point in these sorts of tags. Do you paint exclusively "Vegetarian Art", mi amigo? Does your work somehow convey a sense or a greater understanding of the vegetarian experience? I don't get it.

Hi jettboy, Thanx for the good questions. Since this is an artist forum I used the phrase vegan artist, if it were a plumber's forum I would have used the phrase vegan plumber etc. etc .

What is important to me as a vegetarian who happens to be an artist, or a vegetarian artist?

There are many reasons one decides to be a vegetarian, but I believe the two basic reasons are health benefits and animal protection. I chose the vegan lifestyle for both of those reasons. I tend however to be more of an animals rights activist.

To answer your question about how being a vegetarian affects my art. Here are some personal examples.

I will not paint a bullfighting scene or show one in my gallery unless that scene is anti-bullfighting.

I will not paint a hunting scene or show one by another artist etc. etc.

What I believe affects every aspect of my life…even my art. What kind of person would you think I was if I didn’t try to be true to what I believe to be right, even if it’s not popular, and even if I am considered a kook ? …..Bob
  #6   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2005, 12:28 AM
Texas

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig D
re sad lonely eyes.

Craig

I know I have no place in this thread as I'm just a lurker on these forums, and I'm not trying to egg an argument but.. I just have to ask..

How do you know that it's not?

-Trish
  #7   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2005, 12:39 AM
Enthusiast
Zephyrhills, Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrishaLaine
I know I have no place in this thread as I'm just a lurker on these forums, and I'm not trying to egg an argument but.. I just have to ask..

How do you know that it's not?

-Trish

Welcome TrishaLaine, Please feel free to ad comments and questions......Bob
  #8   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2005, 01:29 AM
Enthusiast
Canberra, Australia

Hails from Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jettboy

And I am a carnivorous artist. And worse, I eat live animals. I eat live oysters, I eat live bogong moths and I eat live witchety grubs. My art is distinctively blood red and filled with screams. My cat loves to watch me paint and sometimes brings me a live mouse.

I am a Nature Artist 'cause animals love to eat live animals.

Victor.
  #9   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2005, 01:39 AM
A Local Legend
Somewhere out there... Auckland, NZ.

Hails from New Zealand

NOT vegetarian here, but I don't think anyone who spends any time with animals can say they don't have feelings/emotions. Heck anyone can tell when an animal is afraid, nervous, happy, jealous, angry, randy and yah lonely.
I think your cow though from a photo, and from what you are saying and from the pic - lonely, and sad may not be appropriate ( then again they may be). The poor beastie could well have been just sick and as you say hungry and thirsty.
I feel for your experience in seeing that deer .
Oh yeah - I used to keep pet rats too -loved em to bits , and wouldn't hesitate to another BUT......... there are (at least 2)wild rats in my kitchen right now - I have no intention of eating them or using their fur to make a coat - but dammit you bet I went and bought rait bait. I honestly don't care if they are lonely ( well they aren't they have company) and I know they aren't hungry, and sorry - their time is up.
Cheers

Last edited by Drumbeat-trish : 10-19-2005 at 01:44 AM.
  #10   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2005, 09:06 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

If we all became vegetarians...would cows and pigs and chickens all become extinct? Who would raise them?
  #11   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2005, 09:54 AM
Enthusiast
Zephyrhills, Florida

Hails from United States

[quote=Torie]And I am a carnivorous artist.

Yes you are , but I have many freinds and family that are carnivorous, and I love them just the same. My cats are carnivorous and I love them. It would be nice however if you and my cats didn't seem to enjoy it so much .....Bob
  #12   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2005, 10:08 AM
Enthusiast
Zephyrhills, Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ
If we all became vegetarians...would cows and pigs and chickens all become extinct? Who would raise them?

Thanx for the good question RobinZ. I believe their quality of life would have to improve. Take a few minutes and go to http://www.peta.org/ and read what their lives are like now and then you decide. Please come back after and comment.....Thanx.....Bob
  #13   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2005, 10:13 AM
Enthusiast
Zephyrhills, Florida

Hails from United States

Thanx for the post....Drumbeat-trish.......Bob
  #14   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2005, 11:34 AM
A WC! Legend
Almost Philadelphia

Hails from United States

I've been to the PETA site, and others.

But would they even HAVE a life? Except for in zoos, maybe? There would be no reason for them to exist if everyone were vegans, would there? So from their point of view...would they rather be alive but not happy or never alive at all? I wonder?
  #15   Report Bad Post  
Old 10-19-2005, 02:28 PM
Enthusiast
Zephyrhills, Florida

Hails from United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinZ
I've been to the PETA site, and others.

But would they even HAVE a life? Except for in zoos, maybe? There would be no reason for them to exist if everyone were vegans, would there? So from their point of view...would they rather be alive but not happy or never alive at all? I wonder?

Thanx...RobinZ
My purpose of this thread is not to try to convince you or others to be vegetarians or animal activists. You must do what your heart and spirit guide you to do.
When I load cat food and dog food into my van and drive around to the backs of malls and wooded areas etc. to feed hungry animals and talk to them, I feel closer to the favor of the Universe (God), than I ever did in a so-called house of worship.

Sorry for sounding preachy……Bob
My Space 2 www.myspace.com/iloveart2007