A new project has been announced in the WetCanvas! project system!
WC! Tsunami Aid Art Project
Days open for signups:
Maximum participants allowed:
Ron and I are excited to bring you this announcement. The project to benefit the victims of the tsunami is here. All funds from this project will benefit the victims of the tsunami in South Asia and East Africa.
The scale of this tragedy and the need for disaster relief has been described as “unprecedented” by aid workers. With hundreds of thousands dead and millions homeless, many in the WC community feel compelled to reach out.
We all hope for widespread participation by the global WC community in this project.
Let me first thank Ron for agreeing to serve as project leader and thank the many volunteers who participated in the discussion on the direction of the project. Please direct questions regarding this project to project leader: WC member Ron van den Boogaard
A lot of thought has been put into everyone’s concerns and we have come up with a great project, which will keep things simple and focused on art and our desire to help. I will outline it below.
The main goal is to make everyone’s artwork available in the same place and have the WC community behind the project, as well as to keep things simple given the large number of people who have expressed interest. For simplicity and based on the recommendation of Ron and the many volunteers, the art will be made available for sale in a single Art-Agent account (WC’s free sister site) and payments will be collected in the WC paypal account. WetCanvas will then make individual donations to each artist’s charity of choice in their name so they are sent the confirmation/receipt for their donation for tax purposes.
The project will proceed as follows:
1. Join this project and create your original artwork by January 15, 2005. We prefer that all artwork submitted for this project be inspired by the tragic events of the tsunami of December 26, 2004 and its aftermath.
2. Once your artwork is completed, please upload your final images via the project system. You may also upload progress images.
3. To make your piece available for sale to benefit your charity, you will also be asked to complete a web-based questionnaire, which will provide the details necessary for sale and for your charity of choice. The link to the questionnaire will be posted by the end of day on Tuesday. 100% of the proceeds will be donated to your selected charity.
4. Once all artwork is in on January 15, I will then submit a press release and post announcements throughout WC. I am sure many WC members would like to purchase a piece as I know I do. We should then all work on spreading the word to our families and friends. I will also engage in search engine marketing strategies to promote the artwork for sale.
5. As each piece is sold, I will inform the artist where to ship and make the donation in the name of the artist to the charity named by the artist and provide confirmation.
6. The artist should then ship the piece to the customer and provide a tracking number.
7. I will create a page to keep a running tally of the pieces sold to benefit tsunami victims.
8. The artwork will be available for sale until February 28, 2005.
---RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ARTIST---
The artist will be responsible for submitting the piece to the art project system, submitting the questionnaire with details on the piece, and shipping the piece once it’s sold. The artist will be responsible for paying for shipping. Please note there is a possibility that your piece may have to be shipped internationally.
I hope such a simple setup with WC fully behind it, the project will enjoy universal support among members, and keep the focus on the victims of the tragedy and the artwork generated. With this project we can allow each artist to select the charity that they would like to donate to, something that many WC members feel strongly about.
And remember, our contribution is not just in the sales, it will also be in the art created. If we do what we do best (create art), we will be sending a powerful symbol of support that the artistic community wants to help.
Let’s get this project underway!!!
For more information on the project: Click here!
Remember, in order to help keep the discussions on projects organized, you should post your questions, suggestions, and comments on submitted work here in this thread. By doing this, we allow other non-project efforts to not get \"pushed down\" by a swarm of project-related threads.
IMPORTANT ADDITIONAL ANNOUNCEMENT FROM CAFE MODERATORS
If you work from photos or any other existing images, please make sure that you have the copyright for the images you are working from.
Basing a work from a newsource photograph or any other image you do not own the copyright for makes your art unavailable for sale in the project and defeats the purpose of the project.
Please do not incur legal liability for yourself or spend time only to have your work pulled from the project. If you work from photos or other images, only use photos that you have taken or images that you own the copyright for.